• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Get the 20 gauge. No reason for a 12 even if you're a big dude and the recoil doesn't matter to you. 20 has PLENTY of power, you get back on target much quicker, and the shells are smaller and lighter (typically more capacity).

As what was posted up thread.....refer to Mass Ayoob. 20 gauge is the answer if you must use a shotgun.

But the real answer is.....get an AR. Its the proper tool for what youre describing.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    20181104_132025w_zps03r3adi8.jpg

Had my 20ga out today for the third time. Put 60 rds through it. I'm having a lot of fun shooting it! After the first trip, I out a piece of bicycle tire tube over the handgrip. But after about 20 rds, it slid up about half an inch. This week I added some Lizard skin bat grip tape.

20181104_120731w_zps1xnvrm57.jpg

https://lizardskins.com/baseball/bat-grip/durasoft-polymer-bat-grip-11-mm

It's adhesive backed and stayed in place today.

Got to share with other shooters last weekend and they all loved it. One guy even shot it one handed just for fun.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Get the 20 gauge. No reason for a 12 even if you're a big dude and the recoil doesn't matter to you. 20 has PLENTY of power, you get back on target much quicker, and the shells are smaller and lighter (typically more capacity).

As what was posted up thread.....refer to Mass Ayoob. 20 gauge is the answer if you must use a shotgun.

But the real answer is.....get an AR. Its the proper tool for what youre describing.

Amen! I've used a 20g for years, and I'm a big guy. For what I need, I've just never felt a reason to "super-size" to a 12g.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Also, since we were discussing Shockwave alternatives in this thread, there are two other recent contenders:

Ithaca Stackeout II

https://ithacagun.com/product/stakeoutii/

FTG-Stakeout-2-RH-side.jpg

Charles Daly Honcho

https://www.charlesdaly.com/f.php?id=82

prodotti_immagini_immagine_962.jpg

The Ithaca Stakeout II is pretty new, being announced in October. The Charles Daly Honcho was announced early this year, but the first time I laid eyes on one was at the 1500 this last weekend (though I'm sure they've been out before that).

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    So the 20 ga came in and I cant wait to shoot it. Showed it to my wife and we talked about how the grip works in theory, that is a 20ga and would have less recoil than a 12. She said “Now that looks like something that will be really fun to shoot. I can’t wait to try that. Let’s go to your dads.” I was stunned. My wife has never shown a real interest in shooting anything. (But she will listen to me talk about different guns.) Anyway, it comes in under 6 lbs loaded and feels really well balanced.

Oh man that Stakeout is old school cool.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    So the 20 ga came in and I cant wait to shoot it. Showed it to my wife and we talked about how the grip works in theory, that is a 20ga and would have less recoil than a 12. She said “Now that looks like something that will be really fun to shoot. I can’t wait to try that. Let’s go to your dads.” I was stunned. My wife has never shown a real interest in shooting anything. (But she will listen to me talk about different guns.) Anyway, it comes in under 6 lbs loaded and feels really well balanced.

Oh man that Stakeout is old school cool.

I think you'll like it. More importantly, I think your wife will too. :)

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    My vote would be for the 20 ga. A lot less recoil and whatever is getting down range won't know the difference. If you really want the 12 ga, then you have the option of either
    handloading some recoil reduced loads or buying some 1 ounce loads.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The 12 + a OpSol mini-clip 2.0 adapter & Aguila mini-shells is pretty much a 20 + more ammo isn't it?

Sadly, I have yet to fire mine. :(

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree with you about recoil but have to disagree as for its accuracy for self defense. sound like you could use a lil more practice with it. Watch the Clint Smith video and do as he does. Push it out there and use the barrel like your pointing ur finger at the target and squeeze!!! BEAST!!
    I've shot everything for birdshot 00 buck, 4 buck and***,SLUGS! S&B sells some 00buck that is low recoil for the faint of heart.

I have learned the hard way that my arms are too short to shoot the Shcokwave that way. I can't get it far enough away from my face.

And the mag tube follower is stuck, so until I take it apart to put a metal follower in it, at least I won't be smacking myself in the face.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No knock on what has been posted. Some good info in here......But. Yeah always a "But"

When 12G is available why step down. It is like buying a 1911 in 9mm. Sacrilege....:):

I can see this for a female but come on guys.....:):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    No knock on what has been posted. Some good info in here......But. Yeah always a "But"

When 12G is available why step down. It is like buying a 1911 in 9mm. Sacrilege....:):

I can see this for a female but come on guys.....:):

Since you asked . . . because even with attempting to use good technique (i.e. holding it in front of your face so you can sight down the top), most adult males won't be able to use this weapon effectively in 12ga. It's that simple. Most will have to shoot from the hip and that's going to require a butt-ton load of practice to do effectively or require the addition of a laser .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Since you asked . . . because even with attempting to use good technique (i.e. holding it in front of your face so you can sight down the top), most adult males won't be able to use this weapon effectively in 12ga. It's that simple. Most will have to shoot from the hip and that's going to require a butt-ton load of practice to do effectively or require the addition of a laser .

The proper way to use this piece is not to site it. Point shoot the dang thing. Not really all that hard to master. This weapon was not intended for any real range anyway.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The proper way to use this piece is not to site it. Point shoot the dang thing. Not really all that hard to master. This weapon was not intended for any real range anyway.

Totally agree. The Shockwave is the gun you stash next to the couch so you can grab if someone or something comes busting through the front door while you're watching TV and have no time to raise it up and get sights on target. Get it up to your belly, point it at the target center mass and get to work.

Top Bottom