Most people don't shoot 50bmg past 300yds anyway....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    As a 50bmg fan, I've heard time and time again how it's a excessive round in Indiana because people don't shoot that far with it here. Excuses being the hills or property or lack of ranges.

All that aside, for me and a few others it's partially right. Most rounds through my guns don't stretch them out to their real potential. I don't shoot competitive long range shooting. Most days I just like exercising my right to shoot. I decided to make my Barrett M82a1 just a "fun" range/varmint gun. I've been a Vortex fan for sometime and they were adamant that this setup will hold up great. A UH1 holosight with a 3x flip up magnifier :) ....

I can't help but laugh at myself a bit, but you know it actually seems practical in a way for me. I'm not trying to shoot the next mile shot, I'm perfectly content hitting a watermelon (or the occasional coyote) at 200 yds with a round meant to incapacitate vehicles.

Hopefully I'll take her out this weekend and see how these optics hold up, the lack of mounting has me questioning it.

20230105_182717.jpg 20230105_182654.jpg

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    As a 50bmg fan, I've heard time and time again how it's a excessive round in Indiana because people don't shoot that far with it here. Excuses being the hills or property or lack of ranges.

All that aside, for me and a few others it's partially right. Most rounds through my guns don't stretch them out to their real potential. I don't shoot competitive long range shooting. Most days I just like exercising my right to shoot. I decided to make my Barrett M82a1 just a "fun" range/varmint gun. I've been a Vortex fan for sometime and they were adamant that this setup will hold up great. A UH1 holosight with a 3x flip up magnifier :) ....

I can't help but laugh at myself a bit, but you know it actually seems practical in a way for me. I'm not trying to shoot the next mile shot, I'm perfectly content hitting a watermelon (or the occasional coyote) at 200 yds with a round meant to incapacitate vehicles.

Hopefully I'll take her out this weekend and see how these optics hold up, the lack of mounting has me questioning it.

View attachment 246333 View attachment 246334
    Funny how the bottom half of the state speaks for us all there are PLENTY of long range opportunities up here. And I think just for fun is a perfectly valid reason. Not that you need a reason at all.

great gun by the way maybe one day I will win the lottery

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Funny how the bottom half of the state speaks for us all there are PLENTY of long range opportunities up here. And I think just for fun is a perfectly valid reason. Not that you need a reason at all.

great gun by the way maybe one day I will win the lottery
    Apologies, I forget about the North 1/2 and hell I even lived a good chunk of my life up there. Probably better options up there now but back then most places still had big enamel signs saying "NO 50bmg". Those silly signs get me irritated.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Apologies, I forget about the North 1/2 and hell I even lived a good chunk of my life up there. Probably better options up there now but back then most places still had big enamel signs saying "NO 50bmg". Those silly signs get me irritated.
    I guess I don’t frequent many places with those signs

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Great squirrel rifle you have there.

I live just south and across the river from a military range here in southern Indiana. I hear 50BMG often, my LGS has it stocked on the shelf...

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    If people only brought 50 Bmg for super long ranges than the makers of 50's be out of business imo.
    I have a scope, but on top of that I have a Viper red dot on my 107a1 for up close watermelons.

Attachments

• 20201123_175122_01.jpg
      20201123_175122_01.jpg
      688.1 KB · Views: 20

MarmotMountain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2022
    Bellevue
    I think the most difficult part is finding a case where you don't have to constantly put on, and take off the scope in order for the Barrett to fit. What case do you guys use for transport? Or, is it mounted to the truck?

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I completely agree with the OP, in that you don't have to shoot 50BMG at far distances to have fun. I've shot mine at 50 yards, and shot it at 450 yards. As long as you have a very safe backstop, it's all good.
    Mine is just the humble Serbu single-shot, but it's been solid. The one thing that I was warned about, was to not skimp on the scope's mounting rings. For that reason, I've used Badger Max-50's ..... the rings are cut from a single block of steel, and matched/serial numbered to each other. In total, they weigh about a pound.

i-XWNQVLK-L.jpg

i-pNgXS9K-L.jpg

I'm interested to hear about Mr. Newman's range trip .... today would have been too cold for my old bones ! :oldwise:

Last edited:

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    As a 50bmg fan, I've heard time and time again how it's a excessive round in Indiana
    I've never shot or been present when a 50bmg was fired but I love the idea and history of the round. I've never seriously considered buying one because I don't have access to a 300+ yard range.

What I do have is 100 yard range on my property with a solid backstop. The range is on a flood plane and we shoot into the base of a 15' hillside. I've always assumed it would be a bad idea to launch the round at this range. What's your opinion?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've never shot or been present when a 50bmg was fired but I love the idea and history of the round. I've never seriously considered buying one because I don't have access to a 300+ yard range.

What I do have is 100 yard range on my property with a solid backstop. The range is on a flood plane and we shoot into the base of a 15' hillside. I've always assumed it would be a bad idea to launch the round at this range. What's your opinion?
    You'll be fine firing into a hillside. I've fired one into a hillside at 25 yards with no issues.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    While an interesting cartridge, over the years I've never really developed much interest. All the extras involved to reload and over all costs per shot just never seemed to add up. The rifles like the Barrett and various single shots look sharp, but I've never fired one. My only experiences were with an M2.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    I completely agree with the OP, in that you don't have to shoot 50BMG at far distances to have fun. I've shot mine at 50 yards, and shot it at 450 yards. As long as you have a very safe backstop, it's all good.
    Mine is just the humble Serbu single-shot, but it's been solid. The one thing that I was warned about, was to not skimp on the scope's mounting rings. For that reason, I've used Badger Max-50's ..... the rings are cut from a single block of steel, and matched/serial numbered to each other. In total, they weigh about a pound.

i-XWNQVLK-L.jpg

i-pNgXS9K-L.jpg

I'm interested to hear about Mr. Newman's range trip .... today would have been too cold for my old bones ! :oldwise:
    Love it! Hey it's still a 50 and you're out having fun. I unfortunately didn't make it out, teenage kids had a bunch of stuff needing done and ran out of daylight. Which is my problem through the week this time of year, I get home and don't really have enough time to get setup. Hopefully this upcoming weekend or if I get off an early day this week I can she how it goes. I 100% agree on rings, I've popped more than my fair share. Generally stick with barretts, or vortex tactical heavy. Which is why I have some apprehension on these mounts.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010

Like DoggyDaddy said. I'd be comfortable with that, maybe build up the backstop if you are able. Once it hits dirt it's not going far, my kids have easily dug some rounds out of the dirt when they've hit and they do not penetrate super deep.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    While an interesting cartridge, over the years I've never really developed much interest. All the extras involved to reload and over all costs per shot just never seemed to add up. The rifles like the Barrett and various single shots look sharp, but I've never fired one. My only experiences were with an M2.
    There is a decent cost of course, but as far as ammo goes I buy bulk ball ammo at $2.79 a round .....hell half my big bore guns cost that or more without all the fun. So far I've not even bothered with reloading anymore since I can keep it under $3 a round for now.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There is a decent cost of course, but as far as ammo goes I buy bulk ball ammo at $2.79 a round .....hell half my big bore guns cost that or more without all the fun. So far I've not even bothered with reloading anymore since I can keep it under $3 a round for now.

These days when I feel like shooting 50 caliber I use the Winchester 1876 and 50-95. Not similar, but at least the holes are the same size.;)

Top Bottom