• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    After not seeing Gimpy since Spring, I was sure she had perished or fallen prey to the coyotes. The neighbor stopped by the other day to tell us he had seen her crossing the road into our property a few days earlier! I cannot believe the old girl is still doing well.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Kind of makes one "root" for the old girl out of respect for her ability to have survived this long. Hopefully she will die of old age VS hunters or coyotes.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Kind of makes one "root" for the old girl out of respect for her ability to have survived this long. Hopefully she will die of old age VS hunters or coyotes.

That has always been my worry that someone would feel sorry for her and take her out, but she gets around quite well and has obviously thrived in spite of her missing leg. She is amazing...I had no idea a deer would live that long in Indiana in the wild. I suppose living in farm country where there are plenty of fields to forage helps.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    She really is a neat old girl. She is very smart and cautious. The other deer just trot right into the yard for their corn and water. She hangs back and watches so I have to put some corn out farther for her when I know she is around and hope the others don't steal it all before she finds it.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    She really is a neat old girl. She is very smart and cautious. The other deer just trot right into the yard for their corn and water. She hangs back and watches so I have to put some corn out farther for her when I know she is around and hope the others don't steal it all before she finds it.

That is REALLY cool that you do that for her. :thumbsup: Makes one wish they could somehow protect her and give her a life of leisure for the rest of her days.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

What exactly is preferable about slowly starving to death vs. being killed by a hunter or even coyotes?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I do not believe I ever mentioned "slowly starving to death"? Not sure where you got that from?

Slowly starving to death is exactly what happens to animals that "die of old age". Their teeth get worn down to the point that they can no longer eat, then the starve to death slowly.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Slowly starving to death is exactly what happens to animals that "die of old age". Their teeth get worn down to the point that they can no longer eat, then the starve to death slowly.

I was just generalizing...okay...whatever...you win. I am not a deer biologist.

Last edited:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills

My dogs are animals, and many "died of old age" WITHOUT slowly starving to death, and their teeth were fine. Where do you get your information?

Top Bottom