• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Haven't found any but the mushroom hunters are showing up on the cameras so they must be out there.

:bat:

We spent some time last Saturday looking and decided we were a week too early. So the rain we needed came this week but it looks like the temps are going to fall. Timing....

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    6286b64688066d65b55fd653b034f884.jpg

One, by accident...left it there.

Didn’t look for any others.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Took yesterday off from hunting them. Did fry up some of Thursday s bounty with some bluegill. Be interesting to see what the cold snap does to production.

Monday should be a day that you hear them pop up.

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Just talked to my son, said he found several nice pheasant back mushrooms. I've never heard or tried them but I googled them and it says they are good.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Went out today not expecting much because of the cold, but came back with a sack full.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I don't have land available but I do have a large city park next door. I wonder what the city would say to shroom hunters? :dunno:

...if I was caught of course.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay so we have "regular" morels on our property but far more of these. Not sure if they are snake heads or something else?

I know the false morels are similar with the free floating cap instead of it connecting back into the stem. I am located in Hamilton county so I don't think I am far enough north for the ones that will kill you.

What say INGO?

wGdfEN3h.jpg

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Okay so we have "regular" morels on our property but far more of these. Not sure if they are snake heads or something else?

I know the false morels are similar with the free floating cap instead of it connecting back into the stem. I am located in Hamilton county so I don't think I am far enough north for the ones that will kill you.

What say INGO?

Personally, I'd eat the livin' heck out of those ! :drool:

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods

What say INGO?

wGdfEN3h.jpg

A false morel will not have a hollow stem like the true morel does. So if you slice one open and it isn’t completely hollow, think twice before eating it!

Last edited:

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Have not heard the term snake head before. I always thought of them as being an early “black”. That’s what we call the early ones.

But yes, you are good to go on those. I have yet to get out but hope to hit it this weekend. Good luck!

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Have not heard the term snake head before. I always thought of them as being an early “black”. That’s what we call the early ones.

But yes, you are good to go on those. I have yet to get out but hope to hit it this weekend. Good luck!

Well I always called them by their slang name of pecker heads until I had two daughters...LOL

Also wasn't sure if INGO would auto sensor.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I assume I am good to go? Are these just snake heads before the stem gets long?

Those look like snakeheads.
    Several years ago I got a haul of those out of the woods. When I find them the caps are usually more brown than your picture. Good eating either way.

Have you found any gray morel's yet? Those are my favorite.

Top Bottom