• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I dont have any Wal-Mart stories about guns, since I buy at my local shops. But I do have a good one though.

I went to purchase 24Sq of shingles for the old house I was re-modeling a few years back at a local lumber store, (That surprisingly is no longer in business). I went to the counter found what i wanted, got it priced(after telling the sales guy how many bundles were in a square:n00b: but I let that one go) and was going to pay, then the guy asked when I needed them deliverd. I asked if I could get them sent out on saturday so they would be there first thing monday morning would be great. The sales guy said "yea no problem, but its suppose to rain saturday night, you may not want them sitting out all weekend getting wet":n00b::n00b::n00b:.

I politely excused myself and bought somewere else.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    OK? Beta fish DO breathe air. So the baggie should have had an ample supply before being tied off. If this is what you are referring to then she was right. And putting it into a plastic shopping bag can take away their air supply if there is not enough room to to get to the air.

Technically she was half right... because like you said, they do breathe air, however the moral of the story is that it was already in the tied off baggie with the air and water. Putting that bag in another bag wouldn't do any harm. It's not like the extra bag is going to restrict more air from entering the already air-tight baggie... :n00b:

I'm just going to stop there, cause it seems like you've had a rough day. :):

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    IMO we as the "experts" in our hobby need to educate and not criticize others for not having the same knowlege of firearms as we do.

IMO the gentlemen who got upset with the Walmart associate who pointed the gun at him handled it wrong. Yes I wouldn't want to have a gun pointed at me either and I can understand why he would be upset.
    I would have showed the associate the proper way of handling the gun and let it go at that.
    I believe the gentleman actions did nothing more than to alienate the Walmart associate and his manager. Worst than that their opinions of gun owners might have been tarnished because of it.

We all were begininers at one time and most of us have done stupid things with firearms. Everyone of us had help from someone(s) who had a better understanding of firearms to get to where we are today.

If all us had gotten criticized and not help how far along do you think we would have gotten?
    So instead of criticizing we need to help those who just simply don't know any better. In turn, we may find another person who loves guns as much as we do.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    I bought paint at Walmart once, painted most of an enclosed porch with it and had to get another gallon to finish. I started painting with the second batch and it was way off in color from the first. I took it back but no matter what the guy did, he couldn't match the color. He looked at the can from the first gallon and discovered that the guy had used white paint instead of the base that was supposed to be used to mix color. Of course, they were out of the white paint (who runs out of white paint?) so I was stuck with the other. Lowe's for paint, Walmart for cat litter and paper towels.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    IMO we as the "experts" in our hobby need to educate and not criticize others for not having the same knowlege of firearms as we do.

IMO the gentlemen who got upset with the Walmart associate who pointed the gun at him handled it wrong. Yes I wouldn't want to have a gun pointed at me either and I can understand why he would be upset.
    I would have showed the associate the proper way of handling the gun and let it go at that.
    I believe the gentleman actions did nothing more than to alienate the Walmart associate and his manager. Worst than that their opinions of gun owners might have been tarnished because of it.

We all were begininers at one time and most of us have done stupid things with firearms. Everyone of us had help from someone(s) who had a better understanding of firearms to get to where we are today.

If all us had gotten criticized and not help how far along do you think we would have gotten?
    So instead of criticizing we need to help those who just simply don't know any better. In turn, we may find another person who loves guns as much as we do.

My point is that if someone is working in a certain department and has no knowledge of the items in their department there should be training for that department......

Would you want someone who didn't know anything about cars changing your oil? Or would you simply go out and "show him the proper way" to change your oil? :twocents:

Granted if one of my friends didn't know any better then of course I'm going to show them the proper way..... Someone who I don't know who is being paid to handle customer service and weapons should know what the hell he is doing with both....... They have like a 4 hour class on customer service but nothing on gun safety when they sell firearms??? Come on...

Refer to this thread even though it is about gun stores, the same idea applies

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...sion/169986-gun_store_pointing_etiquette.html

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Catch-22

If you want "gun store knowledgeable" people selling you your guns, go to a gun store.

If you want Walmart prices, then you pretty much have to expect "Walmart help".

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Catch-22

If you want "gun store knowledgeable" people selling you your guns, go to a gun store.

