• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm never going to be in a combat situation where I have to make quick follow up shots at different ranges. I might do some F Class some day but all that's as exciting as it will ever get. That's all dial-it-in stuff anyway.

I get what your saying, but the tricky thing with dialing for wind is its always changing unlike where gravity is constant. That's why I prefer to dial for drop and hold for wind, which doesn't work as well with an untraditional use of the reticle. That said, you should definitely try it out a few different ways and find what works for you. Really doesn't cost you anything outside of ammo to experiment, and its a lot of fun to run it a few different ways.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    So this happened tonight. Sighted in the new scope with some hornady soft tip stuff, no biggie. I was going to try and determine max load for my rifle. Hodgdon's website says 45 grains is max for 175 grain SMKs over Varget. So I loaded up 5 cartridges. 45 grains up to 45.8 grains in .2 increments. Get it out to the range and this is what it shot:

The three shot cluster on the left is 45.4, 45.6, and 45.8 grains. It measured .283". Not a single pressure sign. I didn't have a chrono with me this time so no velocity numbers. Hmmmmmm

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Looks like you've got a shooter on your hands. Once you find the load it likes you're gonna have a ball with it, congrats!

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area

First Ladder Load is ready. Just gotta find some time to get up to Bass and Bucks. The suspense is killing me!!

I'm jealous as hell! I've been itching to get out and work up a load for my rifle. Really dig your setup, I may have missed it but what scope.exactly did you end up buying to replace the original one you had on here?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    That's what I thought I read that you were considering it but was not sure if that was your final choice. You are down around my wife's home town of Hope. Where are you doing your shooting at in that area?

Mostly Atterbury. I'd like to get down to Crosley, it goes out to 200. Hopefully a couple times a year I'll be able to take it up to Bass and Bucks and really stretch it out. Or get hooked up with a farmer or something like that.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Mostly Atterbury. I'd like to get down to Crosley, it goes out to 200. Hopefully a couple times a year I'll be able to take it up to Bass and Bucks and really stretch it out. Or get hooked up with a farmer or something like that.
    It's a bit of a drive for you as well but there is a range just outside of Brazil that goes out to 300 and supposed to be 400 sometime soon. That is where I regularly shoot.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I'm glad to hear you're keeping it! I was surprised to see it in the classifieds after all the time and love that went into it!

Top Bottom