• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I love watching all of the deer and other critters I see in my yard, but this doe has everyone in the neighborhood watching out for her. :)

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Last doe I shot had 3 legs like that, missing the front right leg. Thought I was doing it a favor putting it down, but when I field dressed it it had a very full stomach and seemed to be doing good. She was tasty though! Those critters are tough!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Of course she's pregnant. Can get away from the bucks as quick as the 4 legged models.

She always has twins or triplets. We figure she is at least 13 so I find it amazing that she still looks so good and is still raising those babies. The first time she was seen with her leg injured/dangling was in 2004 when the neighbors first moved here. She was adult size then so was at least a year or two old at that point. I'm sure the boys have no trouble catching her as she does move slower than the others, but she manages just fine.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Update! Gimpy has been seen again. After not seeing her since late last spring with her twins, I assumed she did not make it through the winter. I had a call Monday from a neighbor letting me know that Gimpy and her twins were in his yard Sunday night. The old girl is still around and at least 14 years old now.

:rockwoot:

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    Mom, thanks for the update. And thank you for pics and background story. Nature has a way of showing us some of their amazing contributions. Sad that most just don't get to see it.
    NVG

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'd encourage you to share her story and history with some of the people in the article or our very own dnr. I'd like to think that they would be interested in her story.

I did message our district DNR last year on FB, and they chatted with me a bit about her. I may try contacting some of the people associated with the article though. She does seem to be a contender for some sort of longevity award. :):

Top Bottom