• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Bump to the top. Come on guys, this is for the group. All of those people who said we never do anything here is your chance to vote and then participate in a training activity.

What equipment do we need to bring Philo?

As far as the stick/cane demo if you wish to actively participate, a broom handle would work. ABSOLUTLY NO HARD CONTACT should happen.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Bump to the top. Come on guys, this is for the group. All of those people who said we never do anything here is your chance to vote and then participate in a training activity.

What equipment do we need to bring Philo?

As far as the stick/cane demo if you wish to actively participate, a broom handle would work. ABSOLUTLY NO HARD CONTACT should happen.

If you have a personal compass bring it. If you don't, I have a few to share. Also bring paper, pencil, and a calculator ( most smart phones have one built in). Don't worry, no higher math - just some simple multiplication and division like how long is my pace length if 10 paces takes me 53'4".

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...ABSOLUTLY NO HARD CONTACT should happen.
    Dammit!

If you have a personal compass bring it. If you don't, I have a few to share. Also bring paper, pencil, and a calculator ( most smart phones have one built in). Don't worry, no higher math - just some simple multiplication and division like how long is my pace length if 10 paces takes me 53'4".

This sounds very interesting.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    I'd be interested provided the dates work for me. Tried the poll but it wants me to reconfigure. Not going to happen. Post the dates for us to see and let's make it happen.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Glad to see some more interest in this! I spoke with a couple local guys today at the WVPPS match today that expressed interest also.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anybody that's interested, we will be having a training in map reading, basic compass navigation and orienteering. The plan is to hold it at Karst Farm Park just west of Bloomington. Time and date to be determined by the following Doodle poll. Doodle: Orienteering Basics

I don't usually use these things, so if the poll doesn't work please let me know.

If things work out we'll also try to have a stick/cane/club based defense demo at the same time and date.

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    So far only 4 people have shown enough interest to post in the poll and commit to a day and time to do this.
    Wed the 23rd 6-8PM, Mon the 28th 6-8PM, Wed the 30th 6-8PM, & May 5th 6-8PM are the dates that all 4 have agreed on.

Any input from the peanut gallery that can't/won't figure out/trust the poll?

It looks like the weather on the 23rd will cooperate for outside activities.

If no one else has to have one of the later days I say we go for it on the 23rd.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    So far only 4 people have shown enough interest to post in the poll and commit to a day and time to do this.
    Wed the 23rd 6-8PM, Mon the 28th 6-8PM, Wed the 30th 6-8PM, & May 5th 6-8PM are the dates that all 4 have agreed on.

Any input from the peanut gallery that can't/won't figure out/trust the poll?

It looks like the weather on the 23rd will cooperate for outside activities.

If no one else has to have one of the later days I say we go for it on the 23rd.

Thanks for summarizing this.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Which one of these models is best for what we'll be doing?

20140422_135713_zpsdwm8corz.jpg

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Why don't you wait til after tomorrow to get something. I have all of those for you to try. See which one you are most comfortable with. I only suggested bringing your own so that people could work with what they are used to. Use this as an opportunity to "test drive".

Silva is a good name brand, so I suspect all of those are decent quality. Where is that?

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I'm telling you guys, it's a trap. Don't let PhilO take you deep into the woods. He'll get ya lost, tell ya he knows where he is going and makes ya pack all this stuff around the woods. All the while he's enjoying a leisure walk, looking up admiring all he pretty trees.

Oh wait, maybe that only happens if you work for him. Never mind.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    I'm telling you guys, it's a trap. Don't let PhilO take you deep into the woods. He'll get ya lost, tell ya he knows where he is going and makes ya pack all this stuff around the woods. All the while he's enjoying a leisure walk, looking up admiring all he pretty trees.

Oh wait, maybe that only happens if you work for him. Never mind.

Not lost... just the scenic route.

Top Bottom