Need advice for defense pistol./revolver.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    You could get a .327 Magnum. They shoot 4 calibers (possibly 32 ACP too). Load it with 32 S&W short for practice. There's virtually NO recoil using 32 S&W short. Up the power a little bit to 32 S&W long or even 32 H&R magnum. I don't think she would like full power .327 Magnum unless it's a heavy full steel pistol.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You could get a .327 Magnum. They shoot 4 calibers (possibly 32 ACP too). Load it with 32 S&W short for practice. There's virtually NO recoil using 32 S&W short. Up the power a little bit to 32 S&W long or even 32 H&R magnum. I don't think she would like full power .327 Magnum unless it's a heavy full steel pistol.

That's interesting I'll let her know about this as well.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I want to see all these 80+ new shooters with these revolvers you are all suggesting. I deliver pizza on the side, when I go the assisted living homes more than a few have me put the food on their tables because the have issues holding a bag of tacos and breadsticks... I'm going with most could not pull a double action trigger without pulling the barrel off target.

Now take a pistol that will literally burn and inject powder into your offhand if your form is bad. Then add hotish defense rounds. Then add the weight of a revolver that won't beat up a shooter.

Out of touch much?
    There are a few really solid 22lr semi auto pistols that are easy to use, light weight, and the TX has 17rds. And it's completely reliable with 1600 fps rounds.

I do not get the revolver obsession. It's nostalgia over function. Outside of big bore hunting pistols they are superseded completely by striker guns.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ggreen makes several good points. My 55 year old wife couldn't cycle the trigger on my Taurus 85CH until I did a trigger job on it.

Plus, I'd have to see and feel a "low recoil" .38 Special round on any revolver with a barrel in the 2" range. I'm from Missouri on a short barrel 38 being soft on recoil for an octogenarian.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I want to see all these 80+ new shooters with these revolvers you are all suggesting. I deliver pizza on the side, when I go the assisted living homes more than a few have me put the food on their tables because the have issues holding a bag of tacos and breadsticks... I'm going with most could not pull a double action trigger without pulling the barrel off target.

Now take a pistol that will literally burn and inject powder into your offhand if your form is bad. Then add hotish defense rounds. Then add the weight of a revolver that won't beat up a shooter.

Out of touch much?
    There are a few really solid 22lr semi auto pistols that are easy to use, light weight, and the TX has 17rds. And it's completely reliable with 1600 fps rounds.

I do not get the revolver obsession. It's nostalgia over function. Outside of big bore hunting pistols they are superseded completely by striker guns.
    As already mentioned, there are pros and cons of both revolvers and semiautos. Revolvers do not have as much of a learning curve and perform better under stress. However, they do require decent hand strength to pull the trigger and even to cock the hammer for SA. Semiautos have a lighter trigger pull but have more steps and more chances for confusion or malfunction. So Ggreen, there's really no need to be snippy. We have already covered all the ideas that you seem to think you are bringing to the table for the first time.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    As already mentioned, there are pros and cons of both revolvers and semiautos. Revolvers do not have as much of a learning curve and perform better under stress. However, they do require decent hand strength to pull the trigger and even to cock the hammer for SA. Semiautos have a lighter trigger pull but have more steps and more chances for confusion or malfunction. So Ggreen, there's really no need to be snippy. We have already covered all the ideas that you seem to think you are bringing to the table for the first time.

Revolvers are not malfunction free. Double action revolvers require as much of not more training to be proficient with than a striker fired pistol. Pulling a da trigger without pulling the barrel off target is not an "easy" feat.

There is no extra steps to a semi auto striker function compared to a da revolver. Aim, pull trigger.

And there is no snip here just conversation. How many 80+ persons can pull a da revolver trigger and stay accurate? I see plenty of young able bodied people that can't shoot them without pulling off target, myself included for a while. It takes more than a few range trips to use a revolver successfully. I'm guessing range trips aren't going to be in the books for most persons over 80, especially right now.

I just don't see a realistic argument to putting a center fired, short barrel, da, heavy framed revolver in a new shooters hands without a few weekends of training. Bear Mace would be a better option.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ggreen makes several good points. My 55 year old wife couldn't cycle the trigger on my Taurus 85CH until I did a trigger job on it.

Plus, I'd have to see and feel a "low recoil" .38 Special round on any revolver with a barrel in the 2" range. I'm from Missouri on a short barrel 38 being soft on recoil for an octogenarian.

