• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Are they a name brand the ones you bought at dunnams? Normaly if they are non corrosive it will say on the box. But more than likley they are corrosive. Those listed in the spam can are mil surp and are corrosive, no big deal just clean out the bore with some water after he is done shooting

The bullets I bought at Dunhams were just wrapped in paper with a little twine. There are no stamp marks on the bullets. They are plain but shiny.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    The bullets I bought at Dunhams were just wrapped in paper with a little twine. There are no stamp marks on the bullets. They are plain but shiny.
    I love those tiny packages. They remind me of harry potter. Anyone ever seen that movie? Those tiny packages dropped by owls as they crap on students and their breakfast

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My 16 year old son is a history buff & very interested in Russia & the Soviet Union. He got a 1932 Mosin Nagant with the hex receiver over the weekend. It came with all the accessories. He's already taken the gun apart at least three times to make sure all of the cosmoline is off the gun. He loves the gun and can't wait to fire it. Any tips from the pros for when he does finally get to shoot it?

While I am certainly not a pro, my tip is just make sure the rifle is shouldered properly and have a good stance. Squeeze trigger, get a loud bang, and wait for the smile! :D

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    7.62x54r.net says all surplus ammo is corrosive, is this true?
    I'd say it's a safe assumption. That site is pretty authoritative on all things Mosin-related. Better to err on the side of caution and treat it as corrosive (rinse the barrel with water or Windex right after shooting to neutralize any corrosive salts) than to risk damage to the barrel.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    7.62x54r.net says all surplus ammo is corrosive, is this true?

I can't say 100% that it ALL is, but in my experience all of the surplus ammo I have seen has been corrosive. I pretty much just assume that all surplus ammo I get or see is corrosive. From what I have seen, usually any current production ammo that is non corrosive will have it printed on the box. Most surplus ammo doesn't have a box, just wrapped in paper.

Adamska

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    Michigan City
    Also make sure he leans into it! Its not as bad of a recoil as people say less then a 12GA but leaning is always best with any rife to lean forward so the recoil is not knocking ya back also someone else already mentioned this a good stance is good!

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I don't have anything against mosins other that its a five shot bolt gun that can be difficult to scope. I know they are cheap and the ammo is cheap but the way i figure it, if I don't get one I'm just 150 bucks closer to something I would really enjoy more.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    When my son got his Mosin over the weekend he was excited that he was able to get the rifle for the same price as two new release video games. Since he beats most games in the first day or two & plays them little afterwards the Mosin was a much better investment.

Top Bottom