• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm looking at the Mossberg Shockwave for a home defense/truck gun. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm starting to feel my age (60) so I'm considering getting a 20g that would be kinder to my tired old body. Would it be a mistake to buy this gun in a 20g for this purpose?

Another aspect to this would be to buy the 12g and use mini shells. Anyone using them? I'd like to know more about them in terms of stopping power and cost vs. the 20g.

Also, am I making a mistake by not looking harder at the Remington Tac14? Especially the DM model?

I own a shockwave.
    The mossberg top tang safety is located in a better place than the remington.
    I wish they made a 10gauge. Stay with the 12, you can always load down with lighter loads to get the 20 gauge recoil and go back up to fart around.
    The grip minimizes recoil. It is very easy on the strong hand unlike the persuaders of past. The lead hand must maintain a tight grip and utilize the strap on heavy mags.
    I've run everything from birdshot to heavy 00buck. Patterned minishells last weekend. Very mild recoil and a 12X7 spread @ 10 yards. Heavy hotter loads patterned tighter than the mini shells.
    It is basically a sawed off shotgun that is legal due to manufacture process and meeting length requirements.
    I do have the opsol adapter installed. in and out in 2 seconds, or less. $15.
    This is a perfect home defense or truck gun, snake gun. It is a gun your wife can grab and point at an intruder and be on target without much practice with mini shells, heavy mags require proper grip, but it still is very easy on the hands. Don't hold close to face with mags, extremely shootable from the hip. I added a rail and a light with a pressure pad for night time critters. With the utg laser, no practice required, check youtube. I keep it stacked with the mini shells, if something can take 9 of those at close range then i have a pretty handy club to finish the deed, can't see that being the case.

A 12X7 is fairly wide going down the hallway when compared to a pattern of .45. 11 pellets in the mini x 9.

Welcome to INGO. A quality 1st post!

I'd like to know where you placed the pressure pad. My 870 has a Streamlight with pad on the foregrip & that setup works very well. Since your laser is on the top, is the pressure pad on the side of the grip?

I've also ordered the Opsol adapter but don't have it yet. I'm not sure yet if a mini-shell is a better choice for home defense over a light recoil load. I'll need to do some research.

Coal Black

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Evansville
    Welcome to INGO. A quality 1st post!

I'd like to know where you placed the pressure pad. My 870 has a Streamlight with pad on the foregrip & that setup works very well. Since your laser is on the top, is the pressure pad on the side of the grip?

I've also ordered the Opsol adapter but don't have it yet. I'm not sure yet if a mini-shell is a better choice for home defense over a light recoil load. I'll need to do some research.
    I did put it on the grip, left side. That way I have control with pressure with my finger tips. If the pressure is up due to threats it is a sure thing it’s on. Took a few try’s to get the spot I liked. The minis seem pretty stout. 275 grains at 1200 FPS is almost 900# of kinetic energy. Videos on YouTube show it going through a simulated wall and a foot of ballistic gel. Plenty of punch for inside.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Took my 20ga Shockwave out today for the first time. When I got it, first thing I did was change the strap so my fingers wouldn't rub on the screws;

20180914_141533w_zpsiyiz5kav.jpg

20180914_120329w_zpscoo5pvji.jpg

Put 35 rds of birdshot, 15rds of buckshot through it. No problem putting it in front of my face and aiming it.

One round of federal #3 buckshot at about 7yds

20180914_120645w_zpsysnmicl1.jpg

3rds at about 5yds

20180914_124322w_zps7mhhr5kn.jpg

No malfunctions.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'm pushing 40 and ditched my 12ga guns for 20ga. Gun is a lot lighter and a tad softer shooting. Far as power factor goes the 20 is plenty nasty.

Now I'm thinking about getting a Mossberg in 20 GA...I prefer the placement of the safety on the Mossberg over that of the Remington!

In a hallway...#3 shot in a 20 GA is more than sufficient to protect those whom you love!

