• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think this was covered up thread but you don't want to shoot 22 through a rifle can. I'd buy a can for your 300blk/556 and then get a 22 can. You need to be able to clean the 22 can. There are some options out there for user serviceable rifle cans but they never seem to be nearly as good as a fully welded. Plus it's ridiculous hanging on the end of a 10/22.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    If I build my own, it will be serviceable. Plus, I'll be building it with vale spring retainers. Those are going to be well equipped for what I run through the can.
    Since I won't have to buy my parts until the stamp comes back, I may actually end up building a full titanium suppressor with TI VSR's.
    Gotta love how plans change lol

Cbrs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    brownsburg
    I cant speak for Rebel's build quality because I have nothing to compare it to, but I'd stay away from Rebel just because of the customer service. They claim to care about their customers, but you will literally spend weeks trying to get a hold of someone if you have a problem orquestion. The good thing I can say about them is that when I did talk to someone I spoke to the owner.

Also I'm not sure where you are located, but Indy Trading post in Indianapolis lets you have visitation rights to your can while you're awaiting the ATF checks to go through.

rimfireOH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2017
    Easterly
    I bought an SOS-22 back when they were cheaper. I didn't read the instructions about sending five rounds through each section as you stack it up (basically enlarging the hole) before shooting and I shot off the end cap, so I can confirm that at one point, the version I purchased is a low-finish product.

They were quite happy to replace my end cap and I've been shooting it happily for about a month now. It's functional, but no where near the quality of my SilencerCo Sparrow.

rimfireOH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2017
    Easterly
    Oh, and consider a suppressor for each of your calibers. My MysticX is great with 556 and 300BLK, but isn't quite as good for my .22

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Well, it's been a few months. Shall I update?
    Unfortunately, no suppressor has been ordered. YET.

Here's a quick rundown of what has transpired in the past 6 months:
    TL;DR version for ya - It took me 6 months to get my trust paperwork signed/notorized, I was going to build my first suppressor, a YouTube video made me look for cheap cans again, and in the process I found the XXX Warrior by American Manufacturing. After talking with Mike, the owner, I've decided that's the can that I'm purchasing. I'll have it sent to the Indy Trading Post so that I can test it out at their range while waiting for the paperwork to come back.

I literally printed off my trust paperwork 4 times before it was finally signed/notorized, and that was on Friday. If I wasn't busy on Saturday off racing or fixing something, then my wife worked the night before and we'd both completely forget to go have the trust signed.
    Honestly, I probably should have just paid to have a notary come over (I guess that's a thing, right?). But I was cheap about it and instead of a small sum of money, it cost me 6 months of time. Don't be like me.

That being said, my Trust Paperwork is done and this week I had planned on sending in a Form 1 because I was going to build a full titanium suppressor using some titanium solvent trap tubes and adapters from various sources, then I was going to purchase titanium valve spring retainers and turn them down on a lathe and get them bored to the appropriate size. Lastly, I was going to purchase a guide rod to make sure that the entire thing wouldn't blow up in my face, at least not due to obstructions in the bullet's path.

That all changed after I saw a Demolition Ranch video featuring a Black Aces Tactical Po' Boy for 223. I'd considered this suppressor awhile back but due to the supposedly super cheap nature of it, I had decided against. This time around, I almost pulled the trigger. For $200, it couldn't be *that* bad, could it?
    I wanted to see if I could find some pictures of it taken apart, since it is user serviceable. I wanted to know what the internals were. I don't know why, but it mattered to me. However, I still cannot find a picture of their internals; at least not one that's been taken in the last 8 months.

In the process, someone on INGO had started a "my first supressor" thread asking what can would be the absolute best. Knowing that most of those threads are insanely open ended because everyone has a different set of needs, making it impossible to determine "the best one," I had initially skipped that thread.
    For whatever reason, it popped up again and I decided to read it. In the thread, a user mentioned a "Ghost Wind" suppressor that was really cheap. After looking into it, I found out that it was a suppressor made by American Manufacturing and is actually called the XXX Warrior.

