• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Made an Atterbury trip tonight and it was another awesome range trip: beautiful weather and an empty range. I wasn't planning on it, but I shot all of the rounds that I had made for a ladder load. All indications point to this being a sub half-moa rifle if I keep fine tuning the load. The results were as follows:

42.0gr - Overall: .724" -- Vertical: .245" (sight in)
    42.0gr - Overall: .392" -- Vertical: .294"
    42.5gr - Overall: .677" -- Vertical: .510"
    43.0gr - Overall: .251" -- Vertical: .251"
    43.5gr - Overall: .533" -- Vertical: .398"
    44.0gr - Overall: .394" -- Vertical: .358"
    44.5gr - Overall: .585" -- Vertical: .424"
    45.0gr - Overall: .556" -- Vertical: .267"
    45.5gr - Overall: .615" -- Vertical: .520"
    46.0gr - Overall: .705" -- Vertical: .319"

Pics or it didn't happen.....

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Just curious on some more info on your loads (ie. Powder, projectile, case, brand, lengths?)

I just did similar load development today using 168gr Amax, CCI primers, Nosler cases, and Varget powder. Seems like around 44.0 gr Varget is the sweet spot so now to load up some test loads in .1 gr increments for me.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Just curious on some more info on your loads (ie. Powder, projectile, case, brand, lengths?)

I just did similar load development today using 168gr Amax, CCI primers, Nosler cases, and Varget powder. Seems like around 44.0 gr Varget is the sweet spot so now to load up some test loads in .1 gr increments for me.

Varget, CCI primers, 175 grain Sierra Match Kings, virgin Lapua brass. I can't remember OAL. It's not even close to the lands I know that. I loaded 'em up so they barely fit in an AI magazine. All the stuff I just shot at Atterbury wasn't really meant for shooting groups. That whole batch was loaded to be an actual ladder test. I'll have to load up some more for that test.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Varget, CCI primers, 175 grain Sierra Match Kings, virgin Lapua brass. I can't remember OAL. It's not even close to the lands I know that. I loaded 'em up so they barely fit in an AI magazine. All the stuff I just shot at Atterbury wasn't really meant for shooting groups. That whole batch was loaded to be an actual ladder test. I'll have to load up some more for that test.

I got ya. I need to load up some more in .1 gr increments to narrow down the specific load. It is nice seeing your info as we are both working on loads for pretty similar rifles. I look forward to seeing what you get worked up, keep us informed.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    New plan:
    Stiller Tac 30 action
    Krieger M24 barrel
    Timney Trigger
    Revolution stock
    SWFA SS 12x42 MRAD

Lol, this is how it goes for those seeking precision performance from their rifles. I did the same thing recently when I bought a Rem700 5R, a Vortex PST and XLR Element chassis. It was a "budget build" I said, no need to spend big money as for its purpose there was such as thing as "accurate enough". I now have the same receiver but it has been trued, has a Krieger barrel installed and is sitting in an XLR Carbon chassis with a Vortex Gen II Razor 3-18x. I'd have saved myself $1000 if I'd have just been honest with myself and done it right the first time, I have no excuse as I've been down this road several times now.

Looks like you'll have one heck of a nice rifle when it's done!

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Lol, this is how it goes for those seeking precision performance from their rifles. I did the same thing recently when I bought a Rem700 5R, a Vortex PST and XLR Element chassis. It was a "budget build" I said, no need to spend big money as for its purpose there was such as thing as "accurate enough". I now have the same receiver but it has been trued, has a Krieger barrel installed and is sitting in an XLR Carbon chassis with a Vortex Gen II Razor 3-18x. I'd have saved myself $1000 if I'd have just been honest with myself and done it right the first time, I have no excuse as I've been down this road several times now.

Looks like you'll have one heck of a nice rifle when it's done!

Yeah it's a big time do-over. I'm going "less expensive" on the stock and scope and concentrating more on the drivetrain. It's just the process we have to go through I guess. I am excited though. It's gonna be a while. 'Smith will probably have it all winter.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Scope showed up today. SWFA SS 12x42 MRAD. I really like positive clicks on the elevation and windage knobs. Glass seems good. Reticle is nice and fine. Feels like a good one.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I do find this interesting. I went the similar route that you and phylodog went, that is to go with a "budget build" first. I suspect that the labor for machine work will be the cost difference. It will be interesting to see what the bottom line is.

Top Bottom