Federal Gold Medal 38 special 148gr match wadcutters are very light on recoil. You should grab a box and let your wife try them out.

climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    Actually, I do not see the problem with a 22 LR revolver for an elderly person...minimal recoil and 8-10 rounds...I wouldn't like to have one staring at me! For any novice a revolver is much simpler to use than a semi-auto, IMO (the only thing it may need is a trigger job). Clearing a malfunction on a revolver simply involves pulling the trigger again, and if she is too weak to pull a double action trigger on a revolver, don't you think she may "limp wrist" a semi-auto and end up with ejection issues?! On a conventional revolver (not a Chiappa Rhino) it is difficult to burn ones hand especially since most novice shooters "cup" their support hand under their firing hand...if the shooter's form is that bad, a semi-auto isn't much less forgiving...it can result in slide/hammer bite on the shooting hand or malfunction from interference with the slide!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Very good points on revolver vs semi auto. Lotta folks think making the gun go bang is all that is needed. There is a lot more to it than that, including the responsibility to be able to make effective hits on target vs shooting AT a threat.

Another consideration, rarely discussed, is the mindset of the older person who wants to be armed for the first time in their recent lives;

Can they be safe to themselves and others? Are they capable of learning and practicing the four rules?

Do they understand the difference between a threat and being afraid? Will they shoot through the door?

Can they differentiate between a threat and anger?

Do they understand the responsibility of firearm ownership in relation to allowing others (grandkids, etc.) access to their firearm?

How mentally stable is the person looking to be armed? While on prescriptions? When off of them?

I have some older-ish friends who quite honestly I WILL NOT help arm. For various reasons these folks and those around them are better off with them unarmed.

One particular lady would likely have killed her husband by now, if I had helped her years ago when she first started talking about "getting a gun."

Another gent (not so old,) has numerous issues, including being a "won't learn" know-it-all in everything, a substance user/abuser and a liberal who has worked against our Second Amendment rights his whole life.

Also a lady who just cannot wrap herself around muzzle discipline. Even after years of discussion and chastising for pointing muzzles at everyone, including herself. She just won't get it. She is not capable of handling a firearm safely to herself or others. Won't even talk about where her trigger finger ALWAYS goes...

With the pandemic and rioting going on right now it is a scary time for all. In some cases "I'ma get a gun" might not be the answer?

Because we are gun folks that have studied and trained and practiced to be ready to defend ourselves, doesn't mean all others will. Because we can educate, doesn't mean that it's always the best idea to do it. :twocents:

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Federal Gold Medal 38 special 148gr match wadcutters are very light on recoil. ...

If you're set on a revolver, the wadcutters were my first thought for a lowish recoil load that will still penetrate adequately out of a snubby-length barrel.

That said, if my choice were 5 or 6 shots from a 38 spl revolver vs. 15 shots of 22LR from a .22 auto, frankly I'm not so sure I'd chose the revolver.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Federal Gold Medal 38 special 148gr match wadcutters are very light on recoil. You should grab a box and let your wife try them out.

Thanks! I'll pick up a box and try them out. But for me. I'm not in my 8th decade yet but I do appreciate an effective round that doesn't hurt in my Smith 442.:)

Someone else suggested I try Winchester 130 gr PDX. Have you ever shot those?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I have some older-ish friends who quite honestly I WILL NOT help arm. For various reasons these folks and those around them are better off with them unarmed.

Because we are gun folks that have studied and trained and practiced to be ready to defend ourselves, doesn't mean all others will. Because we can educate, doesn't mean that it's always the best idea to do it. :twocents:

I have experienced the same thoughts after I helped arm a fellow. I now regret that I did.

I now have a different approach to people when they start asking me about buying/owning a firearm.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    All great points. I now plan on going to see her and taking my Ruger LCRx and my Taurus tx22 down and let her see if she can handle them. That should eliminate a lot of unknowns. She plans on getting training so that should get her an edge.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    All great points. I now plan on going to see her and taking my Ruger LCRx and my Taurus tx22 down and let her see if she can handle them. That should eliminate a lot of unknowns. She plans on getting training so that should get her an edge.

Nice, I'm interested to hear the results.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    ....my son is 13yrs old, but very small for his age....not particularly good hand strength either....I bought him a Smith & Wesson M&P22 Compact about a year ago....he’s able to rack it fine, with absolutely no issues whatsoever....VERY low recoil....accurate as well....but more importantly, it’s been 100% reliable, and that’s with every type of ammo I’ve thrown at it....CCI Stingers, Golden Bucket, Winchester....EVERYTHING....there have been the occasional fail to fires, but they’ve all been ammo related, and even they have been rare....the slide is incredibly easy to manipulate, so a simple tap/rack/bang gets even ammo issues out of the way....I highly recommend it....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBv0ES8J0TC/?igshid=1u3j1itjn4gd

My son was 8 when he did this with a full size M&P 22. That pistol is rock solid.

[video=youtube_share;NXX1nveIDA8]http://youtu.be/NXX1nveIDA8[/video]

Top Bottom