Well, after talking with Mike, the owner of American Manufacturing, I'm 100% sold on his cans and I'm getting one. $400, 8 inches long, and weighing in at 18 ounces (he actually weighed one while we were on the phone), I'm happy with the specs. It's going to live on my 8.5" 300 Blackout pistol and will occasionally visit my 16" 300 Blackout and 16" 223 uppers. Mike insured me that the can will hold up to supers and subs in both rifle and pistol length barrels for at least 300blk (I didn't ask about 223 because I don't plan on getting a short barreled 223). It sounds like his cans are built like tanks.
    On top of that, he's been a super nice guy and has answered a bunch of my questions in a way that lets you know he cares about his product and will back it up.

I would also like to go over part of the NFA process that I'd never really considered/known about.
    Part of my reasoning for never buying a suppressor in the past was A- wait time, and B- cash. Wait time played a large role in that.
    Had I know that I could purchase the suppressor and have it sent to the Indy Trading Post and shoot it while waiting for my tax stamp to come back, I'd have been more inclined to purchase one long ago.
    Now, had I known that not only could I do the above, but also wait a week or so to start the stamp process separately from purchasing the suppressor, I would have indeed purchased a suppressor years back.

This is something that no one had ever explained to me and that hadn't been made clear in purchasing process.
    For those that don't know, the suppressor is purchased as a firearm and in the same process as buying a firearm online. So if you've ever purchased a rifle/pistol/shotgun from an online website or through GunBroker or similar means, then you've already done this process. If not, it's as simple as giving the vendor/seller your local FFL's contact information. The vendor/seller will contact your local FFL and get their FFL information and, in the case of an NFA purchase, their SOT information. Your local FFL will ask for the same information, and then both sides will check to make sure everything is kosher.
    Once FFL/SOT info has been verified, the vendor/seller will ship the firearm to your local FFL. At this point, for a non-NFA item, you'd just go in, fill out a 4473, and they'll run the regular checks and if you pass, you walk out with your firearm.
    In the case of an NFA purchase, this is where you start the stamp process.

Remember how I said you can purchase the suppressor and have it sent to your FFL, but not fill out the stamp info right away? I'm not sure entirely what happens if that's what you decide to do. Since I probably won't be able to start the stamp process once my suppressor comes in, I'll find out and report back (unless someone else wants to interject).

But that's roughly where I'm at. I will hopefully be placing an order for a XXX Warrior from American Manufacturing on Friday and will start the stamp process within a couple weeks of its arrival.
    I am going to have it sent to the Indy Trading Post. It's a little out of my way, but also the only shop that I know of in Indy that will also let me shoot my suppressor on their range while waiting.
    That was a huge part of my decision to go ahead and purchase a suppressor from a known vendor rather than building my first one. Being able to use it, even if in limited capacity, was much better than sitting and waiting 9+ months for the stamp to come back, plus the wait time I'd have to get the parts in and get them built/cut down/assembled.

If you've made it this far in my post, I appreciate you sticking around. I can get a little carried away with details. Hopefully that was a good for this post.

I'll have more to post around Friday and I'll definitely post up some photos/videos once I get a chance to handle the can and put a few rounds through it.

One last thing- it's great when you can talk with people who know what they are doing and are willing to share knowledge with you. For that, I'd like to thank Tyler at Indy Trading Post, who has been super helpful talking with me about the suppressor purchasing process. I'd also like to thank Mike at American Manufacturing for being informative and respectful in answering my possibly dumb questions about his suppressors and suppressors in general.
    If I ever purchase another suppressor (I'd like to build my own in the future), I'll definitely be talking to both of these companies/individuals again. Customer service means a ton to me, and so far they are both nailing it.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Why buy from a company that literally no one's even heard of for an item you'll be married to forever? $400?? Buy a YHM Resonator for the same price. A company that people know and have had their CS tested. If you destroy a YHM can they'll give you new one AND pay the tax stamp.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Why buy from a company that literally no one's even heard of for an item you'll be married to forever? $400?? Buy a YHM Resonator for the same price. A company that people know and have had their CS tested. If you destroy a YHM can they'll give you new one AND pay the tax stamp.

