• ...and so much more!
  • nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    because even with attempting to use good technique (i.e. holding it in front of your face so you can sight down the top), most adult males won't be able to use this weapon effectively in 12ga. It's that simple.

Yep. That's why I bought the 20ga. No way would I be comfortable putting a 12ga in front of my face. I didn't buy it to hip shoot it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The proper way to use this piece is not to site it. Point shoot the dang thing. Not really all that hard to master. This weapon was not intended for any real range anyway.

That may be proper for you, but it's not the way people who are skilled with shooting them use them. Clint Smith, Gabe Suarez and a few others do well with them using the front bead and all recommend using them that way. I know from experience that I can't hit a torso sized target at 10 yards consistently shooting a 12ga Shockwave with 00 buckshot from below eye level.

How much experience do you have with a 12ga Shockwave with 00 buckshot? I know that what I believed I could do before I was on the range did not match very well with what I actually could do on the range shooting at steel.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Well, well... what do we have here?

A way to mount a laser to my Shockwave. Hmm...
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...crimson-trace-laser-sights-optics-and-lights/

The owners manual states that the Mossberg Shockwave is designed to be fired from the hip, and that's what I'm going to do with my 20 gauge.
    But as Rhino noted, it would take some practice to solidify that skill .... so a green laser came to my rescue.

As you can see, it's already mounted. The UTG unit is aircraft grade aluminum, and is available on Amazon for about $ 75 ..... and has a 1 year guarantee.
    The beam is called a "bulldot", and at five yards (as pictured), the dot is about 1.25 inches in diameter. The photo makes the dot look fuzzy, but it isn't. It's a very crisp series of fine concentric rings. :)

i-4nXrJWc-XL.jpg

i-dZbXgCq-XL.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The owners manual states that the Mossberg Shockwave is designed to be fired from the hip, and that's what I'm going to do with my 20 gauge.

Okay, that's what I get for not reading the owner's manual carefully. I had no idea that was in the manual and I'm surprised that it is, unless the intent is to further minimize liability.

I was wrong!

(still not going to use it that way, through)

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Okay, that's what I get for not reading the owner's manual carefully. I had no idea that was in the manual and I'm surprised that it is, unless the intent is to further minimize liability.

I was wrong!

(still not going to use it that way, through)

I must admit that I was surprised too ...... but there it was. :)

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I had no idea that was in the manual and I'm surprised that it is, unless the intent is to further minimize liability.

That's exactly why it's there. Like you said, there are several videos of guys aiming 12ga models with no problems. Not saying that shooting the 12 that way is for everyone. Including me.

But with my 20ga, aiming is no problem. And to mention, I'm a small to medium framed old man. I've shot about 150 rounds through mine with no worries about getting hit in the face. The few times I shot it from the hip it was just for fun, since I knew I probably wouldn't hit the target.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have the tac14 in 12ga it is a bit heavier than the mossberg but not by a whole lot. I'm 130 lbs and have the arms of an 8 year old girl and have no problem shooting it out in front of my face. I've shot a variety of loads the worst one so far is 1 1/4 high brass 4 shot and it still wasnt that bad.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have the tac14 in 12ga it is a bit heavier than the mossberg but not by a whole lot. I'm 130 lbs and have the arms of an 8 year old girl and have no problem shooting it out in front of my face. I've shot a variety of loads the worst one so far is 1 1/4 high brass 4 shot and it still wasnt that bad.

It's about geometry more then strength. Your arms are long enough to manage that technique properly, which is good for you.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Odd. My post from last night is missing.

I shot mine for the 1st time at my sister's last night. I used the OpSol adapter and Aguila mini shells. My niece even shot it. You can one hand it and shoot it from any position it's so easy. It functions 100% and was pretty fun. The combination of the OpSol and mini shells in the 12g makes the softer recoil from the 20 gauge irrelevant imo.

I had also temporarily put a laser on top of it to help aim from the hip. It worked great.

I still dont know for sure if I'll keep it. I just don't anywhere to shoot shotguns let alone this crazy thing.

Last edited:

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    The combination of the tac-sol and mini shells in the 12g makes the softer recoil from the 20 gauge irrelevant imo.

I respectfully disagree. The mini shells are more expensive, and only offer 3 options. There are many more options available with the 20ga that are less expensive, and probabably more effective.

HOTSHOT357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2018
    Lafontaine
    I bought a Mossberg ATI tactical cruiser and I installed a laser/light combo. This thing is a "hoot" to shoot, and with the laser it is very accurate. You will have practice with this firearm.Pulling the trigger and then racking the next shell into place is not easy for me. This is my first pump.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The temporarily mounted laser worked so well that I bought the Crimson Trace Lasersadle. It's fantastic! What a fun blaster this thing is.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    While at Linden yesterday, I took my 20ga shockwave over to the clay pigeon range, just for kicks. I had them launch 3 birds for me. I hit one of three!!:rockwoot:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have 2 Shockwaves. One in .410bore, and the other in 12ga.
    I will have the 20ga eventually, just because...

I grew up with the Mossberg 500. It was my first, and only shotgun for the first 10 years of my owning firearms.
    I have all 3 of the 500's, 12ga, 20ga, and .410bore.

When Mossberg first released the Shockwave, I knew immediately that I would own all 3 at some point.
    I bought the .410bore first because it was the first one I found available.
    The 12ga was gifted to me, and I'm currently hunting for a deal on a 20ga.

I'm not built like a bruiser, but have no issues firing the 12ga from the hip, AND hitting what I'm aiming at consistently.
    Then again, I have a LOT of trigger time behind that 12ga 500.
    I am more than just comfortable shooting from the hip for self defense.
    I'm confident, even in low light, that I could hit my intended target, even from the hip.

Not every firearm is ideal for everyone, but that Shockwave is REALLY close for me!

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Picked-up my Shockwave (20 gauge) at the end of 2018 ..... love it ! Yup, it's made to be fired from the hip.

i-XQ82N3X-L.jpg

Top Bottom