• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Well we had four HIGHLY TRAINED PROFESSIONALS there and look how that turned out. Get someone with BALLS instead of COWARDS.

Absolutely. Either those 4 had NO business being LEOs or they had orders from higher up (incompetent sheriff?) Telling them to not go in. I can't imagine listening to shot after shot, knowing kids are dying, and doing nothing.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Well count me out of that. I do not believe that every govt employee should be allowed to carry a firearm, should they want, while working. At least not without massive oversight (and I hate govt involvement in most things). That's simply a society I would never ever want to be a part of, and I would certainly work hard in making sure such never came to pass.

I might be misinterpreting your statement, but you don't feel that a government employee should have the right to carry a firearm for self-defense while at work? Why? Because they might use it to intimidate someone? If they did, shouldn't they be terminated and held criminally liable just like anyone else?

When I read through this thread (and other related threads), there has been something nagging me about the call to "arm teachers". I'm not for "arming" anyone. Maybe this is semantics, but I think what has bothered me is that I don't believe we should be arming teachers, or trash collectors, or mail carriers. I think that we should be removing the barriers that keep school staff (as it relates to this discussion) from carrying if they so choose. Let's let the sheepdogs sheepdog. If the custodian wants to carry, he/she should be allowed to carry. If the physics teacher wants to carry, so be it. If the lunch lady decides to pack heat while cooking meat, more power to her.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I suspect tampering, foreign readers, or script voting is happening. No way that 84% of people are ok with teachers being human shields.

Anti-gun zealots say that 2A supporters are okay with dead children. That's absolutely wrong. We're absolutely NOT okay with dead children. We just disagree with their solutions.

Even if the number IS legitimately 84%, why should we think that the people who disagree with our solution must think that it's okay for teachers to be human shields?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I might be misinterpreting your statement, but you don't feel that a government employee should have the right to carry a firearm for self-defense while at work? Why? Because they might use it to intimidate someone? If they did, shouldn't they be terminated and held criminally liable just like anyone else?

When I read through this thread (and other related threads), there has been something nagging me about the call to "arm teachers". I'm not for "arming" anyone. Maybe this is semantics, but I think what has bothered me is that I don't believe we should be arming teachers, or trash collectors, or mail carriers. I think that we should be removing the barriers that keep school staff (as it relates to this discussion) from carrying if they so choose. Let's let the sheepdogs sheepdog. If the custodian wants to carry, he/she should be allowed to carry. If the physics teacher wants to carry, so be it. If the lunch lady decides to pack heat while cooking meat, more power to her.

Based solely on whether they want to or not? No, most certainly not, unless they are willing to allow a significant amount of intrusion into their personal lives. Does this person who is going to be around my kids: have seizures, ever been convicted of a crime, any reprimands from work, questionable affiliations, taken firearms training, depression, a history of poor decision making, etc, etc?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm ok with that. I got paddled in elementary school and I never forgot it. Principal called my mother and I guess asked if she was alright with me being paddled. She said let him have it and I'll be giving him some more when he gets home. And they both did

Parents signed a letter at the beginning of the school year, so it was open season. No calls needed.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Based solely on whether they want to or not? No, most certainly not, unless they are willing to allow a significant amount of intrusion into their personal lives. Does this person who is going to be around my kids: have seizures, ever been convicted of a crime, any reprimands from work, questionable affiliations, taken firearms training, depression, a history of poor decision making, etc, etc?

I guess I wasn't misinterpreting your statement. You didn't answer my question. Why should someone not have the right to carry a firearm for self defense because they work for the government? Since the context in this thread is school staff, I'm fine with narrowing down the context to only school staff, but I think the question is relevant to any government employee.

You provided a list of attributes that I assume you would want school staff in contact with your kids to have evaluated before working with your kids; only one is related to firearms. I would expect that a school system would vet many of these attributes before hiring and/or would be part of their ongoing evaluations.

I'm not sure I would pass muster to be on the same block as your children, let alone be in the same room as them, lol.

-- Seizures? Negative on that one
    -- Convicted of a crime? Never convicted! :):
    -- Reprimands from work? Not recent, but I have been told that I am a little more level-headed than I was even ten years ago.
    --
    Questionable affiliations? According to who?
    --
    Taken firearms training? Yes, but still need more!
    --
    Depression? Have a history of it, took medication for it for about 10 years, haven't for about 2 & all is well! So far. :shady:
    -- History of poor decision making? Again, according to who? I have made a number of pretty bad decisions throughout my adult life. If given the chance, I would certainly not repeat them, but I have definitely learned from them & become a better person for it.

I think I get your premise - I want someone to teach my children who is wise, responsible and honorable. I am not that person 100% of the time and I only know of 1 in history who can claim that title. At best, I have to trust the system that I put my children into is doing their part to vet the people they hire and providing proper oversight.

I don't see where any of these points makes the legal firearm possession more or less relevant.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I guess I wasn't misinterpreting your statement. You didn't answer my question. Why should someone not have the right to carry a firearm for self defense because they work for the government? Since the context in this thread is school staff, I'm fine with narrowing down the context to only school staff, but I think the question is relevant to any government employee.

You provided a list of attributes that I assume you would want school staff in contact with your kids to have evaluated before working with your kids; only one is related to firearms. I would expect that a school system would vet many of these attributes before hiring and/or would be part of their ongoing evaluations.

I'm not sure I would pass muster to be on the same block as your children, let alone be in the same room as them, lol.

-- Seizures? Negative on that one
    -- Convicted of a crime? Never convicted! :):
    -- Reprimands from work? Not recent, but I have been told that I am a little more level-headed than I was even ten years ago.
    --
    Questionable affiliations? According to who?
    --
    Taken firearms training? Yes, but still need more!
    --
    Depression? Have a history of it, took medication for it for about 10 years, haven't for about 2 & all is well! So far. :shady:
    -- History of poor decision making? Again, according to who? I have made a number of pretty bad decisions throughout my adult life. If given the chance, I would certainly not repeat them, but I have definitely learned from them & become a better person for it.

I think I get your premise - I want someone to teach my children who is wise, responsible and honorable. I am not that person 100% of the time and I only know of 1 in history who can claim that title. At best, I have to trust the system that I put my children into is doing their part to vet the people they hire and providing proper oversight.

I don't see where any of these points makes the legal firearm possession more or less relevant.

It doesn't... at least not when you're on your own time. When my children are required, by law, to be in your (as in teachers) company then it's relevant.

solarpimp

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Irvington
    3 adult American Citizens and 14 adolescent American Citizens lost their lives in part because the status quo in our society is to DEPRIVE our citizens of their 2nd Amendment rights in certain areas. The 2nd Amendment is not allowed in our schools. The 1st Amendment is disembodied as free speech is doted on and freedom of religion is scuttled in our schools.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers

I couldn't agree more. I just find it sad that the anti-gun crowd just assumes that if someone is carrying a firearm, they will surely use it to solve any and all disagreements they find themselves in. I mentioned to my boss one day that I have a gun locked up in my vehicle every day at work, and his face went pale. When I asked him why he found that alarming, he said, "Because you might get mad one day and run out and get it!" As if guns are my go-to solution to every interpersonal conflict in life or something. I just get so tired of all the hand-wringing from the sheeple herds.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Unless you set up your own bot, their bots have the advantage.

John224

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    239   0   1
    Apr 8, 2010
    West Indianapolis
    Polls are for strippers, if you carry and you happen to be a teacher, then, yes I agree. If you are a teacher, and do not carry, than no. I think it should be an individual thing.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Being a parent with a kid in school and seeing how many chances and little to no punishment they give little monster kids early in their school career. I'm not surprised at the bigger **** they have to deal with as they get older. Whoever has put together the discipline model that these schools follow was a pacifist ***** and it doesn't work.
    When I went to school I would have already been expelled for some of the things kids just get a verbal warning over now. The administrators do not want to deal with the problems. They pass the buck. They talk a big caring game and it's all bull ****.
    Schools are the problem to the school problem!

Top Bottom