Most people don't shoot 50bmg past 300yds anyway....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Love it! Hey it's still a 50 and you're out having fun. I unfortunately didn't make it out, teenage kids had a bunch of stuff needing done and ran out of daylight. Which is my problem through the week this time of year, I get home and don't really have enough time to get setup. Hopefully this upcoming weekend or if I get off an early day this week I can she how it goes. I 100% agree on rings, I've popped more than my fair share. Generally stick with barretts, or vortex tactical heavy. Which is why I have some apprehension on these mounts.

I understand .... it gets dark way too early !
    I'll look forward to your range report, when you're able to get out there.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I bought a 50cal for my 50th birthday present to me. It's the AR50 in my Avatar. I have a hard time finding a range near me that will let me shoot it. I have only found one range so far. It is only 200 yards. But that still puts a smile on my face.

I hope to try 500 yards some day. Time will tell. I some times think I should just sell it but then I get it out and look at it and think na, Not today. My son will likely end up with it and the many others I love.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    I bought a 50cal for my 50th birthday present to me. It's the AR50 in my Avatar. I have a hard time finding a range near me that will let me shoot it. I have only found one range so far. It is only 200 yards. But that still puts a smile on my face.

I hope to try 500 yards some day. Time will tell. I some times think I should just sell it but then I get it out and look at it and think na, Not today. My son will likely end up with it and the many others I love.
    I very much understand this.... I actually gave up on ranges allowing 50 bmg..... pull up to a new range just to see a sign or on the rule list prohibiting them. Funny enough a new INDOOR range the American Arms opened up in Judah allows 50 bmg... yeah, I bet nobody would want to be sharing the range with me though.

I have found other gun people that will occasionally let me shoot out to 800-1000yds on their property as long as they get to shoot it a time or 2. I've been in your same boat, over the years I've bought and sold my only 50 bmg at the time at least 3 times till recently now that I've accepted my "regular" distance is just going to be 200yds +/- .

Good luck to you, hope you get to shoot out to 500yds at some point but until then glad you're having fun with it anyway. 50 therapy at its best

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I very much understand this.... I actually gave up on ranges allowing 50 bmg..... pull up to a new range just to see a sign or on the rule list prohibiting them. Funny enough a new INDOOR range the American Arms opened up in Judah allows 50 bmg... yeah, I bet nobody would want to be sharing the range with me though.

I have found other gun people that will occasionally let me shoot out to 800-1000yds on their property as long as they get to shoot it a time or 2. I've been in your same boat, over the years I've bought and sold my only 50 bmg at the time at least 3 times till recently now that I've accepted my "regular" distance is just going to be 200yds +/- .

Good luck to you, hope you get to shoot out to 500yds at some point but until then glad you're having fun with it anyway. 50 therapy at its best
    Hard to beat 50BMG therapy. So good for the soul. no matter the range is. lol.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Having never fired one of the rifles, is it possible to shoot them offhand?
    Mine is a bit to large/heavy for me to shoulder. I am not gonna say there isn't a big guy or really strong guy that likely couldn't, but not me lol.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Having never fired one of the rifles, is it possible to shoot them offhand?
    I do occasionally, though mine weighs ~32lbs but not going to be accurate for very long. There is a video floating around the internet of a guy in military uniform mag dumping 2 m107s at the same time standing (can't remember if he's shoulder firing or hip firing them) ....

The recoil is typically not that bad with these, I equate it to a push of a 12g shotgun shot load. The concussion that you can feel on your bare skin and in your chest is the real difference.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I do occasionally, though mine weighs ~32lbs but not going to be accurate for very long. There is a video floating around the internet of a guy in military uniform mag dumping 2 m107s at the same time standing (can't remember if he's shoulder firing or hip firing them) ....

The recoil is typically not that bad with these, I equate it to a push of a 12g shotgun shot load. The concussion that you can feel on your bare skin and in your chest is the real difference.
    Like you, I have described the recoil as basically a 12 with maybejust a little more push. My 9 year old shot it just fine.

And yeah, the blast back is really the impressive part. I cleared off the bench next to me once with muzzle blast. I will only shoot it if I can get 3-4 benches clear around me to myself. I give everyone a heads up on what it is and ask if they have any and issues with it. No one has so far. It puts a smile on face of everyone that has shot it. I have let many shoot it.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Like you, I have described the recoil as basically a 12 with maybejust a little more push. My 9 year old shot it just fine.

And yeah, the blast back is really the impressive part. I cleared off the bench next to me once with muzzle blast. I will only shoot it if I can get 3-4 benches clear around me to myself. I give everyone a heads up on what it is and ask if they have any and issues with it. No one has so far. It puts a smile on face of everyone that has shot it. I have let many shoot it.
    Nice video! Love that joy! I shot mine off a freshly painted picnic table once, ripped the paint off in a V shape from the muzzle brake. You gotta be read mindful of anything even close to that muzzle.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Nice video! Love that joy! I shot mine off a freshly painted picnic table once, ripped the paint off in a V shape from the muzzle brake. You gotta be read mindful of anything even close to that muzzle.
    Oh yeah, my son was about 25 back with that shot. you can see it was exciting for him. lol.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE

I can hook you up with a 100 yard range if you're up for a drive to Fort Wayne.

I've never understood why everyone wants to focus on the distance of the round. I realize shooting paper doesn't take a lot of energy, but KNOWING it is there and FEELING that energy is awesome to me.

11,000+ ft-lb of muzzle energy. :woot:Suck it 45-70! (j/k for all you 45-70 fans).

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    As a 50bmg fan, I've heard time and time again how it's a excessive round in Indiana because people don't shoot that far with it here. Excuses being the hills or property or lack of ranges.

All that aside, for me and a few others it's partially right. Most rounds through my guns don't stretch them out to their real potential. I don't shoot competitive long range shooting. Most days I just like exercising my right to shoot. I decided to make my Barrett M82a1 just a "fun" range/varmint gun. I've been a Vortex fan for sometime and they were adamant that this setup will hold up great. A UH1 holosight with a 3x flip up magnifier :) ....

I can't help but laugh at myself a bit, but you know it actually seems practical in a way for me. I'm not trying to shoot the next mile shot, I'm perfectly content hitting a watermelon (or the occasional coyote) at 200 yds with a round meant to incapacitate vehicles.

Hopefully I'll take her out this weekend and see how these optics hold up, the lack of mounting has me questioning it.

View attachment 246333 View attachment 246334
    Awesome logic! Question: is the magnifier on a quick side flip mount? You'll wish you had first time you clear rooms with that setup.

Lol, sorry, I couldn't resist.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    +1 on the muzzle blast being crazy with those huge muzzle brakes. You certainly don't want anyone sitting next to you, or they will be unhappy. I've been to several ranges that allowed them, both in Illinois and Indiana. You just have to check around...

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I can hook you up with a 100 yard range if you're up for a drive to Fort Wayne.

I've never understood why everyone wants to focus on the distance of the round. I realize shooting paper doesn't take a lot of energy, but KNOWING it is there and FEELING that energy is awesome to me.

11,000+ ft-lb of muzzle energy. :woot:Suck it 45-70! (j/k for all you 45-70 fans).
    1000 yard? That would be an awesome trip this spring or fall. I would love to make that happen at least once in my life.

Thanks for the offer, and I will gladly bring my 45-70 lol. That would even be cool with my AllenM built 700 300wm. I can load the Yukon up with a few things. I have not had anything past 200 yards so far.

Thanks!

Top Bottom