• Status
    Not open for further replies.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    In the spirit of Fenway's "About to Pimp My AR" thread ( https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/27014-about_to_pimp_my_ar.html ) I thought I would share the start of my EBR journey into BRD.

At the beginning of March I purchased a NIB Bushmaster Patrolman's M4 Carbine (M4gery) from a fellow INGOer. He was kind enough to include 5 extra magazines.

The purpose of this rifle is to be multi-faceted. It will be used for plinking (.22), target shooting (Appleseed perhaps?), SHTF/Zombies, and for home defense. It is also my intention to hit a carbine class (or two, or three).

For the latter reasons, I wanted something that wouldn't completely break the budget, but also something that didn't cheap out on what I think counts the most: usability and reliability. That's why I picked what I felt was a good solid manufacturer squarely in the "middle-ground" of the AR world. Sure, a Colt or an LMT would've been the bees knees, but right now they are priced out of my range.

A big thanks to all those INGOers in the Long Guns section that helped provide ample information on the AR platform. With your help I felt confident in making the decisions that I did. A special thanks goes to Mark (shooter521) for all the question answering that he provided during my search. He's a wealth of knowledge and a pretty good guy at that. :D If you have a Glock/AR/AK question and you need 1st hand answers, he's your guy.

Ok, on to the pr0n. . .

Bushmaster M4 Patrolman's Carbine
    Removeable carry handle
    5.56 caliber
    1:9" twist
    Chrome-lined bore and chamber
    6-position collapsible stock

m751d2.jpg

htzosk.jpg

Soon to add:

Ergo Suregrip
    Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
    Midwest Industries Free-float 2-piece quadrail
    Streamlight TLR-1 weapon light (not pictured)
    Aimpoint CompC3 2moa

20ky6go.jpg

I'll be sure to post 'after pics' after she's all done! (done for now anyway)

Future plans include:
    BUIS (the Troy units sure look nice)
    Optic Mount (drinking the LaRue kool-aid)
    Sling (1-, 2-, 3-point? Who knows!?)
    Mags (PMAGS)
    .22 Conversion (Spike's)
    Stock (Magpul CTR w/friction lock)
    VFG (something stubby)
    Rail covers (liking the Magpul XT and ladders) w/INGO patch

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    All that stuff (excluding the trigger guard) will take 5-15 mins, max. Get going man!!! :)

My problem is that once something comes in the mail, I have to do it right then, no matter what :D

Oh, and watch that spring and detent in the grip :thumbsup:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    All that stuff (excluding the trigger guard) will take 5-15 mins, max. Get going man!!! :)

My problem is that once something comes in the mail, I have to do it right then, no matter what :D

Oh, and watch that spring and detent in the grip :thumbsup:

The quadrail will take a bit more time, as the delta ring will need to be cut off. The rest of it should be fairly straight forward, but I'm gonna have Mark walk me through everything (and provide the tools :yesway:).

I did learn the detent spring trick from a YouTube video. :D

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    is it one that clamps over the cut off part of the external rings?

Either way, you sir, are much more patient than I. I can already hear the faint buzz of the dremel :D Good luck on it all!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Well, since your are following in Fenways footsteps, when are you going to buy a suppressor? :D

The same time my imaginary 10.5" barrel comes in. Crack dealer. :D

I guess I need to half-thank Craig for solidifying my decision to buy the Aimpoint vs. an EOThingy. (poor Fenway got so much CRAP for that, even from Mike @ Raven!)

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Nice rifle! As far as Optics mounts go, I really like the Aimpoint QRP mount. It works great on my Aimpoint clone, so I'm sure it would work just as well on the real McCoy!

It puts the sight high enough for the desireable lower 1/3 co-witness with your irons. I like to shoot mine with the rear BUIS folded out of the way. Gives me a faster acquisition. With the irons up its just like shooting regular irons, just with the addition of a nice red dot at the top of the Front Post.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Nice rifle! As far as Optics mounts go, I really like the Aimpoint QRP mount.

It puts the sight high enough for the desireable lower 1/3 co-witness with your irons.

I like the QRPs, too. They're rugged, they work, and because they are "old technology," you can pick 'em up for a song from the ARFcom guys who are constantly trying to keep up with the Joneses. I bought two that way for $50 apiece in VG+ condition with the M4 spacer. I would still be running them on my primary guns, if I hadn't won LaRue mounts at Pat Rogers' carbine course two years in a row! :D

All that said, the QRP with the M4 spacer gives a "true" co-witness, with the iron sights lining up in the middle of the Aimpoint window. I found that to be a bit cluttered even with the rear sight stowed, and prefer the lower 1/3 co-witness that the LaRue mounts provide.

YMMV.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Do you mean the barrel nut? The delta ring comes off with a pair of snap ring pliers.

No, he means the delta ring. The snap ring can be removed with the proper tool, but removing the underlying weld spring and the delta ring itself from an assembled barrel means either dismounting the FSB, or cutting the delta ring and spring off. Mr. Dremel makes the latter process much faster and easier than the former.

Midwest Industries MCTAR-20
    (Note first item under "Features")

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    I prefer to take off the FSB and have a spare delta ring for future builds. Depending on how many rounds have been through the rifle the taper pins can be a real pain, or come out fairly easy. If you heat it up with a butane torch it helps on the stubborn ones.

But the dremel way is defiantly quick.

Nice looking build you have going!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    No, he means the delta ring. The snap ring can be removed with the proper tool, but removing the underlying weld spring and the delta ring itself from an assembled barrel means either dismounting the FSB, or cutting the delta ring and spring off. Mr. Dremel makes the latter process much faster and easier than the former.

Midwest Industries MCTAR-20
    (Note first item under "Features")

Oh, I see, it's a 2-piece handguard. That makes sense.

But, the snap ring, spring, and delta ring can indeed be removed from a barrel assembly without cutting anything off. You do have to remove the barrel, but once the barrel is removed, the snap ring is the only thing holding the delta ring/spring on the barrel nut.

If one doesn't want to remove the barrel, then of course cutting is the only option.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's a good idea, but removing the front sight base defeats the purpose of getting a two-piece handguard that you can install . . . without removing the front sight base. If you're going to remove it anyway, you can just use a one-piece freefloat fore end and save some $$$.

I prefer to take off the FSB and have a spare delta ring for future builds. Depending on how many rounds have been through the rifle the taper pins can be a real pain, or come out fairly easy. If you heat it up with a butane torch it helps on the stubborn ones.

But the dremel way is defiantly quick.

Nice looking build you have going!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom