Mr. Groundhog meets Mr. .243 win - WARNING GRAPHIC!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Back in the day (1973, I was 8 at the time) we were living in a farm house that had been vacant for a year and a half or so. Look out the kitchen window across the driveway there was a pond. On the far bank of the pond (woods behind the pond) was a pretty steep hill with ground hog holes, the ground hogs were practically tame. Mom grew up around guns but has bad eyesight, she can't see the sight alignment on a long gun. A scope eliminates that problem. The smallest scoped rifle Dad had was a 6mm Remington (.244, Remington's .243), with a 3X9 Leopold Duplex scope (sweeeeeeeet!!) The whistle pigs were maybe 75 yards away. Mom would spot them, slide the kitchen window open, rest the 6mm on the window sill and wreak havoc on the ground hogs.

The first Datsun (what is now known as Nissan) 240Z I ever saw was chocolate brown and slowly pulling into the driveway. It was almost a car-length in the driveway (gravel) and coming to a stop. I was about to say there was a car in the driveway when Mom dropped the hammer on a whistle pig.

That was 45 years ago, and I can still see the cloud of gravel dust from the 240Z getting the hell out of Dodge. Never saw that car before or again, can't imagine why :laugh:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    By offering to kill yotes and groundhogs I got more permission to hunt deer and turkey on more places than I would have ever believed.
    I use a Winchester .243 on them as well. I killed one a couple years ago right before dark. It wasn't 5 minutes a yote walked into the crosshairs. They both looked a lot like your photos.
    Well done and great choice of caliber. (personal favorite)
    Sounds like you moved into the right place.

The owner of the farm is of course a farmer, knows all the other farmers in the area. Says he can set me up with private land for deer and coyote. So hopefully your tactic holds true up here.

And yes, the .243 is a great round.

Ever seen the movie Gran Torino? After he chases the neighborhood thugs off his lawn, the neighbors start showering him with gifts of fine food.

The owner, his wife, and mother-in-law are all acting like I just shot a serial killer. This is what my wife and I had for dinner tonight, courtesy of the owners:

20180630_185500_zpslvdyiqrq.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've never schwacked a woodchuck with anything that makes a spectacular mess. M193 at a measured 50 yards kills the crap out of them, but it's not showy. A .22 to the noggin is downright peaceful.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think a lighter bullet is what I’d choose for that application. But obviously it worked.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I think a lighter bullet is what I’d choose for that application. But obviously it worked.

I hear what you're saying. If I were planning to use it specifically for groundhog I would sight it in with a lighter bullet too. But I sighted it in with this ammo for coyote. Brought it up to Minnesota for coyote. Never anticipated the owner's groundhog problem. But I have the rifle here and it does the job. Groundhog had no complaints either. :cool:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    70gr Nosler BT on max charge of 4350 is my fave .243 win chuck load

Have not fine tuned for current Rem 700.

Not enough chucks, so made my ADL a yote rig.
    Likes WW 80 gr factory stuff.

Shot a deer w 100gr WW PSP in #1 RSI. Not impressed.
    Try 95gr Deer Season XP this yr.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    The owner of the farm is of course a farmer, knows all the other farmers in the area. Says he can set me up with private land for deer and coyote. So hopefully your tactic holds true up here.

And yes, the .243 is a great round.

Ever seen the movie Gran Torino? After he chases the neighborhood thugs off his lawn, the neighbors start showering him with gifts of fine food.

The owner, his wife, and mother-in-law are all acting like I just shot a serial killer. This is what my wife and I had for dinner tonight, courtesy of the owners:

20180630_185500_zpslvdyiqrq.jpg

Not sure whether to be hungry or sick to my stomach looking at all that rabbit food. You're eating my foods food and I don't appreciate it!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Papa chuck got it today. Probably as large as 4 of the first one combined. He was standing up, I got him through the back.

IMG951573_zpsvsyuo4vi.jpg

IMG951575_zpsm376hpy8.jpg

IMG951574_zps6zryy82v.jpg

20180708_154736_zpssfjjazyf.jpg

20180708_154807_zps1kzro2on.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom