• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    These so called "sobriety", "seat belt", etc "checkpoints" are nothing more than a pretext to go on visual search without probable cause fishing expeditions.

I remember a few years ago in the Lafayette Journal & Courier, an Indiana State Police officer admitted they catch at least as many drunk drivers by being mobile and looking out for impaired drivers.
    State v. Jarrod E. Gerschoffer

http://law.justia.com/cases/indiana/supreme-court/2002/03050201-rts.html

^^^Gives a little more insight to what make a checkpoint legal vs. illegal. I worked DUI enforcement for a few years and I am quite good at them. It is no surprise that roaming cars will net more DUI's than a checkpoint. INSC acknowledges that fact as well in their Gerschoffer decision. It's objective is deterrent, it's mostly PR.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I found this interesting from the IIHS website Sobriety Checkpoints page.
    Interesting, before every checkpoint, we had a meeting with the prosecutor that was going to be at the checkpoint that night. The prosecutor had to read the Gerschoffer ruling each time. They always made it 100% that avoiding the checkpoint was NOT reason to stop. They will have had to committed an actual traffic infraction to justify the stop. Not sure if Gerschoffer over ruled Snyder or if that was just Marion County Prosecutor's rule. I happen to agree with that, there needs to be a reason. If they are drunk, that I am sure they will forget to use a turn signal or something like that.

Last edited:

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    FIND ME THIS VIDEO ! ! ! !

A self-declared "Right-ist" and "Resistor" white dude, NOT ACLU-related, was on his way to work, in Texas I believe, and had to drive in from New Mexico. He was stopped by HLSA or ICE at a "Border Check-point" about 150 miles from the US/MX border. He stopped, showed license and ins., but would not pull over to have his vehicle inspected for some "You're the 13h car" crap, but asked, continually and politely: "... am I being detained? ... am I under arrest? ... am I free to go?" All the while recording the confrontation (as it became, by police actions.) THIS VIDEO-ENCOUNTER IS A TEXT-BOOK EXAMPLE OF WHAT TO DO AND HOW TO DO IT ! ! ! ! He was allowed (!) to go on his way. See if you can find it, PLEASE!! EBG

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So what is the LEGAL way to make a u-turn on a 2 lane road when you see the checkpoint down the road?

-Jedi

Well actually, U-turns are legal so long as there is not sign prohibiting it. However, you must be able to do so safely. BTW, you can turn off the road rather than U-turn. A requirement of a legal checkpoint is to have an "out" for traffic to avoid the checkpoint but the "chase car" will be near by to make sure you turn off legally.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edporch
    These so called "sobriety", "seat belt", etc "checkpoints" are nothing more than a pretext to go on visual search without probable cause fishing expeditions.

I remember a few years ago in the Lafayette Journal & Courier, an Indiana State Police officer admitted they catch at least as many drunk drivers by being mobile and looking out for impaired drivers.

You forgot revenue generation.

Good point.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    Solutions? Do people have to submit? What about the guys who refuse to exit the vehicle, continue to ask "am I being detained?", etc.?

ok .........the fact any time you are stop by the police you are being detained you may ask all you want .........if a officer tells you to exit the vehicle you must comply with the order given by the officer..... you must comply with a officer orders thats given to you ......... Again by law you can refuse to speak to the officer there nothing thats says you got to talk to him it's your 5 th amendment right... You can refuse some test the officer wants to preform you not knowing your rights is not his problem ..... there a difference in asking or stating what the officer would like to do then a direct order........ And yes in questioning and officer or detective can lie or deceive you and its all legal ..........

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    ok .........the fact any time you are stop by the police you are bring detained you may ask all you want .........if a officer tells you to exit the vehicle you must comply with the order given by the officer..... you must comply with a officer orders thats given to you .........again by law you can refuse to speak to the officer there nothing thats says you got to talk to him it's your 5 th amendment right... you can refuse some test the officer wants to preform you not knowing your rights is not his problem ..... there a difference in asking or stating what the officer would like to do then a direct order........ and yes in questioning and officer or detective can lie or deceive you and its all legal ..........

Could you reformat that with modern English punctation? No offense, but that's just painful to read.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    lol you can make fun of it all you want ......i had to relearn how to write from a IEd hit in 2007 ....no offense taken you not the first to complain or the last ....it is what it is...:D:D

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    State v. Jarrod E. Gerschoffer

http://law.justia.com/cases/indiana/supreme-court/2002/03050201-rts.html

^^^Gives a little more insight to what make a checkpoint legal vs. illegal. I worked DUI enforcement for a few years and I am quite good at them. It is no surprise that roaming cars will net more DUI's than a checkpoint. INSC acknowledges that fact as well in their Gerschoffer decision. It's objective is deterrent, it's mostly PR.
    Less deterrent and less hassle for the masses would be better IMO.

Thanks for sharing the view from behind the badge BTW. It is always interesting to read.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I will probably get flamed, but checkpoints are true Nazism! "But driving is a privilege," I am told. These are the roads on which I pay property taxes to keep in somewhat passable condition where I live. I think I should allowed to use them without harrassment under the 4th Amendment.

You can. Just not driving a vehicle. :)

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." - The 4th Amendment

We have the government our Founding Fathers fought and died to protect us from.

Revolution 2.012 Get involved! :patriot:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    lol you can make fun of it all you want ......i had to relearn how to write from a IEd hit in 2007 ....no offense taken you not the first to complain or the last ....it is what it is...:D:D

Not making fun at all. I would like to know what the message is, but not sure where one thought ends and the next begins.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    the message was clear sorry if you don't see it

please give it a rest i don't know why you feel the need to come at me the way you have am asking you to please stop the personal attacks ....sorry if i made a comment you don't like give it a rest:xmad:

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    A self-declared "Right-ist" and "Resistor" white dude, NOT ACLU-related, was on his way to work, in Texas I believe, and had to drive in from New Mexico. He was stopped by HLSA or ICE at a "Border Check-point" about 150 miles from the US/MX border. He stopped, showed license and ins., but would not pull over to have his vehicle inspected for some "You're the 13h car" crap, but asked, continually and politely: "... am I being detained? ... am I under arrest? ... am I free to go?" All the while recording the confrontation (as it became, by police actions.) THIS VIDEO-ENCOUNTER IS A TEXT-BOOK EXAMPLE OF WHAT TO DO AND HOW TO DO IT ! ! ! ! He was allowed (!) to go on his way. See if you can find it, PLEASE!! EBG
    you mean this one?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDLlEh0x2XA

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    the message was clear sorry if you don't see it

please give it a rest i don't know why you feel the need to come at me the way you have am asking you to please stop the personal attacks ....sorry if i made a comment you don't like give it a rest:xmad:

Sorry dude, Im not certain what you were saying either. :dunno: Hopefully, one day, you'll be able to convey to others, what seems perfectly clear to you. Best wishes on your continued recovery!

Top Bottom