I am the guy who also has an AmerMfg can. Mine is a ghost wind, but maybe he changed the name?? S/N actually starts GW, ghost wind sounds like some type of a fart you lay down in a grocery store aisle anyway. I hope he did go back to calling them xxx whatevers. The can itself, well it's a mother****ing tank. It is super quiet and I wouldn't hesitate to order another can from him. He always answers the phone, and is super quick with shipping. He also told me that the can was warrantied for anything that can fit through the hole. I've only fired mine a handful of times as it is still in jail. My other two cans are a thunder beast and YHM.

And AmerMFG is just over in St. Louis. You can actually visit his shop if you had an issue over a long weekend or on a business trip. I do not forsee any problems, did I mention it's a *#*#ing tank?

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I am the guy who also has an AmerMfg can. Mine is a ghost wind, but maybe he changed the name?? S/N actually starts GW, ghost wind sounds like some type of a fart you lay down in a grocery store aisle anyway. I hope he did go back to calling them xxx whatevers. The can itself, well it's a mother****ing tank. It is super quiet and I wouldn't hesitate to order another can from him. He always answers the phone, and is super quick with shipping. He also told me that the can was warrantied for anything that can fit through the hole. I've only fired mine a handful of times as it is still in jail. My other two cans are a thunder beast and YHM.

And AmerMFG is just over in St. Louis. You can actually visit his shop if you had an issue over a long weekend or on a business trip. I do not forsee any problems, did I mention it's a *#*#ing tank?

^^This. The few articles I did find all reported that the American can was a complete tank. I also found that he's been in business since 1998.
    Ggreen, when I talked to him on the phone he said that the Ghost Wind is the same as the XXX Warrior. A local shop wanted to stock his suppressors, but didn't like the XXX name; thought it would give people the wrong idea. So he threw out Ghost Wind.
    I'm glad you are seeing the same customer service I was getting when I talked with him the other day. Makes me even more sure that this is the way to go.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Good news!
    I purchased the XXX Warrior from American Manufacturing and it showed up last week.

Bad news!
    I was insanely busy and the one day I had to get over and shoot it, we spent the entire time working on the Stamp paperwork. Didn't even get that finished, which sucks, but it happens.
    However, I did get a picture of the can and a picture of it attached to my 300BLK pistol.

Planning on going over there after work tonight to put a few rounds through it.

ikaaIbhl.jpg

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    My stamp was approved on the 24th. Hoping that the stamp will be at the shop this week so I can take mine home. Still need to order a few more muzzle brake mounts.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Sweet! Did you get the quick detach model?
    Right now... I wanted to get my foot in the door so I grabbed the direct thread model. Saved me a hundred bucks and it's mostly gonna stay on the pistol anyway.

I am very much looking forward to shooting it tonight.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I don't know if i'm going to be completely happy with my choice vs. direct thread. Thread adapters are much cheaper than the brakes.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    That is true. But if you're changing hosts often, I can completely see the value of the QD's.
    At some point I'm hoping to build my own full TI can. If/when I do, it will definitely have a QD mount system because it will likely be passed around quite often between the 22, 223, and 300.
    But for now, this can will live almost exclusively on the 300 pistol. I did pick up an adapter so I can shoot it on my 22 and 223 upper. Won't be often, but at least I have the option. And it was only $25 lol

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have a dedicated rimfire can. Not worth the risk of a baffle strike or the hassle of trying to clean lead out of a sealed can.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    When I talked with Mike, his words were, "don't put 500 through it in a sitting, but yeah a few won't hurt. If you do put some 22 through it, put a few full power 223 or 300 rounds through it and that will help clean it out."

