• ...and so much more!
  • rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Low weight trumps power for everyday for me. I can take advantage of the handling that low weight improves more often than I can power from a V8.

My wife’s Buick has the biggest motor and the most power of the three we own, it has a whopping 260hp from its 2.0 Turbo. My Abarth and Miata combined might make it 280HP. :laugh:

You have an Abarth? :thumbsup: Cool little car but I wouldn't want to maintain it.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You have an Abarth? :thumbsup: Cool little car but I wouldn't want to maintain it.

Thanks! I quite enjoy it. Great for daily city driving.

I’ve had it 3 years and put 22,XXX on it so far. The only expense has been routine maintenance and replacing the Pirelli tires that were shot after 10,000 miles. Hated those tires, hard and not as sticky as the short life would lead one to expect.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have been in denial about my clutch slipping for the past year or so.
    Only every once in a while, but mechanic confirmed what I suspected.
    I was puzzled as to how it could be worn out when I have friends with 160k miles on their S2000 and the TRACK them!!!
    Only thing I can figure out since mine is a "work" car & doesn't get much "spirited" driving is that I've owned the car from 9k miles to now over 90k miles and it has mostly been city driving.
    Still, I'm surprised. And no, I don't let my foot "rest" on the clutch peddle, as do some with that bad habit. :nono:

Honda wanted $1900 and another Honda place wanted $2300.
    Totally outrageous, but if you want Honda S2000 parts and not aftermarket, you pay dearly for them, and of course, Honda charges about $135/hour.
    I found a guy recommended by a manager at one of the Honda dealerships, who recommended someone he knew that used to work for them (after talking with him and he realized I wasn't going to pay that much.
    He had opened up his own shop and I took it to him.
    While I was at it, I got the bucket in the left rear axle replaced, b/c it gets scored with use (S2000 weakness), and will cause a vibration under hard VTEC acceleration (which the reason for having said VTEC high revving engine :), that, and driving the "twisties.")

All said and done, I got $4000 of work that Honda quoted me, done for $1500, and he even did some extra work that Honda would have charged me $100s more.
    Now I'll be able to go to the Oct. Brown County Drive like in the past, but I've not been able to go the past couple of years.
    It will be nice to drive it as God intended again. :lmfao:

Picks of clutch & flywheel for you gear-heads:
    h2HWWc5.jpg

w3PGlGn.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'd say you got your life out them. Must feel nice to have a new clutch!

It was a pleasure driving the S2000 home from Avon.
    The clutch was like water (smoother than silk).
    There was a "burr/ball" on the clutch slave cylinder, where it pushes into the clutch fork, which gets bigger over time that had to sanded off.
    That is why when pushing in the clutch it would occasionally "stick" a little.

Post up the name of the shop. Always interested to hear of a good quality mechanic...

Jeff Dodson
    Dodson Automotive
    2192 N Avon Avenue

317-362-5774

He had a bigger garage off-site for some time, but now just works out of his shop at his home.
    In his yard is an antique pickup truck with the name of his business on the side.
    He charges $70/hr., lots better than Honda's $135.

I know he has connections to Hare Honda in Avon.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Before & after pics.
    Last Friday at a 6 am Men's Bible Study a friend's daughter with her Jeep Wrangler backed into my "baby."
    She pulled into the driveway & parked in front of the garage, & I was parked in front of his boat.
    She didn't pay attention that I was parked there when she backed out.
    Fortunately I have still been able to drive it.
    I could have parked in the grass: lesson learned.

Before:
    M8ccTRZ.jpg
    gCl3WFn.jpg

After:
    zvEfNMG.jpg

DX6xWZg.jpg

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    That sucks, but it looks like she'll live another day in the end. Did it take out the hood too? Looks like she may have stopped just in time. Looks like she got lucky to miss the door too.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That sucks, but it looks like she'll live another day in the end. Did it take out the hood too? Looks like she may have stopped just in time. Looks like she got lucky to miss the door too.

That's what I focused on: it was only the fender, in my amateur opinion.
    I was grateful I could drive away in it and have been to the range twice & my usual drives through the country daily to get out of the house.
    I followed up with my insurance company (Erie) today, since everyone was off work Friday.
    I'm just waiting for their insurance to contact me, if they don't by Wednesday Erie said they will contact them to get the ball rolling.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    That's what I focused on: it was only the fender, in my amateur opinion.
    I was grateful I could drive away in it and have been to the range twice & my usual drives through the country daily to get out of the house.
    I followed up with my insurance company (Erie) today, since everyone was off work Friday.
    I'm just waiting for their insurance to contact me, if they don't by Wednesday Erie said they will contact them to get the ball rolling.

My amateur opinion agrees with yours. If she had to pick one place to punch it with a vehicle that high, she hit it pretty much exactly perfectly. She somehow missed the door, the wheel, and the hood. I wouldn't be happy either, but it's looking pretty cosmetic from here. The way it pulled the metal it doesn't even look like it tweaked the firewall or cowl.

