• Status
    Not open for further replies.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    If you take your dog out to potty and while he's out there sniffing around, a crackhead jumps out of the bushes with a sharp stick and goes after the dog. Can you shoot? Asking for a friend.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    So glad to see all the pitbull owners quickly defend their lovely dog breed.

Wonder how many small children will have to be attacked or killed before "they" see the light...

Any animal crosses the street to attack my cowdog and I will drop it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

The only dog bite scars I carry are from an English Setter....I don't own a Pit Bull but I look at them the same as I look at all dogs..Individually..

[video=youtube;5yipVhZfcIw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yipVhZfcIw[/video]

You should see how quick the Glock guys come to defend Glock's when there is an A/D or N/D and someone got hurt and/or dead....:)

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

Wonder how many small children will have to be attacked or killed before "they" see the light...

Sounds just like the argument the anti gunners use about guns.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I just wish we had the Liberty to fire warning shots at dogs in Carmel. :laugh:

Not an owner, but I have seen/known multiple pits. Know quite a few that are big babies that love other dogs. I also know of more that were more than aggresive. Like the one across the street.

Kids moved in with one of those fat head pits. He's really short, big fat head, and a scaredy cat. He's very timid, friendly, and gentle when his owners are by his side. When they are inside he wont even approach the fence. He might give a half hearted bark at you, (more like a loud harrumph) but isnt obnoxious.

Then they adopted a young pit from the shelter last fall. This spring she jumped the fence 3x in a week and attacked 3 dogs. I had to help separate one attack. She was put down. (Their original pit followed but didnt participate in the attacks)

To me, its more to do with how they are raised than the breed itself. It may have some tendencies, but they seem to need to be brought out. I might own a pit, but only if I raised it myself. NEVER from a shelter or other unknown background.

Personally, (thank God I dont live there) I'd have put 3 or 4 JHPs in it. "Officer, It was attacking my dog. I was in fear for my life because I'm sure I'd be next."

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

I have been bitten bad enough to go to the ER twice times by freaken poodles. But no issues with my pit. So why not defend him when you know someone is going to judge the breed by the action of a few dogs. There is always way more to the story.

I will not comment any farther. This is always a bad subject for me.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    That pisses me off to hear that happened to you and your dog. Insist that the Pit is put down.

The Pit apologists were quick to jump to the dogs defense and talk about their wonderful gentle beasts but where will they be when it happens again, or to a child.

True, most pits never attack and all dogs can bite, but to say it's bad owners leaves out that the traits these dog's ancestors were chosen to create the the breed. Loyalty, brute strength, aggressiveness, and fearless persistence when attacking. These traits are genetically hardwired into the breed. They were created to be weapons with a brain, not pets.

A poodle can bite too obviously, one, twice, maybe three times... but it doesn't have the instinct to chew your face off or crush your trachea. Pit Bull Myths - Dangerous Dogs - DogsBite.org

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Here we go again.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I remember taking our little miniature schnauzer (at the time) for a walk when I lived over in Churchmouse's neck of the woods. I was lust walking it down the sidewalk when all of a sudden a pit bull broke through the screen door of a house as we walked by and came for my little dog. It was probably quite a sight. I was yelling at the pit while literally swinging my little dog around in the air by the leash (she had a harness, not a collar, so she wasn't being choked) to keep her just out of the grasp of the pit. After what seemed like a couple of minutes, but was probably 30 seconds, the owner came out and called the dog back and apologized. I was more or less speechless and just left to get my pup back home.

Several years ago, the neighbors behind me where I live now had a pit mix that was very agressive and it grabbed DoggyMama by the upper arm as she was just leaning on the fence talking to the neighbor that lived next door to the one with the pit. We called animal control and they confiscated the dog and had it destroyed. It belonged to the neighbor's live-in girlfriend and after that happened, she and her daughter (mother of the year she was NOT), would sit out at the fence and yell obscenities at DoggyMama and me if they saw us out on our deck. Wasn't hard to tell where the pit got its demeanor. Turned out this was the third time the dog had been cited for biting people and I guess that was the third strike against it.

I have also known some very sweet loving pits. One such (American Staffordshire technically, but still a "bully breed") got loose from the owners' yard and wound up at our house. We placed a lost pet ad on craigslist and within a few hours the owner came and got her. Good thing too, because that dog was just a big gentle baby. She knew she was lost and just wanted to get home. She even put her paws up on my shoulders and leaned her head in against me and just let out a big sigh when I hugged her. If we hadn't found the owners, I have no doubt we'd still have her. She got along with our other dogs too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom