More WW2 Bunker exlporation in Normandy, France.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    How much rope do you have? The advantage to the boat anchor is that you might be able to wedge it in this brush or even the other entrance. Peut-etre?

Well I didn't think of using the boat anchor as an anchor. :facepalm:
    I jus thave 10 meters of rope.

I might be able to wedge it in the grass, throw the rope above the block and climb from the other side. :dunno:
    Not sure if it would hold ... :dunno:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I found some metal hooks sticking from the top of a wall.
    If they are made of the same thing used for the ladder that's really solid.

The ladder could even use thicker steel than those hooks.

122ymo8.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sylvain - are you posting in real-time, as you are doing it?

If so, that would be amazing. Its like you're a French explorer-cyborg in a MMORPG controlled by a bunch of Hoosier gun geeks.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sylvain - are you posting in real-time, as you are doing it?

If so, that would be amazing. Its like you're a French explorer-cyborg in a MMORPG controlled by a bunch of Hoosier gun geeks.

:):

No, I'm back home.
    I will try suggestions from crazy geek Hoosiers later though.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Well that was the plan, only it didn't work so well.

1z4iwi1.jpg

I had a grappling hook and some rope.
    I threw it a couple of times but couldn't get it to stick, plus with my wet shoes I couldn't get a good grip on the concrete either. :noway:

Turns out it's not as easy as you see on TV. :):

Batman10.jpg

Some inspiration for ya buddy! :patriot:
    [video=youtube;cXWUSwu0r9Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXWUSwu0r9Q[/video]

JohnE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How about trying to hook the rungs of the "ladder" inside to hook on to and climb up from there? You're just trying to get to the top so you can climb down. Also cool pics. All of the ones that you have posted of the bunkers are awesome keep up the good work!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Slyvain,

Until this thread I always just thought of you as our resident European who liked to slum with us Hoosier Hillbillies as an experiment in immersive anthropology...Now I see that you are our experiment and you enable us to live vicariously through your adventures....

From this day forth I consider you INGO's very own Gopro camera who shows us things that our Grandfather's may have seen that we would never get the chance to see...Thank you from the bottom of my heart....

From where the sun now sets I will no longer call the Arche De Triomphe the Arch De Full Retreat...:)

Thanks again for a wonderful thread...I hope to meet you in the real world sometime...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Slyvain,

Until this thread I always just thought of you as our resident European who liked to slum with us Hoosier Hillbillies as an experiment in immersive anthropology...Now I see that you are our experiment and you enable us to live vicariously through your adventures....

From this day forth I consider you INGO's very own Gopro camera who shows us things that our Grandfather's may have seen that we would never get the chance to see...Thank you from the bottom of my heart....

From where the sun now sets I will no longer call the Arche De Triomphe the Arch De Full Retreat...:)

Thanks again for a wonderful thread...I hope to meet you in the real world sometime...

:):

Glad you like the thread.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Monsieur Sylvain, you realize, of course, that Cthulu lives at the bottom of that shaft, right? I know you are in France, but surely you have seen some schlocky B-grade American horror movies, haven't you? All you need to do is bring a long a hot jeune fille on your next expedition, and you will be doomed, doomed...

So make sure your GoPro is streaming live video to INGO. :D

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    I guess my urge to go out there with a shovel and a metal detector would probably be frowned upon, then? :laugh:

I'd have 2 concerns: first, there's probably so much spent ammo and other scrap that your detector would be going off every minute or two. Second, coming upon unexploded ordnance with a shovel! Given the sandy nature of the soil, I suspect there's more UXB around than one might think!

More than a billion artillery shells were fired during WW1, and it's estimated than as many as 1/3 were duds. WW1 gas shells have been unearthed and set off by other ordnance at the Jefferson Proving Ground in southern Indiana! Makes it interesting to live around there!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Slyvain,

He's a Hoosier with a French accent :patriot:An awesome fellow!

Top Bottom