• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just signed the papers.
    Realtor will pick them up at my house while I'm teaching a Bible class at Indian Creek Christian Church (The Creek).
    I can't wait to go back to work Monday to get some rest. :laugh:
    I don't intend to do anything after church at all Sunday, not even go to the range: too tired.
    This week has about done me in. :coffee:

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Now that was fast. Congratulations on the sale good luck on your move hope we are not knee deep in snow. Now you can get back to what’s important shooting after your rest

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Now that was fast. Congratulations on the sale good luck on your move hope we are not knee deep in snow. Now you can get back to what’s important shooting after your rest

1. Spoken like a true sportsman! :laugh:

2. It will be so hard with every day after work having to do something about packing, downsizing, selling furniture, doing Goodwill runs: be careful what you wish for. :dunno:
    3. We have made 3 trips already to Goodwill and 1 to Half-Priced Bookstore.
    4. We have only 1 week to get out of our house before the new buyers move into ours! (Nov. 10 -Nove.17) We were hoping for a more leisurely pace, but the sale at full price is its own reward.
    5. Selling now instead of the Spring will save us $4000 in making payments and paying utilties, so I am quite pleased.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. Went to work Monday, numb and tired, fortunately it was a Professional Development Day for Teachers, so no students.
    2. Today, Tuesday, I have students, but I'm still numb. They are complaining that they are unable to function due to being tired, etc: if they only knew how dead tired I was!
    3. The inspection report on my new house has been dealt with, and I have turned in what I want them to fix: we'll see. Out of about 15 things, I only had 6 items.
    4. Next the appraisal on it, which will be fun, since it was "overpriced" in my opinion.
    5. Next on my list is getting some financial documentation, and buying 50 boxes (I was told it would take 100). Last time I moved at school it took me over 40 boxes and that is after I trimmed down from 3 other moves. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think I'll be able to hang onto my guns and not have to sell any since I bought lower than I thought, and sold for more than I thought: win: win!

I bought 100 boxes at Lowes, a tape gun, some plastic wrap stuff for the wife: ready to start packing.

My house gets inspection Monday; I'm scared to death of how many picky little things, or any big items like the chimney (haven't started it up in 7 yrs., better do that before inspector tries it).
    The plumbing leaked under the kitchen sink years ago, and it was fixed but I didn't replace the countertop since it was not seen underneath and didn't bother me, might bother the inspector though. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sold my beloved John Deere D130 tractor mower today to a neighbor, who like me has arthritis and needed it b/c his old Deere died.
    He is 74 yrs. old and I could only hope to look as good as him in 10 yrs.

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    Read through the whole thread. Congrats on getting a full price offer. I've sold twice in my life and hated going through the process both times.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Read through the whole thread. Congrats on getting a full price offer. I've sold twice in my life and hated going through the process both times.

1. Thanks! The real comes with the inspection Monday with a 55 yr. old house.
    2. I was talking with a man in line at Lowes today and it took him a year to sell a $500,000 home; that's the advantage of having an under-$200k home. :laugh:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Jogged past your house a few hours ago. The guy across the street needs that mower. :):

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    1. Thanks! The real comes with the inspection Monday with a 55 yr. old house.
    2. I was talking with a man in line at Lowes today and it took him a year to sell a $500,000 home; that's the advantage of having an under-$200k home. :laugh:

We sold our first home near Cumberland two years ago. We saved and had a home built up near Fishers. We were able to move into the new home. With the help of my dad, and to a lesser extent mom, we painted and cleaned the entire 1960 era all stone home. We had the bathrooms totally gutted and redone the few years prior so they were OK. My wife and I repainted old kitchen cabinets. The home looked so nice being painted. We listed it Friday and had a showing Saturday. Monday my realtor called with an offer only $900 less. The inspection though sucked and I knew it would. There was mold in the attic (due to issues with gutters backing up with ice pushing water into the attack) and crawl. We knew this, but of course we had it treated but didn't solve the issue. We ended up having to part with $9,500 for remediation issues. The home likely still needed a new roof within ten or so years, and could've used new gutters and a few other minor things. Overall I'm thankful they still took the home. They could've just walked away.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We sold our first home near Cumberland two years ago. We saved and had a home built up near Fishers. We were able to move into the new home. With the help of my dad, and to a lesser extent mom, we painted and cleaned the entire 1960 era all stone home. We had the bathrooms totally gutted and redone the few years prior so they were OK. My wife and I repainted old kitchen cabinets. The home looked so nice being painted. We listed it Friday and had a showing Saturday. Monday my realtor called with an offer only $900 less. The inspection though sucked and I knew it would. There was mold in the attic (due to issues with gutters backing up with ice pushing water into the attack) and crawl. We knew this, but of course we had it treated but didn't solve the issue. We ended up having to part with $9,500 for remediation issues. The home likely still needed a new roof within ten or so years, and could've used new gutters and a few other minor things. Overall I'm thankful they still took the home. They could've just walked away.

