Mr. Groundhog meets Mr. .243 win - WARNING GRAPHIC!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    A lot of people forget the venerable .243 Winchester. Yes it was developed what seems like ages ago; however, it is one of the most versatile rounds out there. You can reload it down with light bullets for varmints or heavier bullets for deer. I have a model 70 in .243 Win and out to 200-300 yards I can still score bullseyes with my reloads. Poor little ground hog did not stand a chance. Peace. Out.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    A lot of people forget the venerable .243 Winchester. Yes it was developed what seems like ages ago; however, it is one of the most versatile rounds out there. You can reload it down with light bullets for varmints or heavier bullets for deer. I have a model 70 in .243 Win and out to 200-300 yards I can still score bullseyes with my reloads. Poor little ground hog did not stand a chance. Peace. Out.

Very true. When you consider the huge following the .308 has, and consider the .243 is just a necked down version of it's parent cartridge .308, the outstanding performance of the .243 makes a lot of sense.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've heard that groundhogs are good eatin'. Is that true?

A couple of contributors in this thread have said they are good. As for me, they are welcome to every chuck I kill. I will try just about anything, but whistle pigs and opossums are never going to be on my dinner plate. Not ever

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Have had woodchuck chili before and I would eat that again.
    Good stuff.
    All I can say is this thread delivers in so many ways.
    I blew a chuck in half once.
    Shooting my Remington 700 in .223 Rem with a Burris 6-18x scope, hand loaded 50grain Berger bullets.
    Was walking up to my shooting spot on a hill, and he popped up about 30 ft in front of me.
    I pulled up on him and aimed at his feet.
    The head, arms and part of the torso went flying in the air and the hind legs and tail fell back into the hole.
    I about dropped my rifle in disbelief.
    I must have caught him just right in the midsection.

Top Bottom