• ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    The priority was to have a convertible.
    I previously had two Honda del sols, one had the Vtec engine, which was a blast for such a light car.
    With the full sized trunk, I miss that about the del sol.
    I had waited 20 yrs. to get a Miata, but when the time came, I ended up with the S2000: yes it was overkill, but only a little.
    Saying I basically just wanted the end all be all of a Civic with a drop top is hilarious: not much a a MC replacement!
    I knew friends that drove the S2000 year-round in Canada, so I knew with snow tires it would do fine in our winters, but it is just a car in the winter, and it's not until the top comes down & I can grab some Vtec that the car replaces the MC.

I genuinely am impressed that it does well in the snow. Even with snow tires, that's still a pretty low, light weight, car with pretty wide tires for what it is.

Awesome for you, man! I've always had fantasies of driving a "summer" car year round, but never had the guts to do it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had waited 20 yrs. to get a Miata, but when the time came, I ended up with the S2000: yes it was overkill, but only a little.

You made the right move in my opinion. I bought the Miata. I drove the **** out of it and it was fun for awhile but at the end of the day, it was one of the slowest cars on the road. After a couple years, I got bored with it.

I considered turbo or supercharging it. Even dropping a V8 in it, but I just didn't want to pour that much money into that platform. I figured by the time I was done, I could have just sold it and bought a Scat Pack Challenger or something.:)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Guessing you already have a shop picked out to take it to, but you should consider Diamond Collision in Avon. Allen is the man on both gunsmithing and auto body repair, and I would not send my vehicles anywhere else for auto body repair. We have 4 vehicles as I have 2 college age kids and Allen has been great to work with over the years on various needs, and has handled insurance masterfully. He's also a forum advertiser.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It was a pleasure driving the S2000 home from Avon.
    The clutch was like water (smoother than silk).
    There was a "burr/ball" on the clutch slave cylinder, where it pushes into the clutch fork, which gets bigger over time that had to sanded off.
    That is why when pushing in the clutch it would occasionally "stick" a little.

Jeff Dodson
    Dodson Automotive
    2192 N Avon Avenue

317-362-5774

He had a bigger garage off-site for some time, but now just works out of his shop at his home.
    In his yard is an antique pickup truck with the name of his business on the side.
    He charges $70/hr., lots better than Honda's $135.

I know he has connections to Hare Honda in Avon.

Just seeing this. I'll have to keep him in mind for needs on my daughter's Pilot. I generally use Raymond's in Plainfield and they have been great, but admittedly are not the cheapest either.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I genuinely am impressed that it does well in the snow.
    Even with snow tires, that's still a pretty low, light weight, car with pretty wide tires for what it is.
    Awesome for you, man! I've always had fantasies of driving a "summer" car year round, but never had the guts to do it.

Maybe it has something to do with its balance: a perfect 50:50.
    I read stories about guys in Canada when they got off night shift there, they would have to plow through a foot of snow (or more) & I was amazed.
    I tried 1" of snow with All-Season tires & learned my lesson to not wait until the 1st snow to put on the snow tires.

You made the right move in my opinion. I bought the Miata.
    I drove the **** out of it and it was fun for awhile but at the end of the day, it was one of the slowest cars on the road. After a couple years, I got bored with it.
    I considered turbo or supercharging it. Even dropping a V8 in it, but I just didn't want to pour that much money into that platform.
    I figured by the time I was done, I could have just sold it and bought a Scat Pack Challenger or something.:)

Never been sorry.
    I got to experience "one of the 10 best sports cars" on the cheap ($18.5k back in 2010, plus another $3500 for a hardtop for winter).
    I think I'd be able to sell it for a quick $16k b/c they have held their value (before this accident).
    Mine has a new clutch & rear end bucket (driver's side wears b/c of torque).
    Like my son said before he bought his S2000, and we drove everything that was out there from a Mustang, Z4, Nissan 370, Mini-Cooper & others: "Dad, it's just like the Miata except there's no Vtec."
    Actually, there is a member here who had one (or his Dad) that had a V-8 in it.

Guessing you already have a shop picked out to take it to, but you should consider Diamond Collision in Avon.
    Allen is the man on both gunsmithing and auto body repair, and I would not send my vehicles anywhere else for auto body repair.
    We have 4 vehicles as I have 2 college age kids and Allen has been great to work with over the years on various needs, and has handled insurance masterfully.
    He's also a forum advertiser.

You are the 2nd person to recommend that shop to me.
    It is twice the distance from where I live now in Wanmaker than to Honda in Castleton where I took my last issue with the family car when wife got side-swiped in the Corolla.
    But, b/c of personal recommendations & his reputation with the details with a gun, I can well imagine that in his body shop he is masterful as well.
    Does he own the shop or work there? Just curious.

I'll see if there are any parameters on where I can take the car for work (not been contacted by the other's insurance yet).

Just seeing this. I'll have to keep him in mind for needs on my daughter's Pilot.
    I generally use Raymond's in Plainfield and they have been great, but admittedly are not the cheapest either.

For a moment, I thought you were recommending Jeff Dodson & I thought that was the same place I had my clutch & bucket work done!
    It was the manager at Hare that recommended me to him when he realized I wasn't going to pay $3000 for a clutch job.
    I have a friend in Cleveland I was going to drive & get it done there for a reasonable price (expert in the Club on S2000.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You are the 2nd person to recommend that shop to me.
    It is twice the distance from where I live now in Wanmaker than to Honda in Castleton where I took my last issue with the family car when wife got side-swiped in the Corolla.
    But, b/c of personal recommendations & his reputation with the details with a gun, I can well imagine that in his body shop he is masterful as well.
    Does he own the shop or work there? Just curious.

I'll see if there are any parameters on where I can take the car for work (not been contacted by the other's insurance yet).

Allen's the owner. Diamond has been there for years, and they do excellent work. You should be able to take your vehicle to any shop you want, they may just want to see multiple quotes (though I've always had Allen work directly with the insurance companies and has always been great). He does a great job all around. Check out his sub forum here and you will see many folks who have recommended him highly (including me). It takes a big concern off your shoulders when during a stressful time when you know exactly where the vehicle will be going and that Allen and his team will take excellent care of you. I don't give recommendations lightly, but always highly praise Allen and Diamond.

Diamond Collision | Auto Body Avon IN

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I've got one that's stacked up right now sitting Fort Wayne and I've been half afraid to send it to a shop, and drop considerable money having it repaired (and some rust repaired), due to bad experiences in the past.

So... If I'm reading this right, we have an INGO member who is a master gun smith and a master body man, and his bodyshop is in the Indy area? If so, I need to have a chat with the man and see if he's interested in my problems.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Allen's the owner. Diamond has been there for years, and they do excellent work. You should be able to take your vehicle to any shop you want, they may just want to see multiple quotes (though I've always had Allen work directly with the insurance companies and has always been great). He does a great job all around. Check out his sub forum here and you will see many folks who have recommended him highly (including me). It takes a big concern off your shoulders when during a stressful time when you know exactly where the vehicle will be going and that Allen and his team will take excellent care of you. I don't give recommendations lightly, but always highly praise Allen and Diamond.

thanks for the tip, Web!
    I will definitely pursue him.
    When the insurance company contacts me I’ll have his address and phone number and everything lined up and insist I get to take it there.
    not the first time you’ve given me excellent advice, Web!
    Appreciate it!
    4a9ab596-cb55-4136-9539-03793bd5a7c1
    ✅

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    thanks for the tip, Web!
    I will definitely pursue him.
    When the insurance company contacts me I’ll have his address and phone number and everything lined up and insist I get to take it there.
    not the first time you’ve given me excellent advice, Web!
    Appreciate it!
    4a9ab596-cb55-4136-9539-03793bd5a7c1
    ✅

Most welcome.

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    Here is a Honda S600 just like ours from back in 1974 in Okinawa Japan. It is the grandpa of the S2000. Total delight to drive. Like the world's fastest go-kart. Even at 5'10" and only 150 lbs I had to scrunch down inside. I could hang my right hand out the passenger window without stretching it outwards.

Honda_S600_Coupe.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Here is a Honda S600 just like ours from back in 1974 in Okinawa Japan. It is the grandpa of the S2000. Total delight to drive. Like the world's fastest go-kart. Even at 5'10" and only 150 lbs I had to scrunch down inside. I could hang my right hand out the passenger window without stretching it outwards.

View attachment 88596
    YES! I've read about those in threads in my national S2KCA Honda S2000 car club.
    And, I understand there is a smaller type of version of the S2000 in Japan, perhaps the S660?
    I remember reading of something that seems interesting, but don't remember what it was called.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Progressive finally called me today, after waiting since last Friday for them to contact me.
    I had my insurance (Erie) call them Wednesday.
    Progressive's man knew of Diamond Collision, even though Diamond is not on their "list" of approved shops.
    Someone who had some Camaro work done on a panel had been referred there & he thought they were a top shop.

I called Diamond & talked with Katelyn & then John (their appraiser).
    Just a matter of waiting for me to get word from Progressive to drop it off & pick up a rental (next week, I assume).

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Progressive finally called me today, after waiting since last Friday for them to contact me.
    I had my insurance (Erie) call them Wednesday.
    Progressive's man knew of Diamond Collision, even though Diamond is not on their "list" of approved shops.
    Someone who had some Camaro work done on a panel had been referred there & he thought they were a top shop.

I called Diamond & talked with Katelyn & then John (their appraiser).
    Just a matter of waiting for me to get word from Progressive to drop it off & pick up a rental (next week, I assume).

Good deal. I've worked with John on more than a few things. Once the car is in, they usually post pics daily once work is underway etc. I've had cars in for everything from hail damage, to minor to more major collision work (some with mechanical involved, others just body panels) on various vehicles. All turned out great. They have never done me wrong on anything.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My daughter has always had manual convertibles once she was established with a good job.
    I taught her to drive a manual on a 1979 MG convertible, which she drove during H.S.

She had an Infinity manual convertible that was so smooth (compared to my Honda S2000 roadster which was much more visceral, then had a 2015 Corvette, which she sold after a year for more than what she paid (soaring prices of used cars benefit).

She now has an 2019 (I think) Infinity Q60S with 20k miles, that doesn't come in convertible & she settled for an automatic this round.
    It is a twin-turbo, 400 hp, 350 torque, which is pleasantly spunky, but not anything like my friend Tom's Corvette that had a supercharger, 650 hp, which he sold after 3 yrs for more than what he paid for it: crazy.

Being a good daughter, she left the keys on the island b/c she knew I'd be up hours before anyone else, haha!
    I wanted to make sure I took it out before the rains came today.
    Twin-turbos & the rain don't mix, haha!

But, front.jpg rear.jpg front left corner.jpg right.jpg front left corner.jpg rear corner wEmblems.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Infiniti's are just good looking cars. That one is even the proper color! :cool:
    Interestingly enough, only the red "sport" came with the 400 hp.
    To get the color red with Infinity, you have to get the red color to get the top trim, or so my daughter told me.
    Seems odd to me, but it must work for them.
    As an old auction hound, we called the color red on a car "retail red" b/c it enhances it's ability to sell.

Top Bottom