• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Spent half the day calling about inspections and financing and etc.
    My ATT is only at 25 instead of the 45 level where I'm moving: irritating.

Does anyone know if it's necessary to have a termite inspection from a housing division 17 yrs. old built on a farm field where the chemicals for crops probably killed off all bugs, ha!?

And, Radon Testing. I was told if you don't have a basement you can't get a good reading anyway and it a waste of time (on a slab).

I did some garage back door trim work that I should have done 25 yrs. ago when I bought the house, and I repaired the 24" x 4" hole in drywall where I did repairs for a bad switch (1st coat, at least), using the "wire" or "screen" patches: very quick and easy!
    I found another very large hole, or rather caved in part in the garage wall where I had punched a whole in yrs. ago down low with the tractor and it was covered up by tires.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We are taking pics tomorrow and might be listing the house this week even though the work isn't done nor the house "purged" of decades of extra files, furniture and whatever.
    It will not be your HGTV presentation. :laugh:
    But, we want to see if we can get lucky and sell before the snows.

Got to come up with a price.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    You are asking for problems of you don't get the termite inspection on your purchase imo. I know of a couple who was hard up for money because they bought at the tippy top of their budget. Thought they were saving money skipping inspections. Long story short, they lost many many thousands once the damage was found years later. The seller would have had to fix it if they did an inspection. I'd spend the extra few bucks on it.....cheap insurance imo.

Radon on a slab is rare. If the house has been closed up for months and months it's possible, but almost as rare as unicorn farts.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You are asking for problems of you don't get the termite inspection on your purchase imo. I know of a couple who was hard up for money because they bought at the tippy top of their budget. Thought they were saving money skipping inspections. Long story short, they lost many many thousands once the damage was found years later. The seller would have had to fix it if they did an inspection. I'd spend the extra few bucks on it.....cheap insurance imo.

Radon on a slab is rare. If the house has been closed up for months and months it's possible, but almost as rare as unicorn farts.

1. Point made. I thought it was illogical with the surrounding area that termites could be around, but for $50, who cares?
    2. In my present house there was carpenter ants or termites in an old tree I cut down and I was concerned about them going to my outbuilding or house.
    3. I bought a "kit" at Lowes for preventative maintenance.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Spent evening going over comps in my neighborhood, trying to figure out how to price our house, and after a couple of hours I came to the same conclusion that I thought before I saw the comps:
    ask mid $150s and sell for mid $140s.
    If I do better I'll take it, of course. :laugh:
    There is so much right about our house with the upgrades and new or newish everything except kitchen, and lack of open concept.
    We moved here just to get the school district, perhaps we can sell to a nice couple with kids b/c of the location of Elementary and H.S.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    As to the buyer's market:

In talking with NUMEROUS people (but no Realtors) and with seeing what's been going on in my own 'hood... Houses are selling in as little as a few hours of hitting the market - through up to a week or so on the market. That's IF they're under about a $275k price point. Above that and they'll be on the market considerably longer.

If you want to sell your house, especially on the greater "south side" - now is the time. If you want to BUY a house... Now is also the time due to low-ish interest rates. But there's a small inventory and you may have a bidding "war" on your hands. Seriously - even crappy houses in HUGE vinyl neighborhoods are getting full-price offers the same day they're listed.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Wife and I have been looking for a larger house as well. Kind of growing out of our current smaller house.
    It’s amazing how fast houses are selling. It’s also crazy how expensive houses are. Dunno how people are affording a $1000 mortgage payment.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    As to the buyer's market:

If you want to sell your house, especially on the greater "south side" - now is the time. If you want to BUY a house... Now is also the time due to low-ish interest rates. But there's a small inventory and you may have a bidding "war" on your hands. Seriously - even crappy houses in HUGE vinyl neighborhoods are getting full-price offers the same day they're listed.

Wife and I have been looking for a larger house as well. Kind
    In talking with NUMEROUS people (but no Realtors) and with seeing what's been going on in my own 'hood... Houses are selling in as little as a few hours of hitting the market - through up to a week or so on the market. That's IF they're under about a $275k price point. Above that and they'll be on the market considerably longer.

1. We have found that to be the case in looking on the SW side of Indy (outside of 465), off Franklin between Southport and Troy.
    2. We got into a bidding war on a $150k house that sold for
    $158k.1st bid of mine: $152, and 2nd bid: $155.
    3. There were small houses (1350 - 1400ish sq. ft.) asking $155k: unbelievable.
    4. We found the perfect house for us: $169k with a 4 seasons room and a den, but I didn't want to put off retirement for years.
    5. We would go to open houses that already had 2 bids, or by the time we got home from looking at a house, it was already sold.

It’s amazing how fast houses are selling. It’s also crazy how expensive houses are. Dunno how people are affording a $1000 mortgage payment.

6. Yes. One of the secrets to my managing money has been to be careful on the 2 major expenses: cars and houses.
    7. I always underbought. Itwoulddrivethesales people nuts: "But sir, you qualify for $xxx."
    8. I have chosen one car over another b/c of gas mileage, and one house over another b/c of property tax: yes, I'm that cheap (I
    meanthrify) and proud of it. Fortunately, my wife is on board, so we have never had money issues, even when I make under $10k/yr. teaching (we had a house payment of $152.78, and yes I still remember), and drove cars with rust holes. :laugh:
    9. Now if feel like I'm rich b/c at top of pay scale
    with house paid off. My two cars are 13 yrs. old (new paint job last summer) and 14 yrs. old (Honda S2000 convertible that looks like an $80K car :rockwoot:.
    10. I drive them till they are done, and keep them nice till them, my problem is that I don't know when to let go. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1st day of showing house and I've got sooo much to still do, but at least I've got the garage completely rewired right for the inspector!
    Found a threshold from the door going out the 4 seasons room that was bad (the door hasn't been used for 25 yrs.
    My wife was up till 3 am with a toothbrush cleaning small crevices on the cabinets in kitchen!!!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Your house shows very well from the pictures.
    Pride of ownership is apparent, which helps a house sell faster. Good luck!

