• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you took an oath and it is not still valid it never was.

For some oaths, yes. Others are for a specific purpose that is not eternal.

Easy example- I do not have to follow the orders of the president or any military officers. That oath was never intended to be an obligation 25 years after I became a civilian again.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Speaking of oaths:
    Former Secretary of the Navy Richard Spencer said:
    I cannot in good conscience obey an order that I believe violates the sacred oath I took in the presence of my family, my flag and my faith to support and defend the Constitution of the United States.

The President deserves and should expect a Secretary of the Navy who is aligned with his vision for the future of our force generation and sustainment.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wonder what was such an illegal order for him to obey that was unconstitutional?
    Maybe he forgot about the part of his oath to obey orders of the President.
    Get these insubordinate snowflakes out of the military

You might want to have a clearer idea of who you're talking about before you call someone a snowflake. He is not that.

Rather, he saw POTUS undermining (in his learned view) the discipline necessary for an effective fighting force by getting involved in very narrow personnel matters. So he did the honorable thing and resigned.

This is what INGO members have said they wanted from top officials who couldn't do what Trump told them to do. So here's a guy doing that.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    You might want to have a clearer idea of who you're talking about before you call someone a snowflake. He is not that.

Rather, he saw POTUS undermining (in his learned view) the discipline necessary for an effective fighting force by getting involved in very narrow personnel matters. So he did the honorable thing and resigned.

This is what INGO members have said they wanted from top officials who couldn't do what Trump told them to do. So here's a guy doing that.
    No he got fired.
    And he resisted the presidents orders first.
    Maybe he wasnt a "snowflake" traitor but there are plenty that are. That little weasel Lt. Colonel in the impeachment hearings comes to mind.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    No he got fired.
    Maybe he wasnt a "snowflake" traitor but there are plenty that are. That little weasel Lt. Colonel in the impeachment hearings comes to mind.

Submitted his resignation by request, ok. Either way, he took a principled stand, right?

So riddle me this - since your oath is clearly important - would you have resisted an order that you believed undermined the military?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No he got fired.

The DoD say he didn't follow the chain of command. He was upset because he did not like the idea of the president undermining the UCMJ. It is admittedly the president's full right to do what he did; allowing the SEAL to retire with his trident, and avoid military discipline. However, you're sure to ruffle some feathers amongst military brass, when a civilian takes away the autonomy of the military to dish out discipline to the soldiers under their command.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The DoD say he didn't follow the chain of command. He was upset because he did not like the idea of the president undermining the UCMJ. It is admittedly the president's full right to do what he did; allowing the SEAL to retire with his trident, and avoid military discipline. However, you're sure to ruffle some feathers amongst military brass, when a civilian takes away the autonomy of the military to dish out discipline to the soldiers under their command.

"Ruffling feathers" and thinking something is a bad idea or is unwise is a far cry from refusing to follow an illegal order.

I agree with T.Lex that he took a principled stance. I have no issue with that, but let's not turn this into something it isn't. There was no illegal order. He didn't think he could serve under a President who exercised his legitimate authority as Commander in Chief in this fashion, so he resigned. Fine. That's his right.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    "Ruffling feathers" and thinking something is a bad idea or is unwise is a far cry from refusing to follow an illegal order.

I agree with T.Lex that he took a principled stance. I have no issue with that, but let's not turn this into something it isn't. There was no illegal order. He didn't think he could serve under a President who exercised his legitimate authority as Commander in Chief in this fashion, so he resigned. Fine. That's his right.

Was this meant in reference to my post? I did not say there was anything, nor do I believe, illegal within this instance.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Was this meant in reference to my post? I did not say there was anything, nor do I believe, illegal within this instance.

Call a riff on your post, referring to other posts. I understood what you said.

Spencer himself seemed to want to couch this in those terms with the pearl clutching: "I cannot in good conscience obey...."

We get it, you don't want to answer to Trump and you want to portray a disagreement about policy as you climbing up onto the cross.

As for obeying an order I didn't think was wise....I was an enlisted guy....that was my life.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Submitted his resignation by request, ok. Either way, he took a principled stand, right?

So riddle me this - since your oath is clearly important - would you have resisted an order that you believed undermined the military?

You mean like ones diluting the requirements for SOF so women can qualify or requiring the military to accept transgendered soldiers?

I'd like to see how this guy would get dragged if his 'principled stand' was against those progressively cherished ideals, and can you argue that those don't 'undermine the military' far more? Where were the protests and resignations when Obama commuted the sentence of that Manning person? Didn't that undermine the UCMJ?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You mean like ones diluting the requirements for SOF so women can qualify or requiring the military to accept transgendered soldiers?

I'd like to see how this guy would get dragged if his 'principled stand' was against those progressively cherished ideals, and can you argue that those don't 'undermine the military' far more? Where were the protests and resignations when Obama commuted the sentence of that Manning person? Didn't that undermine the UCMJ?

That's not the same at all. The president can set the overall direction of the service branches. In theory if he simply changed the respective code within the UCMJ so that no other soldier would ever be liable for the same transgressions, then he could avoid criticisms. In this instance, he made an exception for one soldier.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's not the same at all. The president can set the overall direction of the service branches. In theory if he simply changed the respective code within the UCMJ so that no other soldier would ever be liable for the same transgressions, then he could avoid criticisms. In this instance, he made an exception for one soldier.

It's almost like he had the power to pardon crimes or something.

Top Bottom