My Encounter with Border Patrol: aka "Does I'd like to talk to a Lawyer really work?"

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    then why do you think its goofy to stand up for whats legal?

i dont wanna do a ride along with you. I dont like you based on what you are here. I hardly wanna sit in a car with you. Im a straight shooter too. theres other officers on here that I respect and appreciate who have offered me ride alongs, and as soon as I get time and feeling better I will take them up on their offer. thats as blunt as I can be

OK no prob.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Once, many years ago, I had nothing to hide. I answered the questions, I gave permission to search my vehicle. I trusted the police; I truly believed they were out there to help people.

I went to jail for "possession of burglary tools" based entirely on the box of standard mechanic's tools in my trunk. Even though no charge was actually filed, I ended up with a permanent arrest record, and it cost me several thousand dollars, 10 years later when I got a job as a securities broker, and it showed up on the background check. I had to fly out to California to obtain official documentation, and had to leave that very day or lose my job.

So I'm NEVER playing your little games again. I learned that lesson the hard way.

By the way, that arrest was the very first time in my life that I was ever pulled over. So you'll have to forgive me for not trusting you as far as I can throw your ******* car.

Wow I hate to hear that. We in Indiana don't have that law that I am aware of. Not being nosy but you were just stopped at random and tools were found and you were arrested based on that?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    You must real intimidating. 15 years...nary a one. smells like :poop:

Intimidating? Not sure what that has to do with the story. Maybe I just know how to treat people. Ever think of that?

That was actually quite a arrogant statement IMO. I am a lot of things and have my own faults but lying is not one of them.

Some of you guys disagree with a person and then start the insults. Grow up won't you.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Intimidating? Not sure what that has to do with the story. Maybe I just know how to treat people. Ever think of that?

That was actually quite a arrogant statement IMO. I am a lot of things and have my own faults but lying is not one of them.

Some of you guys disagree with a person and then start the insults. Grow up won't you.

No I didn't think of that, from your posts how could I?

Not calling you a liar, unfornutately I belive you are sincere. Your attitude is what smells like..:poop:

You grow up, you are the one neg repping just because you got neg rep. A little childish I would say.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wow I hate to hear that. We in Indiana don't have that law that I am aware of. Not being nosy but you were just stopped at random and tools were found and you were arrested based on that?

I was 21 years old at the time. I had just left a bar, at which I had been playing in a pool tournament, and hadn't had anything to drink all night (I never drink when I play pool, poker or music). I was pulled over within 1/4 mile of the bar, and was yelled at for being drunk, weaving all over the road, and putting at risk every child in the neighborhood (because little kids are always playing in the street at 2 am). After I passed all the FST's, and he realized an arrest for DUI would never fly, is when the rest happened.

I was young, dumb and didn't know any better. These days if you want to know where I'm coming from, or where I'm going, or if I know why I was pulled over, or anything else, you can feel free to ask my attorney. And under the advice of my attorney, I will not grant consent for any sort of search whatsoever.

I don't like those games, and I won't play them; and I take great umbrage to the idea that having nothing to hide means someone will always be good to go.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Once, many years ago, I had nothing to hide. I answered the questions, I gave permission to search my vehicle. I trusted the police; I truly believed they were out there to help people.

I went to jail for "possession of burglary tools" based entirely on the box of standard mechanic's tools in my trunk. Even though no charge was actually filed, I ended up with a permanent arrest record, and it cost me several thousand dollars, 10 years later when I got a job as a securities broker, and it showed up on the background check. I had to fly out to California to obtain official documentation, and had to leave that very day or lose my job.

So I'm NEVER playing your little games again. I learned that lesson the hard way.

By the way, that arrest was the very first time in my life that I was ever pulled over. So you'll have to forgive me for not trusting you as far as I can throw your ******* car.

There's no way this story can be true. I know that, because I've been assured it never happens. If it DID happen, it was just an isolated incident.