1. Thanks!
    2. Today I painted the chimney black to match the roof (should have done that 5 yrs. ago, repaired a bad threshold (that I didn't know about b/c in 25 yrs. I've never used that door, freshened up my white brick with a quick coat of paint, and did some other touch up paint inside.
    3. It's unreal how many little things aren't perfect that you never see until you want to sell your house and you look with a critical eye.
    4. I did more work today than I would normally do in months. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ha, you're on my long jogging route. If I'm going over 3 miles I go right past you down to Fairwood.

1. I used to go to the Fort back when they had some good trails to jog.
    2. My wife and I used to walk up to 82nd St. through Eagles Nest: 30 minutes there and 30 back.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We had our first showing last evening (it was listed late yesterday).
    I'm hoping the phone rings for many showings today, keeping me from having to do much work :dunno:.
    Actually, there is some dark blue touch up that's really bugging me that I want to tend to, just like there was a couple of little spots in black in the kitchen beside the dishwasher and white on a door.
    I try to address things that the eye would catch and eliminate it, like replacing the floor vents to be perfect, which you never notice living in a house as the decades go by. :laugh:
    I should get my inspection report on the new house soon, but I'm not expecting much.
    There is a broken doorbell (odd that they didn't address that) and some trim on the bottom of a post that should be replaced, also odd that it wasn't addressed b/c of right at the front door.
    I painted all thresholds in the house just for that first impression effect.
    My experience in building houses back in another lifetime, and remodeling in another :laugh: , and my own critical eye brings havok to my life as I see little imperfections.
    My poor wife was up to 3:45 am using a toothbrush cleaning the creases in kitchen cabinet trim (that she hates anyway) and mopping the floors.
    Can't wait for the offers to see what the market bears.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Realtor said we have an offer coming after last night's showing. :rockwoot:
    We have another showing tonight.
    Too bad we don't have an Open House Sunday, but the realtor is out with family b/c of Fall Break with his kids.
    Love to get 3 bids at the same time.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Done working for the day.
    Replaced screws on hinge on outbuilding with longer screws to come into contact with good wood.
    Sanded drywall work in garage and painted over those sections in garage (I now have a 2-tone garage, but better than holes and/or drywall repair work showing.
    Touched up inside using 4 different colors: surprising how a little touch up works wonders on the eyes, freshening up the overall look.
    My wife has spent her day cleaning window and window sills.

Like last evening, I will take her out for supper while our house is being shown: after all, this was my Fall Break vacation: the worst vacation ever, but the most exciting.
    I did get a chance to buy a Henry lever action .22 and go to the range once: ONLY ONCE while on vacation. :wallbash:

We can't wait to see what the offer is. Asking $155, so somewhere between $140k - $147k likely.
    We hope they will start at $145k and we come back with $150k: done deal.
    If they start at $150k, we'll just take it and be done, no counters to get another dollar.

It will all be about the inspection anyway, with a 60 yr. old house the inspector can find a ton of things wrong even though every major system has been addressed and replaced from all new everything outside (including 6" gutters with screens I was so proud of).
    The chinmey could be an issue: never know.
    I haven't even used the gas fireplace for 6ish yrs. and the thermocoupling probably doens't even work. I need to find out and replace it so the inspector doesn't linger there.
    Wiring in garage completely redone since it wasn't up to code with previous owner doing his own work.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got the inspection done on the house we're buying, so it will be interesting.
    I am paying over retail for the house (according to the specs in the neighborhood) so I expect everything to be perfect, at least as nice as my old house.
    Going to be a battle with siding issues (I didn't notice), an issue with the furnace, and a host of other things.
    Some things I can do as long as the seller comes down in price, but some things need to be checked out professionally to be sure there aren't bigger problems (leak of water when furnace was turned on and it shut down???) I don't even know how that is possible.
    14 yr. old house with original water heater (past useful life), and HVAC (AC past useful life, and furnace has a little bit to go).
    I'll hope the water heater goes out the first year it is under warranty :dunno:, but the furnace I was hoping to get 3-5 yrs. out of before replacing.
    My home 7 yrs. ago had a top-of-the-line Carrier heat pump and gas heater installed ($9600, with rebates: $6500). My gas bill went down from $142/mo. to $50/mo. and electric down $20.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Wait for it: Full price offer on the house.

We accepted. :laugh:

We will pay for the inspection and help with their closing costs: $2500.

I suppose we'll get hit with $2-3K in repairs after the inspection b/c they have to find something and that shouldn't be too hard in a 60 yr. old house, but all major things should be fine.
    Wiring could perhaps be attacked, but we have a new box.
    I think the fireplace/chimney might have to be refurbished (we don't use it anymore) but that is all I can think of.

I am so freakin happy about a full price offer!
    Someone saw it tonight, and I'm open to a bidding war. :laugh:

Top Bottom