1. Appreciate you sharing your pain. I look forward with "bated" breath about my own Mnday inspection.
    2. We have done everything you have said, but we haven't used the fireplace in years, and I lit the pilot light and turned it on (gas) and it worked!
    3. I'm sure he'll find old leak issues under the sink, and where we had a new 200 amp box put in years ago, he'll probably find an issue.
    4. Believe it or not our sink stopped working b/c of grease backed up so we called plumber, and it didn't clear real well (grease can be a nightmare), but I put through 5 treatments of stuff from Lowes and got it flowing better than it has in years, we escaped the bullet there. :rockwoot: Plumber must have b een in a hurry, not do his job (he didn't get paid since he didn't get it flowing much). I can't believe all it needed was some "treatments" or degreaser. We never had an issue or we would have been treating it through the years!
    5. Lesson learned in an old house. Out new one is only 14 yrs. old but I'll do that first thing to make sure I get rid of any build-up.
    6. Saturday we worked in the garage and got rid of 1 big file, 2 small files and a small cabinet (all metal). We put them outside by the road, people usually come along and pick up stuff.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    On the house we are buying the seller has done everything we asked (4 things out of 15).
    Done:
    HVAC addressed (found cause of leak)
    Window being replaced b/c lost its seal.
    Electric wire being replaced b/c too small in a circuit.
    Cracked truss in attic being reinforced.

Everything else was little things like the trim around the front porch post rotting and needs replaced: easy fix.
    Loose tub faucet.
    Stairway into attic not fire rated????? It's made of wood. What does the code ask for now? I had to laugh over that one.
    Edge of door swelling. Make sure it's dry, chaulk it and put paint on it: wait 20 yrs. and see what happens, ha!

etc etc.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Closing supposed to be next Wed. or Thurs.
    Rented a van from Uhaul for that coming weekend to take tools and garage stuff I don't want the movers to mess with.
    Depending on whether I want to make 2 trips or 5 will determine how much stuff I will mess with moving myself.
    Movers coming Nov.11 to get everything else.

Still don't know what the verdict is on our old house with the inspection.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You are very busy. This has been a fast buy and sell for you. To bad it did not happen when you were off for the summer.

1. You feel my pain/excitement and frustration. :wallbash:
    2. Just got the inspection report back and I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
    3. I can't believe the realtor even let the person put some things in the report to be fixed. I had an extension cord in the attic for a portable light running to a electrician installed plug in the attic (which the attic fan connects to), and they wanted it removed with "proper wiring installed." It is an extension cord: I'm taking it and the light with me; there is no "proper" wiring. Same in the garage. I had an extension cord running over my trusses to an outlet to run power saws or whatever: I'm taking it with me; there is no "proper" wiring. I just had all the wiring replaced by an electrician in the garage. Good Grief! These people are IDIOTS!!!!
    4. Ok, rant is done. I don't mind replacing the heating wall unit in the sunroom that hasn't worked in 25 yrs.: I would do the same. I just never used the room and didn't care.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I estimate it will cost between $3500 - $5000 to do all the updates they want to my old house.
    The wall furnace being the X factor, depending on how much extra labor involved.
    There goes my "profit" for appliances.
    But, as I told my wife, we would have taken $5000 less for the house anyway, so I just need to man-up.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Getting Lowes to come in and replace a door: $450 (going to put in whole door jam instead of just door).
    Getting a window place to come in (Glass Guru, I think) to replace a window with a broken seal: $245
    Getting an electrician I used to rewire the garage to come in and do some electrical work and put in an electric heater in the Sunroom and run a wire for it to the box (price not determined yet).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Closing on new house tomorrow @ 10 am.
    I'll leave work at 9:30 and be back at 12: fun. :dunno:
    Tomorrow a guy is going to do some drywall in the garage and put in some GFI outlets.
    An appraiser is coming tomorrow, also. House is a mess with boxes and the like: not the best presentation.
    Saturday going to use a Uhaul Van to move things to get a head start on the 11nth big mover's day (Sat.) I'll move Utility bldg. and garage stuff, and maybe get around to some boxes to save some of the $3/box charge. :laugh:
    Actually, I just want to take enough stuff so that 1 truck will do it which will keep the charge down to $800 which includes 70 boxes, instead of $1200 if we have much over that putting us into a different price bracket b/c of needing another Van or Truck.
    Friday, the 10th will be the last night sleeping at our house.
    We close on our old house the following Thurs. or Friday.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Hope it all goes well. Sounds like so far so good. Keep us posted. I did enjoy reading about the electrical updates. I have the same type of shop light in my garage. People are nuts. How old are the people buying your home. Maybe they don't know any better.

Top Bottom