Take good pics of it in the shop if you can. From what I've seen, the values on those cars just keep going up and up and if you ever sell it on the buyer will for sure be relieved to see that the recorded accident was literally just a fender-bender.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My amateur opinion agrees with yours. If she had to pick one place to punch it with a vehicle that high, she hit it pretty much exactly perfectly. She somehow missed the door, the wheel, and the hood. I wouldn't be happy either, but it's looking pretty cosmetic from here. The way it pulled the metal it doesn't even look like it tweaked the firewall or cowl.

Take good pics of it in the shop if you can. From what I've seen, the values on those cars just keep going up and up and if you ever sell it on the buyer will for sure be relieved to see that the recorded accident was literally just a fender-bender.

Agreed! :thumbsup:
    I haven't given it much thought or lost any sleep over it, just gone on with my day.
    I feel better with you articulating it though! :)

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Agreed! :thumbsup:
    I haven't given it much thought or lost any sleep over it, just gone on with my day.
    I feel better with you articulating it though! :)

S2Ks are cool cars even with a little bit of a love tap. Just lean up against it right there, take new pics, and it's like it never happened. ;)

Good chance to get that supercharger put on it that you should have been meaning to get put on it too. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    S2Ks are cool cars even with a little bit of a love tap. Just lean up against it right there, take new pics, and it's like it never happened. ;)

Good chance to get that supercharger put on it that you should have been meaning to get put on it too. :laugh:

Not interested in supercharger or turbo.
    Friends that have done that don't even bother with the 2nd S2000 they own.
    But, I wouldn't mind doing the 4.77 gearing in the pumpkin, but, I should have done it 10 yrs. ago.
    Even though if you do it right & upgrade the entire pumpkin, not just the 4.77 gear, it's only about a $2000 upgrade, but I don't need to drop another second off my 0-60 time at this point in my life. :fogey:
    I enjoy winding out to 8200 rpms in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gear, and am content. :rockwoot:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    ...but I don't need to drop another second off my 0-60 time at this point in my life.

Since I was just starting to like you I'm going to forget you said that.

I've heard mixed results about boosting them. Seems unless you're trying to turn one into the drag car it wasn't born to be, it's not that big of a ROI like it would be on a Miata that needs the power. I'm not as familiar with the gearing change, but if it's that big of a difference, especially with a motor that loves to rev anyhow, that would be a hard one for me to turn down.

What's the stock gearing?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Since I was just starting to like you I'm going to forget you said that.
    I've heard mixed results about boosting them. Seems unless you're trying to turn one into the drag car it wasn't born to be, it's not that big of a ROI like it would be on a Miata that needs the power. I'm not as familiar with the gearing change, but if it's that big of a difference, especially with a motor that loves to rev anyhow, that would be a hard one for me to turn down.
    What's the stock gearing?

I had a friend in the car club (S2KCA) that dropped 10s of thousands of dollars into his S2000 & drove it for 20 yrs.
    He said after he sold it to a friend & took up another hobby, that if he had to do it all over again, he'd just drive it stock, as God intended. :laugh:

Gearing to a 4.77 is loosely like taking everything down 1 gear.
    I used to do the same thing to the MCs that I had, replacing the front sprocket sprocket with one with 1 less tooth (or was it 2?).
    It was like gearing it down 1000 rpms: gained quickness/power & took off the top end, which I didn't care about speed, but just the acceleration.

Stock gearing is the 4:10.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I had a friend in the car club (S2KCA) that dropped 10s of thousands of dollars into his S2000 & drove it for 20 yrs.
    He said after he sold it to a friend & took up another hobby, that if he had to do it all over again, he'd just drive it stock, as God intended. :laugh:

Gearing to a 4.77 is loosely like taking everything down 1 gear.
    I used to do the same thing to the MCs that I had, replacing the front sprocket sprocket with one with 1 less tooth (or was it 2?).
    It was like gearing it down 1000 rpms: gained quickness/power & took off the top end, which I didn't care about speed, but just the acceleration.

Stock gearing is the 4:10.

LOL... I own what I consider to be the poster child for "leave it stock" or "it's now a race car". I have a Fox Mustang... From the factory it's a fun car that is what it is, but it's pretty well balanced in terms of durability and capability. It's not that fast, but not that slow, the brakes aren't that good, but not that bad, etc, etc, and the stuff lives a decently long life.

It's when you start effecting the balance that things start going haywire. Add 100hp, start blowing out transmissions. Put it on sticky tires, start ripping the suspension out of the chassis, and on it goes. It's a fine line to walk and I can respect just "stock" being an answer. That's why the only real modification on my Jeep is tires. There's a little more wiggle room on Wranglers to turn this or that "up", but not much. I just don't want to get into all of that with it.

4:10 to 4.77 is a decent jump. I'd have to drive one stock to see what I really felt about it, but in my mind in a car with a normal power band, that sounds like from 3.08s to 3.73s and I'd do that every day and twice on Sundays. So... Count me in the bad influence camp. I mean... It's gonna be in the shop anyhow and you already said you wanted to do it. If it does truly take a full second off the 0-60, then how could you not? :)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    LOL... I own what I consider to be the poster child for "leave it stock" or "it's now a race car". I have a Fox Mustang... From the factory it's a fun car that is what it is, but it's pretty well balanced in terms of durability and capability. It's not that fast, but not that slow, the brakes aren't that good, but not that bad, etc, etc, and the stuff lives a decently long life.