And also, the officer who arrested you just wants to go home safe every night.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I was 21 years old at the time. I had just left a bar, at which I had been playing in a pool tournament, and hadn't had anything to drink all night (I never drink when I play pool, poker or music). I was pulled over within 1/4 mile of the bar, and was yelled at for being drunk, weaving all over the road, and putting at risk every child in the neighborhood (because little kids are always playing in the street at 2 am). After I passed all the FST's, and he realized an arrest for DUI would never fly, is when the rest happened.

I was young, dumb and didn't know any better. These days if you want to know where I'm coming from, or where I'm going, or if I know why I was pulled over, or anything else, you can feel free to ask my attorney. And under the advice of my attorney, I will not grant consent for any sort of search whatsoever.

I don't like those games, and I won't play them; and I take great umbrage to the idea that having nothing to hide means someone will always be good to go.

Well that is most certainly messed up. I only know of possibly one guy that would do something like that. I keep my distance from him.

Did you take a plea by chance?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well that is most certainly messed up. I only know of possibly one guy that would do something like that. I keep my distance from him.

No. when I got to court with my dad, intending to plead not guilty, on the date I was given, the judge told me that either no charge was filed or it had already been dismissed. It's been almost 25 years now, so my memory on that detail is a little hazy to be honest. I do remember for sure that I did not have to enter a plea, I was free to go, and the judge was annoyed at me for wasting his time, and finally that I have no record beyond that arrest and a couple of tickets (and it's been 5 years now since I got one of THOSE). No convictions whatsoever. Just an arrest for something with the word "burglary" in it, which played havoc with my securities licensing.

Just like YOU don't want to take the chance that some armed guy with a license isn't a bad guy, WE don't want to take the chance that someone who pulls us over isn't going to Nifong us right into jail and screw up our lives. Take it from me, that happens.

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Does that story change your view about not consenting to searches and questioning? I think you used the word "goofy" or something like it. Any change in viewpoint?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

You personally know a police officer that would do that. I have no idea if the officer I'm interacting with is the one in question. Are you suggesting I play Russian roulette and hope everything turns out ok?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    You personally know a police officer that would do that. I have no idea if the officer I'm interacting with is the one in question. Are you suggesting I play Russian roulette and hope everything turns out ok?

He pointed out the HE keeps his distance from the guy. He doesn't really care about the citizens who get stopped by the guy. Those citizens are probably guilty of SOMETHING.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    So what was the point in being a d---? Were you hiding something illegal or is just your thing to hassle guys attempting to do a job? I am a little confused I guess. I am embarrassed for you,your wife and kids. Sheezzz.:rolleyes:

and

Must suck looking over your shoulders all the time and freaking out every time you see a police car or a LEO. Holy Cow!!:n00b:

and

I was not implying that a person who does the parrot song on a stop is a criminal. Just goofy..

and

Man dude toughen up a little. No one is out to get you. No one is out to violate your rights.

but then....

Instead of being embarrassed for and insulting those who feel the need to protect themselves against police officers because of the actions of a few bad ones, why not be embarrassed by the behavior of the one guy you keep clear of. How about insulting him instead? He is the guy that makes your job harder. He is the guy that makes it necessary for all citizens to be wary of their interactions with police officers.

You say no one is out to violate your rights but it sounds like even you know a guy who would.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Instead of being embarrassed for and insulting those who feel the need to protect themselves against police officers because of the actions of a few bad ones, why not be embarrassed by the behavior of the one guy you keep clear of. How about insulting him instead? He is the guy that makes your job harder. He is the guy that makes it necessary for all citizens to be wary of their interactions with police officers.

You say no one is out to violate your rights but it sounds like even you know a guy who would.
    Omertà exists in many organisations. It doesn't pay to speak ill of fellow gang members.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Dog pile! This thread has been hilarious so far. I'm just getting something in here so I can find it more easily and check in. :yesway:

Well ain't that just selfish, wasting everyone's time bookmarking a thread.... ohh wait, I just did it too.

Top Bottom