• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    If your selection was the last gun you could ever afford to buy, I think you might look at it a little differently. If SHTF does ever occur......the era of affordable handguns will be over. In fact the era of affordable anything will be over. Whatever you buy, you may be stuck with for a very long time. I highly suggest doing as somebody else mentioned and save a little more and buy a 'great' gun. There's no substitute for quality. A good gun will last as long as you do and won't self-destruct from routine use (Can you say 'zinc slide'?) Forget your budget.....forget your timeframe(within reason) and hardest of all, try to break the habit of disregarding certain firearms because of whatever price range they happen to be in.

Your choice of firearm will never be so important as when there's some character on the other end of your barrel who is bent on taking your life. You may have only one trigger pull available. A good quality gun will fire every time, and at that time, the price you paid for the gun will be of no concern.......unless it fails.

Brian S.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Toto, IN
    Once again no love for the HK. ;)

P30! Good-looking, accurate, tough, reliable, feels perfect in the hand.

Of course, they also come with the HK price but they are worth every penny IMO.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    I ended up trading it for a CZ-75 which is one of the best guns I've ever shot and not much more expensive.
    +2

First of all I recommend handling as many pistols as you can and shooting as many as you can. Pick the one that works for YOU. Also do not be afraid to spend a little more on a quality weapon.

With that being said I love the CZ 75 and shoot it the best out of any handgun I have had. I have had and have extensively shot multiple 9mm's; Glock 19, XD, Sig 228, HK P30, Barrett 92. With that I still like my CZ75 best. I traded my HK P30 for the SS CZ75 I have now. A base CZ75 is not much more than the other pistols you mentioned and they are just as quality as Glock or any of the others. Again CZ works best for ME. All the other guns listed are great and I really like Glocks simplicity.

One other thing to think about if you are wanting this pistol for SHTF is availability of magazines and replacement parts. I would venture to say that they would be lots of Glock stuff around.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    p95 is a fun, big, bulky, heavy gun. If you only wanting for range and protection wheel guns are great, but considering you might carry go with something of a single stack nature, Ruger LC9 if it fits your budget, Keltec PF9 if the LC9 is more $ than you want to spend.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The Cougar's are a really good gun for the money. The PT92 is also a good gun, but a tad on the big side. The P95 is also on the big side, and would make a good club.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Ruger P95 is a really good gun, I had one and sold it, for no paticular reason, just what I do. I read where someone recommended a Sig P250, excellent choice, I took one on a trade, I have had a lot of fun with that gun. I would buy another P250 in a heart beat, they are not an exspensive gun and can easily be converted to different sizes and calibers for a fairly reasonable cost.

OS3-USN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Franklin, IN
    I have a Ruger P95 and love it. I have shot several hundred rounds through it without a problem. It is currently the only pistol I own so it is the one I carry. It is a little bulky to me for EDC, but it's not too bad. It is easy to take apart and clean. A friend has the Ruger SR9 which is less bulky and the mag holds two more rounds than my P95. If I was starting over I would probably go with the SR9 for EDC and likely will switch in the future.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Ruger P95 is a really good gun, I had one and sold it, for no paticular reason, just what I do. I read where someone recommended a Sig P250, excellent choice, I took one on a trade, I have had a lot of fun with that gun. I would buy another P250 in a heart beat, they are not an exspensive gun and can easily be converted to different sizes and calibers for a fairly reasonable cost.

I believe the Sig P250 also has different sized back-straps for different sized hands too.

A friend of mine has a P95. I was impressed with the way it handled and fired. Great gun.....but being a heavily biased Sig owner, I would have to suggest the Sig P250. :)

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    P250 doesnt have different backstraps it has different size "grip module" which is the entire lower polymer part of the gun. Comes in small,med,large in subcompact,compact,full size.

ag563

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Delphi, Indiana
    I have a ruger p94 that I like, nice gun at a good price. I also have the new ruger LC9, its really easy to carry. I don't think you can go wrong with a 9mm Ruger.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Based solely on the choices and usages you outlined, I'd pick th Ruger P95. Plainfield Shooting Supplies has them new for under $330. I own 4 of them and we've run approx 4500 rounds total thru the 4 of them without an issue, Ruger reliability is a huge plus as well as coming with two 15 rd mags.

That said, if it was MY money, I'd spend a little more and buy a Glock 17. The Ruger is a great pistol but does not lend itself to CC as well as the Glock does. YMMV.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    S&W MP9

I bought one after the first of the year and absolutely love it. I have put at least 1500 rounds through it and have had zero problems. It has eaten anything I fed it, domestic or import ammo. They can be had for around $500.

I chose the 9mm version because the ammo is cheap and readily available. Someone has 9mm on sale almost every week.

Only problem is that its a great home & range gun but a little big for concealed carry. Weight isn't the problem as much as the size. It's fine with winter clothes and coats, but isn't gonna get it through the summer clothes.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    ........Only problem is that its a great home & range gun but a little big for concealed carry. Weight isn't the problem as much as the size. It's fine with winter clothes and coats, but isn't gonna get it through the summer clothes.

Have you tried an IWB holster? I thought the same thing of my Sig 229 until I got a Crossbreed Supertuck

Bruno8pnk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2010
    Sorry guys - I carry the beretta 92 which I like very much, fits my hand like a glove, point and shoot. The PX4 maybe another one to look at in compact.

Cheapshot101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Of the three list guns listed I believe the pt92 is a great choice. I have sent lots of rounds down range through one and they shoot great. I have had zero reliability issues with it and with a good holster it can be carried just fine. Nothing bad to say about the other two from prior experience on function. I due think the ruger feels a little more bulky and have never attempted to carry the other so can not give any good input on that aspect.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Maybe I'm nitpicking here, but the Cougar is a Stoeger design, which was bought out by Beretta. Not a Beretta design.

Stoeger was purchased by Berreta 11 years ago. Further, close examination of the Stoeger Cougar clearly shows its Berreta lineage.

This makes perfect sense because Berreta transferred the design and marketing and distribution rights for the gun FKA as the Berreta Cougar to Stoeger several years ago.

The Cougar clearly is a Betta design.

Top Bottom