• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If I am wrong in this then set me straight but did he not go into the Verboten land of his own accord...???

Why. To what end.

I get D. Rodman going there as he and Kim are besties.

Yep, it was his decision to go. Lots or people somehow think it's "cool" to visit.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It's sad and unfortunate. No parent should have to bury their child. But, as I understand it from other occurrences here in the United States, if he didn't break the law, he wouldn't have been killed. Does that not apply here?

Fair argument. It's not like the world doesn't know how the criminal justice system works in N. Korea. He stole a revolutionary banner, and got caught.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's sad and unfortunate. No parent should have to bury their child. But, as I understand it from other occurrences here in the United States, if he didn't break the law, he wouldn't have been killed. Does that not apply here?

Most results have multiple causes. Not breaking the law is the first step to reducing your chances of being in dire circumstances, but it doesn't justify unwarranted violence that occurs later, despite what those who equate blood lust to justice may think.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    wasn't he on a tour group? Supposedly china sets the groups up as a layover in N Korea

Yes.And the tour operator says they will no longer allow American citizens to visit the DPRK.
    I'm sure you can find other companies that will take Americans though.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...weighs-change-after-warmbier-death/103023202/

So it looks his nationality was the main reason behind the way he was treated.

Recent cases of severe unwarranted consequences for American detainees in North Korea means we now consider the risk to Americans visiting North Korea to be too high and as such we can no longer accept Americans travelling on US passports for tours to North Korea.

Despite what you may hear, for most nationalities, North Korea is probably one of the safest places on Earth to visit provided you follow the laws as provided by our documentation and pre-tour briefings.

http://www.youngpioneertours.com/north-korea-faq/

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Young folks don't really understand the evil that is communism. Apparently the mass murders, false imprisonment, gulags and torture perpetrated upon people both now and in decades past isn't taught in school. Having actually seen it first hand, has left a strong impression on me. Young folks do stupid things. Unfortunately when they do them in a communist country, the criminals there (the leadership) use it as a political tool and will destroy the person's soul and body without blinking an eye.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Young folks don't really understand the evil that is communism. Apparently the mass murders, false imprisonment, gulags and torture perpetrated upon people both now and in decades past isn't taught in school. Having actually seen it first hand, has left a strong impression on me. Young folks do stupid things. Unfortunately when they do them in a communist country, the criminals there (the leadership) use it as a political tool and will destroy the person's soul and body without blinking an eye.

They might understand by visiting the only true communist country left on the planet.And have a better appreciation of their freedom at home.

Of course by visiting you're also supporting the regime with your money.

But I get why it can be fascinating (yet risky) to visit.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

Yes, but he stole a sign, or something, and received 17 years at "hard labor" IIRC .....

That would be a fine, over here, or at most, a misdemeanor .....

I am not a LEO, or a lawyer .....

Last edited:

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Yes, but he stole a sign, or something, and recieved 17 years at "hrd labor" IIRC .....

That would be a fine, over here, or at most, a misdeameanor .....

I am not a LEO, or a lawyer .....

How about some political theory, then (I'm not an expert, but I hack at it): Assigning the penalty for any act that is considered repugnant or damaging to a society is a policy matter for that society to address. Here, in Indiana, stealing the poster (IF he even did steal the poster) would be misdemeanor theft. We recognize the importance of property rights, but also recognize the proportionality that goes with a minor theft. Also, stealing a poster in America, even a political poster, is viewed as an offense against the owner of the poster (and, to some theoretical extent, against the "peace and dignity" of the state, which is representing the people).

On the other hand, when a repressive regime has to use force to keep itself in power, the penalty for an act which threatens the apparatus of power must be dealt with harshly, and thus, they assign a much greater penalty.

That is, again, assuming he even did the theft; he may have been snatched up to be used as a bargaining chip by a reclusive communist country which has been in a state of conflict with the US, and, in many ways, the larger world for more than half a century.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

It is unfortunate that the world today seems to have forgotten the once well-documented horrors of communism.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Most results have multiple causes. Not breaking the law is the first step to reducing your chances of being in dire circumstances, but it doesn't justify unwarranted violence that occurs later, despite what those who equate blood lust to justice may think.

I'm with you on this thinking but I've seen a lot of crap on this rock that doesn't think this way.
    Like it or not people MUST be aware it's not a Unicorn and Rainbow world as they wish it could be. Maybe in a few hundred more years if mankind hasn't blown itself to bits or germ'd itself to death.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep, it was his decision to go. Lots or people somehow think it's "cool" to visit.

After hearing why people go, I call it "Mt Everest for lazy folks". It was described by a commentator as the main reason people go is because so few have been, there is a cool factor to be able to say at a dinner party "So last year while I was in Pyongyang...". I coined the term because like Everest, people do it because the number of people that have been is very small. They can be part of one of these unofficial cliques without exerting any physical effort.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I spent two years of my life in Korea no desire to return.
    South Koreans are nice humble people but not weak.
    North Koreans are NUTS!
    We were often blasted with propaganda from over the "hill"

Come over GI we have food and you can be free of being forced into military service. It's a paradise here!

SURE!

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    wait what

He's either bluffing to try and get China to be more helpful, or things are about to happen. I don't think anyone in the public at large has any idea at this point...which is a good thing if you think about it.

Edited to add: Trump will be with the new Ambassador to China tomorrow. Interesting timing.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    After hearing why people go, I call it "Mt Everest for lazy folks". It was described by a commentator as the main reason people go is because so few have been, there is a cool factor to be able to say at a dinner party "So last year while I was in Pyongyang...". I coined the term because like Everest, people do it because the number of people that have been is very small. They can be part of one of these unofficial cliques without exerting any physical effort.

That's actually pretty clever.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    He's either bluffing to try and get China to be more helpful, or things are about to happen. I don't think anyone in the public at large has any idea at this point...which is a good thing if you think about it.

Edited to add: Trump will be with the new Ambassador to China tomorrow. Interesting timing.
    Things are NOT business as usual with NK. Like it or not.

Top Bottom