• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, that's funny. I thought it stood for Quit F'ing Teasing!

Man, I am getting old!

Originally I took it as Quit F-n Talking! as an affirmation that it is so correct you need to just stop right there because what you said is perfect and nothing else needs to be said. But either that or the official truth comment works as its the same result.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This is without a doubt one of the most accurate shootouts I have ever seen...Up to and including the shooting the Mauser from the hip BECAUSE you were a coal miner who had never fired a gun much before....It's quick, it's brutal, John Sayles based it on actual first hand testimony including that some of the miners involved were unfamiliar with firearms....I was a little bummed that they had Sid "Two Gun" Hatfield with a pair of Colt's instead of his S&W Triplelock .44's but his holster style and carrying method was accurate....John Sayles is a commie and the film doesn't hide the fact that Red's had something to do with the Coal Mine Wars.....This scene is awesome in it's brutality and it's accuracy IMHO...

As a side note if you have ever rafted down the New River the sandy beach where the kid aims his Spanish Mauser at the man is where you put your raft's in for the all day float trip...When I went it was just a couple of years after the movie and most of the set was still there....

[video=youtube;PvVWWFRW0mw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvVWWFRW0mw[/video]

[video=youtube;rqJ4v5Rfah0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqJ4v5Rfah0[/video]

Now this is a neat picture here...If you look closely you can see Kirk grimacing in the background as he is telling Sid to quit "coonfingering" for the camera...:)

2b6e105fb7162f8f87045323ab15d015.jpg

smilinhatfield.jpg

smiling-sid-hatfields-wife-jessie-lee-maynard-testerman-hatfield-pettry-lima-news-oh-5-mar-1922.jpg

Sid later married the widow of the Mayor and he was gunned down in front of the courthouse as the assassins knew he would not be armed as the courthouse was a "gun free zone"......She became famous in her own right as the "Woman Widowed Twice" by the Coal Companies...

Second is The Wild Bunch....I am assuming anyone male is familiar with the film and the famous "walk"....

[video=youtube;mx15l4L4Zlk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx15l4L4Zlk&t=1s[/video]

The walk....

[video=youtube;_ysVoV3x5Zo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ysVoV3x5Zo[/video]

The shootout.....

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Because Freeman's Law dictates that every INGO thread devolve into a faculty lounge discussion, the miners in PA and WV were drawn toward communist groups and unions out of necessity. My grandfather's family is from those parts and going into the mines back then was a death sentence, not to mention living in company towns, buying from company stores and living a subsistence life while the owners got rich.

The private security groups hired by the companies and deputized by the establishment were willing to fight, so the miners didn't have much choice, either. They were willing to die because they were barely living. Now, the Molly Maguires weren't exactly saints, either, but it was a different time.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Because Freeman's Law dictates that every INGO thread devolve into a faculty lounge discussion, the miners in PA and WV were drawn toward communist groups and unions out of necessity. My grandfather's family is from those parts and going into the mines back then was a death sentence, not to mention living in company towns, buying from company stores and living a subsistence life while the owners got rich.

The private security groups hired by the companies and deputized by the establishment were willing to fight, so the miners didn't have much choice, either. They were willing to die because they were barely living. Now, the Molly Maguires weren't exactly saints, either, but it was a different time.

True....

My people are from the Western Kentucky coal fields and as dad told me in the 1980's when I said "You know that Union you belong to is communist don't you?" Dad would respond, "Well that commie union is what fed and clothed you the past 18 years...You fancy yourself a history man....Why don't you look up to see what life was like for a Kentucky Rail Road man or Coal Miner back before the unions and then we'll talk........"

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I have relatives from my wife's side that grew up in So. PA and West Virginia. One "uncle" used to call one of his nieces "Molly Maguire". Her name was Molly so I assumed he just picked Maguire. What's the story behind Molly Maguire?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have relatives from my wife's side that grew up in So. PA and West Virginia. One "uncle" used to call one of his nieces "Molly Maguire". Her name was Molly so I assumed he just picked Maguire. What's the story behind Molly Maguire?
    Wiki does a good job on this one.

:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_Maguires

One of my forebears was caught up in certain criminal activity associated with them. The other 2 guys were convicted, but mine was acquitted at trial.

Probably had a better lawyer. ;)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Probably had a better lawyer. ;)

It seems they were way ahead of Caitlen Jenner...:)

There are similarities — particularly in face-blackening and in the donning of women's garments — with the practice of mummery, in which festive days were celebrated by mummers who traveled from door to door demanding food, money, or drink as payment for performing. The Threshers, the Peep o' Day Boys, the Lady Rocks (deriving from Captain Rock and the Rockite movement), and the Lady Clares also sometimes disguised themselves as women.[SUP][6][/SUP] Similar imagery was used during the Rebecca Riots in Wales.[SUP][7][/SUP]

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'd have to watch the whole movie over again to judge how technically accurate it was regarding gun handling, but I love the final gunfight in "48 Hours."
    Hell, it's worth it to watch the whole movie over just because it kicks so much ass.
    Nolte and Murphy were pitch perfect in that one.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Maybe not a gunfight per se, but the beach landing scene in Saving Private Ryan. If you watch that and watch the actual footage, you will see that the producers/directors spent a lot of time studying that footage.

It is said by some that Keanu Reaves is currently the best trained Hollywood actor when it comes to firearms handling. Supposedly he really put his all into the training for John Wick 2.
    But, he cheated. downloaded them from the Matrix.

Top Bottom