If you want Walmart prices, then you pretty much have to expect "Walmart help".
    Not necessarily. Look at it the other way.

If Walmart wants to sell guns, then they should train some associates on how to handle and sell guns, familiarize them with applicable law, and make sure that they have a basic understanding of the product.

If they don't want to do that, then don't sell guns. These are not staplers or 3-hole punches we're talking about here. These are guns that, if not handled/used properly, can have deadly consequences. "I don't know" is a better answer than incorrect information.

It is not up the consumer or OP of this thread to "expect" sub standard help simply because it is not a "gun" store.

This is not limited to Walmart BTW. Every single one of any big box retailer is guilty of the same thing. They've all had to cut corners to the point of not having $$$ to adequately train staff and we've all just grown to "expect" that all of the help doesn't really know the products and that is "OK" with us. After all, we have other resources to get the correct info.

They don't even staff check out counters half the time anymore. We've grown to expect that we will check ourselves out too. (Although there are times I do prefer this when I have just an item or two. After all, that way I don't have to deal with any associates).

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    My point is that if someone is working in a certain department and has no knowledge of the items in their department there should be training for that department......

Would you want someone who didn't know anything about cars changing your oil? Or would you simply go out and "show him the proper way" to change your oil? :twocents:

Granted if one of my friends didn't know any better then of course I'm going to show them the proper way..... Someone who I don't know who is being paid to handle customer service and weapons should know what the hell he is doing with both....... They have like a 4 hour class on customer service but nothing on gun safety when they sell firearms??? Come on...

Refer to this thread even though it is about gun stores, the same idea applies

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...sion/169986-gun_store_pointing_etiquette.html

I understand your point, but by not showing the employee the correct way, chances are they are still doing the same thing and nothing ever changed.
    When it comes to guns I always try to be more patience, since it's such an important issue. I believe the more people we can teach the better. I think if people are more comfortable around firearms it helps our cause. I understand that in some cases they should already know, but I'm still going to help that person regardless.

I don't go anywhere to change my oil either. There's a reason the local oil changed place in our town recently lost a very large law suit. They're beyond my help. lol

Joshnbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I dont have any Wal-Mart stories about guns, since I buy at my local shops. But I do have a good one though.

I went to purchase 24Sq of shingles for the old house I was re-modeling a few years back at a local lumber store, (That surprisingly is no longer in business). I went to the counter found what i wanted, got it priced(after telling the sales guy how many bundles were in a square:n00b: but I let that one go) and was going to pay, then the guy asked when I needed them deliverd. I asked if I could get them sent out on saturday so they would be there first thing monday morning would be great. The sales guy said "yea no problem, but its suppose to rain saturday night, you may not want them sitting out all weekend getting wet":n00b::n00b::n00b:.

I politely excused myself and bought somewere else.

you wouldnt believe how many people think that hosing off their air conditioner will hurt it

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    One reason I do not shop for guns at Walmart. In fact, since I reload now I do not even buy ammo from there. I'll pick up some Rem-Oil from time to time and that's it.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    I was in Big R a few weeks ago,the guy behind the counter tried to sell me a double action revolver that was clearly a single action.I tried to explain the difference but it was like trying to explain the theory of relativity to my dog.:dunno:

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I work at Wal-mart

A few months back I noticed that our local Wal~Mart is carrying guns again. They were proudly displaying several pump shotguns without any barrels attached and trigger locks in place.

Not having had any work for quite some time, I applied for a job there and in June I got hired for Lawn & Garden. At my 90 day evaluation they suggested moving me to Tire & Lube Express as an order writer. I reminded them of my gun shop experience which was listed on my resume, application, and that I had mentioned in my initial interview. "Oh, you know about guns?"

Theoretically I have been transferred to Sporting Goods but the L&G manager keeps assigning me work.

A month ago the assistant store manager over the sporting goods area agreed to order some 44 mag rifles for deer season but she hasn't done it yet. I can't even get them to display all the guns they have.

As to the OP - I once saw a clerk in a big box store (don't remember for sure now which one) try to sell .22 LR to someone who asked for .22 mag. I spoke up and told the customer not to buy them.

Top Bottom