I directly asked him about cleaning the can and he said it wasn't necessary. In the few that he's cut open to check out, even after thousands of rounds, he said that they didn't have much if any build up. **EDIT for clarity - He was referring to thousands of rounds of 223 and 300blk rounds, not thousands of rimfire rounds.**

This isn't going to be a rimfire can by any means, but I've got a 10/22 that I'm addicted to shooting, so I would really like to put some subs through it to see how silly quiet it runs.
    I'll probably DIY my first rimfire can. I do feel confident enough in my abilities to handle that lol

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Yeah cleaning is basically unneeded in most non rimfire cans. Rimfire rounds have some cumulative filth. I've not seen any say to go more than 500 without cleaning. Baffle strikes were more my worry, i'd be very disappointed in myself if I was 600 dollars into a can with stamp only to ruin it with a .04 cent 22 round.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I guess I'm not too worried about baffle strikes. Most, if not all, of the 22 ammo I'd run would be higher quality subsonic rounds, so less likely to be junk. On top of that, those rounds are coming out of a KIDD barrel. Meaning that I trust the threads on the end are concentric to the flight path of the round. To top it off, it's a 30 cal can. There's a lot of margin for error, IMO.

After work I stopped by my FFL to put some rounds through my new suppressor. Wow. This is so much fun. It really sucked that there was someone else shooting in there, because I really wanted to pop an earplug out to see how quiet it truly was.

My goodness, suppressed shooting is officially the only way to go for me lol. It felt so right when it was on my 300blk pistol and it wasn't all that bad on the end of my rifle. It really does help mellow out the recoil, and the lack of a boom coming from the muzzle is flat out glorious. Really, I'm blown away by how fantastic this is. Oh, ps- this is the first time I've ever shot a big boy suppressor. I've seen/shot some 22 cans with subs, but there's not really any bite to begin with.
    The experience was great and I look forward to making stops often. I need to pick up some 110gr Hornady rounds for a prairie dog hunting trip I'm stocking up on, so I might as well pick up some 150gr fmj rounds to experiment subsonic plinking loads with lol

Anyway, here's a quick video I put together from shooting it. The majority of the video is action. And me laughing. Because seriously, this was so much fun and I can't wait to get back for more!
    (action starts at 1 minute and officially ends around 5 minutes).

[video=youtube_share;pFLwqMMqnLI]https://youtu.be/pFLwqMMqnLI[/video]

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Mine is going home :D I can't wait to get it on one of my AR's. I really need to get the 5/8x24 muzzle device so I can get it on my blackouts. :D One of these days I'm going to get a 300blk bolt gun to see just how quiet it really is. I'm guessing primary duty will be on my 260rem tho. It's a bit heavy to be something I'd want to always have on my ar's. My pistol suppressor is rated for 300blk subs, and it is much lighter. Now I'm about to talk myself into a lighter 5.56 can... must resist my tax bill is pretty heavy this year lol

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Not gonna lie, I'm pretty jealous. This 8-9 month wait is gonna really suck :/

But I'm going back to shoot it again tonight... For the third time this week lol.
    I will actually be using my 22 tonight. Probably only put a few subsonic rounds through it. Then I've got some more reloads that I want to try out on the rifle.
    It really is addicting. And it doesn't help that it's on the way home from work, so it's easy to stop by and shoot it for a few minutes each day.

I'm looking into building a single shot 300blk... From a barrel blank and a single shot shotgun. No idea how well it's going to work, but it should be interesting to say the least (if I actually attempt it).

I'm not sure how interested you would be, but you could build a 300blk pistol for this can. I'm telling you, the weight feels really good on an 8.5" barrel. Almost like it was designed for it.

Top Bottom