It's when you start effecting the balance that things start going haywire. Add 100hp, start blowing out transmissions. Put it on sticky tires, start ripping the suspension out of the chassis, and on it goes. It's a fine line to walk and I can respect just "stock" being an answer. That's why the only real modification on my Jeep is tires. There's a little more wiggle room on Wranglers to turn this or that "up", but not much. I just don't want to get into all of that with it.

4:10 to 4.77 is a decent jump. I'd have to drive one stock to see what I really felt about it, but in my mind in a car with a normal power band, that sounds like from 3.08s to 3.73s and I'd do that every day and twice on Sundays. So... Count me in the bad influence camp. I mean... It's gonna be in the shop anyhow and you already said you wanted to do it. If it does truly take a full second off the 0-60, then how could you not? :)

Some only go to a 4.54 (if memory serves), which some say is the way it should have been geared from the factory.
    I don't remember anymore if the 4.77 took a second off, maybe a hair more, but it's been too long since I've read such details.

How could I not? If I was younger, it would be more compelling, not as alluring to me now.
    Many others have done it & while it is fun for the moment, I'm not that much of a gearhead to get addicted to it.
    My normal use for the S2000 was a year-round work car (winter wheels/tires) & never went anywhere much with it, except for drives in the Club once or twice per year.
    Outside of getting on the expressway or out on a straight stretch in a paved country road, I had no place to "sport around" in my daily routines.
    I worked 2 jobs always, & this car took the place of having a MC & a car for work: my wife seemed to think I might live longer. :)
    I saw others that I knew that had done it, but didn't bother to do it on the 2nd one.
    It's a "been there, done that, sort of thing.
    I have a close friend (60 yrs. old) who has a 2015 supercharged Vette & my own daughter (40 yrs. old) has a 2015 stock Vette, so I get to have a little fun. :dunno:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Some only go to a 4.54 (if memory serves), which some say is the way it should have been geared from the factory.
    I don't remember anymore if the 4.77 took a second off, maybe a hair more, but it's been too long since I've read such details.

How could I not? If I was younger, it would be more compelling, not as alluring to me now.
    Many others have done it & while it is fun for the moment, I'm not that much of a gearhead to get addicted to it.
    My normal use for the S2000 was a year-round work car (winter wheels/tires) & never went anywhere much with it, except for drives in the Club once or twice per year.
    Outside of getting on the expressway or out on a straight stretch in a paved country road, I had no place to "sport around" in my daily routines.
    I worked 2 jobs always, & this car took the place of having a MC & a car for work: my wife seemed to think I might live longer. :)
    I saw others that I knew that had done it, but didn't bother to do it on the 2nd one.
    It's a "been there, done that, sort of thing.
    I have a close friend (60 yrs. old) who has a 2015 supercharged Vette & my own daughter (40 yrs. old) has a 2015 stock Vette, so I get to have a little fun. :dunno:

Usually when the crowd talks about gears as how it should have came from the factory, that's a sign for me to drop one notch lower. So... Sounds like I'd be in the 4.77 camp. BUT... I understand where you're coming from. You basically just want the end all be all of a Civic with a drop top, and I can respect that. If you're gonna do the whole daily Honda thing, you picked a monster of a platform for it.

Sounds like I need to start applying pressure to your daughter's Vette next. I just turned 41 and I'd absolutely be looking for a procharger for that thing and it sounds like you know why. Is she also too old for that too? ;)

If she's single enough I'd take a crack at the install for fun just because I want to work on a C7, yet do not desire to lay the cash out for one. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Usually when the crowd talks about gears as how it should have came from the factory, that's a sign for me to drop one notch lower. So... Sounds like I'd be in the 4.77 camp. BUT... I understand where you're coming from. You basically just want the end all be all of a Civic with a drop top, and I can respect that. If you're gonna do the whole daily Honda thing, you picked a monster of a platform for it.

Sounds like I need to start applying pressure to your daughter's Vette next. I just turned 41 and I'd absolutely be looking for a procharger for that thing and it sounds like you know why. Is she also too old for that too? ;)

If she's single enough I'd take a crack at the install for fun just because I want to work on a C7, yet do not desire to lay the cash out for one. :laugh:

The priority was to have a convertible.
    I previously had two Honda del sols, one had the Vtec engine, which was a blast for such a light car.
    With the full sized trunk, I miss that about the del sol.
    I had waited 20 yrs. to get a Miata, but when the time came, I ended up with the S2000: yes it was overkill, but only a little.
    Saying I basically just wanted the end all be all of a Civic with a drop top is hilarious: not much a a MC replacement!
    I knew friends that drove the S2000 year-round in Canada, so I knew with snow tires it would do fine in our winters, but it is just a car in the winter, and it's not until the top comes down & I can grab some Vtec that the car replaces the MC.

Top Bottom