• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Surprised the military, even as highly trained as SEALs are, going with a sidearm with no manual safety.

The Army has been using Glock 19s in their Special Ops team training for a while. I think they have an option of using the Glock or the M9 when deployed, but I know for a fact that they train with both stateside. I spoke with one Green Beret that was just finishing up a pistol course and he said they start the course with a choice of the Glock or M9 and use a brand new pistol. By the end of the course, the gun has many thousands of rounds through it with some days seeing more than a thousand alone.

I'm guessing that the military is fine with the Glock for specialized troops, just not for the regular soldiers.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm guessing that the military is fine with the Glock for specialized troops, just not for the regular soldiers.

That seems ironic given that the Austrian Army originally had it developed as a general issue service weapon, not the special gun for the special few.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The G19 is like an AKM to me. I want one to have around, because mags and ammo are plentiful. They are both very reliable, but clunky and with less than ideal ergonomics. I prefer other platforms, but it's nice to have around for familiarization, and in case of unforeseen circumstances. But it looks like I won't be buying one soon. The good news is, I'd like to have another 226, and they just might be more available soon.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    All your base are belong to us.

AllYourBaseAnimated.gif

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I actually THOUGHT INGO was at the forefront of "breaking news"? This came out weeks ago, and isn't surprising! JSOC, and SOCOM, have, for AT LEAST 10 YEARS, issued the 19. We train ANA on the 19, we trained In Kosovo on the 19, operators all over the world have been training and using the 19 for YEARS! It is time tested, battle proven, and, MOST IMPORTANT, ALREADY IN INVENTORY. This saves .gov probably millions in procurement and testing costs. For NSW, they get an overt, or covert weapon all in one. HELL, EVEN MARSOC WENT 19! MARINES don't get **** until everyone else breaks it!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm not saying I agree with that, but it seems like the current military group think kind of thing.

I agree with the correctness of your observation. It just seems a little screwed up that it is happening when considered in those terms.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    So does this explain the battleship/Confederate grey Glocks????

I bet they still keep their Smith and Wesson 686's and 66's.....

I read that they finally retired the smith revolvers with hk 45c I think. But I also read that the 686 is pretty much perfect for sustained underwater assignments! So who knows, I have been following it on m4carbine.net. They're is a member there that is in nsw discussing the change.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Well damn Sig stock just took a hit lol. And on the Smith 686 and model 66's mentioned I am a big Richard Marcinko fan (guy who founded Seal Team 6). They used stainless model 66's for salt water work as they would not corrode and highly customized Beretta 92's initially. They actually found the slides on the 92's cracked under high round counts and stress so the team worked with Beretta to fix that issue and ended up with basically custom 92's. And as a side note most 6 guys carried custom Emerson knives with Earnest Emerson giving Marcinko a custom CQC-6 folder.

Then as we all know they used USP's and HK45's quite extensively as well in addition to the 226.

Top Bottom