Last edited:

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I have the 12. Get the twenty. The 12 is fun for playing in the yard. But for social work, something more controllable would be better. Oh, by the way, 20 in Federal flight control would be much preffered.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I have the 12 gauge and it does kick quite a bit. I love my Shockwave and its a fun gun but imo it isn't good for self defense. Very hard to sight down the barrel and hard to hit anything from the hip. For a truck I would stick with a pistol and for home I would use one of the short tactical shotguns that are out there.
    I agree with you about recoil but have to disagree as for its accuracy for self defense. sound like you could use a lil more practice with it. Watch the Clint Smith video and do as he does. Push it out there and use the barrel like your pointing ur finger at the target and squeeze!!! BEAST!!
    I've shot everything for birdshot 00 buck, 4 buck and***,SLUGS! S&B sells some 00buck that is low recoil for the faint of heart.

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’m really fascinated by the looks of the Tac14 with the wood stock. It has that old skool cool look to it. I have wanted one for a while but just have too many irons in the fire right now to get one. I prefer the look and feel of a Remington over the Mossberg but I do like the safety position on the Mossy. I have an 870 Police for home use now, as well as a couple Ithaca Military Pumps and a Mossberg 930 in 12ga so I think the Tac14 will fit in just fine. Oh, I have seen a Mossberg with a brace that really looked awesome! Maybe once I finish a few current projects I’ll be able to pick one up.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I agree with you about recoil but have to disagree as for its accuracy for self defense. sound like you could use a lil more practice with it. Watch the Clint Smith video and do as he does. Push it out there and use the barrel like your pointing ur finger at the target and squeeze!!! BEAST!!
    I've shot everything for birdshot 00 buck, 4 buck and***,SLUGS! S&B sells some 00buck that is low recoil for the faint of heart.
    I should have said sighting down the barrel is awkward to me, I have no trouble hitting a target (but when shooting from the hip) with it though it does shoot a few inches high. I still stand by imo that they aren't the best truck gun.

I still love my shockwave, have put around a thousand rounds through it with no failures and the action has became buttery smooth. I am interested in the Tac-17 with the wood furniture when they are released.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Ugh, I still haven't shot mine. I added a sling and a little grip tape. I was hoping to mount a laser some how. Post up some laser pics please if you guys have one installed.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I should have said sighting down the barrel is awkward to me, I have no trouble hitting a target (but when shooting from the hip) with it though it does shoot a few inches high. I still stand by imo that they aren't the best truck gun.

I still love my shockwave, have put around a thousand rounds through it with no failures and the action has became buttery smooth. I am interested in the Tac-17 with the wood furniture when they are released.
    1000 rds!!!! GEEZUS, if i intended to do THAT i'd buy the 20 as well:):

EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.

Tac 14 hardwood has been on the shelves for about 2 plus weeks now. They are at LGS. Very nice gun.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well, if you want either for a home defense setup, then I highly suggest you buy at least the SB Tactical arm brace and possibly the "Boom kit" for the 12ga (ported shorty barrel to keep recoil down, plus arm brace).

brownells-boom-kit.jpg

Should turn the Shockwave into a pretty handy little house sweeper (same for the Tac-14) and no need to mess with a Form 1 and a $200 stamp.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Well, if you want either for a home defense setup, then I highly suggest you buy at least the SB Tactical arm brace and possibly the "Boom kit" for the 12ga (ported shorty barrel to keep recoil down, plus arm brace).

brownells-boom-kit.jpg

Should turn the Shockwave into a pretty handy little house sweeper (same for the Tac-14) and no need to mess with a Form 1 and a $200 stamp.

I can only imagine how that hard, thin edged plastic stock is going to hurt my shoulder with a 12 gauge. No thanks, I'll keep my 20 gauge and shoot it as is. It doesn't need taming. ;)

Last edited:

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    20180924_164727w_zps2pezfkvf.jpg

I came across this by chance the other day. They had it on sale for $17 plus shipping($25 total). Didn't want to post about until I got it to check it out. Got it yesterday. Seems well built. Great case for the shockwave or Tac-14. Or even slightly longer arms with the adjustable length. However, the sale is over. Back to $22 plus shipping.

NC Star Tactical Shotgun Scabbard

Top Bottom