• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benkrebs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    My girlfriend gave me a hard time when I recently bought my first legit pocket knife, a Kershaw Skyline. I was riding my motorcycle with her yesterday on US36 and the grip came loose, meaning I could not manipulate the throttle. I used my knife to unscrew the endcap and pull the grip off, saving us from a dire predicament. Needless to say, I got the last laugh. :rockwoot:

benkrebs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    To be fair to her, I have never carried one regularly before since I never had the need before. I still win this time though ;)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The reason I asked is that it just doesn't compute with me that anyone would give you grief over a pocket knife.

(And it only slightly less computes that you, as a male, have attained an age where you can read/write/type/participate on the Internet, in a firearms forum no less, without previously carrying a pocket knife!?) I guess things are different these days.

Nonetheless, glad you were able to demonstrate the utility to her, of one of man's oldest and most useful tools. :yesway:

I like to remind people that it's almost impossible go through a single day in their lives without reaping the benefits on an edged tool directly or indirectly.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    The reason I asked is that it just doesn't compute with me that anyone would give you grief over a pocket knife.

(And it only slightly less computes that you, as a male, have attained an age where you can read/write/type/participate on the Internet, in a firearms forum no less, without previously carrying a pocket knife!?) I guess things are different these days.

Nonetheless, glad you were able to demonstrate the utility to her, of one of man's oldest and most useful tools.

I agree, I've been carrying some kind of pocket knife since I was 10 or 11!

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    :twocents::twocents:My Mother gave me a pocket knife when I was seven and I've had one with me ever since. I don't believe that owning or carrying a knife or gun is any measure of a man. But I do maintain that a good knife is a life essential tool for everyone. To not have a knife on my person would make me feel only half dressed.
    No I don't understand young people either.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I carry a pocket knife everyday, but I can't honestly remember the last time I've "needed" it. I still carry it though, because you just never know...

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I got a bunch of crap from the other half when I started carrying it... that was until she saw how often I use it.

She even needs it from time to time!!!

rjhans53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    before the age of muti tools, I carried a pocket knife everywhere, even on the airlines when I flew, I was getting on a plane once and one of the security guards questioned it, the other guard said you never knew but I might need it to fix the plane, (that was a buck with a 3" blade). I grew up with a knife, and the reason I don't carry one now is that my muti tool has 2 blades. I use them for everything from peeling apples to cleaning under my finger nails.:):

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't carry a "pocket" knife... its on a pouch on my belt, but its a <$15 Kobalt brand with a straight blade and box cutter. Lifetime warranty, haven't had a problem when I've used it. Lent it to someone and they broke the tip off. Went to lowe's and they replaced it no hassle.

I use it for stuff like this all the time. Can't imagine not having it.

benkrebs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Nonetheless, glad you were able to demonstrate the utility to her, of one of man's oldest and most useful tools. :yesway:

I like to remind people that it's almost impossible go through a single day in their lives without reaping the benefits on an edged tool directly or indirectly.

I live in a suburban area and I've never really had a use for one. I couldn't have one in school without getting in trouble and I'm not a real "outdoor type". Anyway, I think she only gave me grief because it was $30 and she secretly wishes I would use it to buy dinner for her :rolleyes:

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I can remember somewhat lengthy periods where I didn't carry a knife, but once I started it seemed like I used the thing all the time. Only recently did I upgrade to a decent quality knife (Thanks Brad) but I've carried something for the past 8-10 years now. After having kids approx 4 yrs ago, it's amazing now how much I use my knife on something for them.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I always carry a pocket knife (usually more than one) no matter where I am, country or city.
    I always have been since I was in highschool.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I live in a suburban area and I've never really had a use for one. I couldn't have one in school without getting in trouble and I'm not a real "outdoor type". Anyway, I think she only gave me grief because it was $30 and she secretly wishes I would use it to buy dinner for her :rolleyes:

You probably hit on the reason right there. Don't take any of this too seriously btw, us old codgers are just givin' ya a little ribbin'. Back in my dad's day the boys took their shotguns to school; hunted while walking to/from, and during the day just leaned them in the corner. Now, public-schooled children can't carry a pen knife . . .

Don't get me started on the topic of how the publik skrewls are turning out little nanny-state-dependent-comrades. That'd be a different thread.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You probably hit on the reason right there. Don't take any of this too seriously btw, us old codgers are just givin' ya a little ribbin'. Back in my dad's day the boys took their shotguns to school; hunted while walking to/from, and during the day just leaned them in the corner. Now, public-schooled children can't carry a pen knife . . .

Don't get me started on the topic of how the publik skrewls are turning out little nanny-state-dependent-comrades. That'd be a different thread.

I never had a problem carrying a knife in schools.
    It was against the rules to do so but teachers knew we had them and it was not a big deal.
    It was not so long ago (im in my 20's) but not in the USA.
    A couple times in middleschool a teacher asked if anyone in the class had a knife because he needed it to open something.
    I pulled a folding knife and gave it to the teacher, he used it and gave it to me without saying anything but "thanks".
    Same thing in highschool, I pulled an auto knife a couple of times in class to do some work in front of the teacher.
    The teacher never got scared or reported me or other people having knives.
    In college I had a butterly knife (a pair actually to work my tricks bewteen classes).
    The teacher asked if anyone had a knife to fix the door of the class.
    I pulled my butterly knife, opened it with a quick move and gave it to the teacher.He didnt say anything bad about it.
    But just after the class a girl told me "You are dangerous" lol, she thought people carrying knife were dangerous.

Top Bottom