esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Teaser pic!

evan_carbine.jpg

This is still over at the "gunsmith's house" ;), but I will be picking it up later today. Can't wait to hang all my crap back on it! :D

Thanks Mark!

(more pictures to follow later this evening)

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok, the M4 is now back at home, and I've had a chance to check out the new Daniel Defense FSP 12.0 rail.

First impressions - I like the look! The extended rail almost fools the eye into thinking the barrel is shorter than 16", even though its not. The continuous upper rail gives the rifle a very clean appearance, along with the absence of any delta ring. I'm really liking the built-in QD attachment points on either side. The machining quality is top-notch, and the logo etchings are very well-done.

Here is the M4 waiting to be decorated with an assortment of accoutrements.

2z7ppqc.jpg

And here it is after trying a couple different configurations.

30igy03.jpg

I have not yet had a chance to shoot it, so I may end up changing things around a bit. I will also be testing out Magpul's new AFG soon, so that could change things up a bit as well. One issue I foresee is the placement of my support hand while activating the light, as it puts my thumb awfully close to a potentially hot FSB.

In the following picture you can kind of see where I recently swapped out my BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 (medium) charging handle to a Mod 3 (large). The difference wasn't much, but I do feel like I get a bit more purchase on the latch. We'll have to see if it is prone to hanging up on gear, although the design of the latch would seem to minimize that issue.

zunio8.jpg

The physical shape of the new DD rail is interesting, in that it feels much less round than the MI MCTAR-20 I had on before. I like it.

98anbs.jpg

Again, as I've said many times in this thread alone, a big thanks goes to shooter521 for his patience with me, and his willingness to work on my carbine. :yesway: :ingo:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    And here is Part II for today.

Mr. Postman dropped off an interesting little toy today. An Aimpoint T1 Micro clone from a company called Primary Arms. Primary Arms Micro Dot (Gen 2)

I'd REALLY like to upgrade to a real Aimpoint Micro someday, but the funds and necessity just aren't there right now. Primary Arms recently marked there entire lineup of Micro knockoffs as "Blemished", because this batch didn't meet their QC spec of being a completely sealed unit. You can read more about this deal here: Pics and comments about the Micro Dot - AR15.COM

The good news about the "Blemished" deal was that price on this unit was only $59! I added a $30 quick-release riser and the deal was still only $93 shipped. I've heard very positive reviews of the Primary Arms clones, so a sub-$100 RDS was just the ticket.

Initial impressions are quite positive, and I'll be reviewing it more completely in another thread at a later date.

hwa5xj.jpg

2lw6ro6.jpg

a5ji84.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Nice! I haven't been able to install mine yet. I just ordered my "upper vice blocks" yesterday.

Did you order the proprietary DD barrel nut wrench that they say you MUST have to install it? If you haven't, DON'T.

Mark can chime in here, but he used another tool that did the job just perfectly.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Did you order the proprietary DD barrel nut wrench that they say you MUST have to install it? If you haven't, DON'T.

Mark can chime in here, but he used another tool that did the job just perfectly.

Nope, I didn't. Their Barrel nut takes the same exact wrench as a castle nut for a butt-stock. :)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    When I took the nut out of the bag, I figured that the Castle nut wrench would fit it. Saved me $20:)

I probably would've bought it myself if Mark hadn't said "you know, that looks an awful lot like a castle nut wrench. . . ."

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    And here is Part II for today.

Mr. Postman dropped off an interesting little toy today. An Aimpoint T1 Micro clone from a company called Primary Arms. Primary Arms Micro Dot (Gen 2)

I'd REALLY like to upgrade to a real Aimpoint Micro someday, but the funds and necessity just aren't there right now. Primary Arms recently marked there entire lineup of Micro knockoffs as "Blemished", because this batch didn't meet their QC spec of being a completely sealed unit. You can read more about this deal here: Pics and comments about the Micro Dot - AR15.COM

The good news about the "Blemished" deal was that price on this unit was only $59! I added a $30 quick-release riser and the deal was still only $93 shipped. I've heard very positive reviews of the Primary Arms clones, so a sub-$100 RDS was just the ticket.

Initial impressions are quite positive, and I'll be reviewing it more completely in another thread at a later date.

hwa5xj.jpg

2lw6ro6.jpg

a5ji84.jpg

This is like putting UTG rails on a Daniel Defense gun! :stickpoke::): Blasphemy!

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have an M3 clone from Primary Arms. Its nothin' but nice. Looking forward to a report on that little guy. I said if I had the money I'd have a real aimpoint, but the clone suits my needs, holds zero, looks fancy, puts holes in paper reliably. I can say I'm glad I didn't buy a real one. More $$ for ammo and, well, food. LOL

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Note to self: Don't buy any more clones of popular optics I may be lusting after. :D

jl5jzd.jpg

I quickly mounted it up and snapped a cell pic. So far I REALLY like the size and weight of the micro. Oh man. . . . .

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Note to self: Don't buy any more clones of popular optics I may be lusting after. :D

jl5jzd.jpg

I quickly mounted it up and snapped a cell pic. So far I REALLY like the size and weight of the micro. Oh man. . . . .

How is the weight difference and weight forward difference compared to the 7" you had before?
    OH, that looks good....

you must like teasing....

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Q: Do you need a riser at all if you want an absolute cowitness of the irons and dot? I noticed on the link that the riser is for a lower 1/3 cowitness.

A: To be honest, the co-witness sucks with the riser. The red dot module inside the optic tube is in the 6 o'clock position, so it does a pretty good job of obscuring the co-witness anyway. No biggie for me, as its a play toy more than anything.

Without the riser though, the tube would sit too low on the rail, making it tough to get a good cheek weld, and I'm guessing my front sight post would be in the way. It certainly wouldn't provide an absolute co-witness.

If you look at the ARFCOM link, there is some talk of another riser (by another manufacturer) that provides an absolute co-witness (if memory serves).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom