• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 311thewiser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Valpo
    My first handgun was a hi point .40. Don'( flame me but i really love the gun. 400 rounds and 4 different brands of ammo thru it with no problems. But even tho i like the gun and its reliable i am a realist and understand that a zinc slide will only last so long. So i am in the market for a new gun that will last. Here are my choices so far: ruger p95, taurus pt92, and stoeger couger. I am leaning toward the couger cause i may want to start carrying. It will mostly be a range/self defense gun. Anyone have experience that could lend some expertise on these guns and where in northwest indiana i can find the best deal? Thanks fellas....

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Based on your desire for a gun that will last and the guns that you're looking at, my advice would be to save up just a bit more and go for a Glock, M&P or XD. That is unless you're set on a DA/SA setup (in that case look at a PX4 Storm). I think I paid $460 for my M&P.

Also, since this is to be a carry gun, you might consider looking at some single stack 9's as well. Double stack grips are not as easy to conceal when the weather gets warmer and the clothes get lighter.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    I carry a little explorer bag with me where ever i go. i can pretty much keep any size of gun in it. Of the guns you suggested the Taurus 92 without a doubt is what i would go with. Thats a hell of a gun.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Of the 3, I only have experience with one (sort of), the Ruger P95. I had a P89 and it was a great gun, I really enjoyed shooting it. But it was BIG and HEAVY.

My opinion, if you're looking for a range gun/carry gun, I don't think you could go wrong with a compact version of a full size gun such as PX4 Storm Compact, Glock 19, etc... These would still be comfortable to shoot, accurate, yet more comfortable to carry. :twocents:

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    From the choices you listed, I would probably pick the Ruger.. even though I hate their ergonomics. I don't know anything about the Cougar, and the PT92 is supposed to be a good gun.

But I would really, really save some more money and buy a used Glock 19. They come up in the classifieds here even, from time to time.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    No experience with the above-mentioned, but I shopped A LOT before purchasing the XD9SC. Got a great price at Plainfield Shooting Supplies too! While they can be a bit clunky, I have gotten used to it. I would recommend it to anyone.

Foxfire

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Seymour
    Take your time. You have a handgun for defence and all the SHTF stuff, we on here fantisize about.
    Keep saving and try out other peoples guns. Even rent them at a range and shoot'm. Then get the one that keeps you awake at night, regardless of price (just save longer).

BTW: I have to say Sig P226

Hope this helps

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've had the PT-92 and the Beretta cougar and liked the cougar better for accuracy and function. It was a little big for my hand though and I have big hands. I ended up trading it for a CZ-75 which is one of the best guns I've ever shot and not much more expensive.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    In general . . .

For a range/self-defense (concealed?) gun, I'd recommend one of the "mid-size" 9mms (some mfg will call this their mid-size model, others may call it their compact model).

The Glock 19 is very popular for the use you're describing, but many other mfg make a similarly sized 9mm.

My suggestion would be to start with the G19, put the specs into a spreadsheet, and then shop around the other mfg sites (Ruger, SIG, S&W, Springfield, FN, H&K, Beretta, etc.) and put their analagous handguns in the spreadsheet to get a feel for what's available, and how they compare (on paper at least). Don't pay any attention to what the mfgs call them in terms of "compact," "sub-compact," etc. Just look a the numbers. I'd also factor in aftermarket support (i.e. holsters, parts, etc.).

Then, and this is important, look around at the local shops to see what fits your hand best. Manipulate the candidates. What's comfortable, etc., and go from there.

More specifically . . .

My experience with several friends' Tauri have really turned me off to Taurus. Some run great, too many don't IMO.

Stoeger is one of the few mfg I don't have any experience with so I can't say.

I've got nothing bad to say about the P95. In fact, it's a really good value right now. However, some of the other current designs are a bit more "svelte," and for carry small differences in physical attributes have a bigger impact that one might initially think. For some folks the P95 works well and it's generally reliable and durable.

The Glock 19 and the S&W M&P compact 9 should be on your short list to consider.

I'd recommend something with a barrel length of at least 3.5-ish inches. That would remove the XD9sc (3") from my list, FWIW.

Last edited:

311thewiser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Valpo
    All this info is great! I have shot the baretta 92 in the navy and have held the couger at bass pro here in portage. I know the pt92 gun i would love to have but maybe too big to carry. The couger is the right size and fits just right in my hand and is a baretta design which i love. As far as the ruger i am going off reviews from forums like this and price. I am gonna go to blythes in valpo and see if i can shoot all three to make up my mind.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    I would say to try out a few if possible and get what fits your hand and YOU the best! All of the weapons listed in other threads are gtg. You should also look at a Sig Pro 2022 or a P250 also!

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    I would say the S&W Sigma Series. You can pick one up new for $300 and used for around $200-$250. Most people here hate this gun and i am sure i will get flamed for suggesting it but it is a great gun after you remove a spring from the trigger assembly the trigger pull really smooths out.

Knuckle Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    NWI
    P95DC is my nightstand pistola. I purchased it from a relative who used this one as a regular range gun. I've put many different brands of ammo through it, many types of reloads, CCI shot shell, Wolf russian (dirty), WWB, Fed, all kinds; including different kinds of JHP. this is the gun I have put the most rounds through and not a single failure. She's a little bulky, but conceals decently with in the waste belt holster. FYI, there are some with a safety, mine is DA/SA, DC (decock) only no saftey. Good luck on your journey...... :yesway:

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    All this info is great! I have shot the baretta 92 in the navy and have held the couger at bass pro here in portage. I know the pt92 gun i would love to have but maybe too big to carry. The couger is the right size and fits just right in my hand and is a baretta design which i love. As far as the ruger i am going off reviews from forums like this and price. I am gonna go to blythes in valpo and see if i can shoot all three to make up my mind.

Maybe I'm nitpicking here, but the Cougar is a Stoeger design, which was bought out by Beretta. Not a Beretta design.

Top Bottom