Need advice for defense pistol./revolver.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Another last thought and I'll shut up.

I sent a graduating young man and his mother to a private training session with BFT some years back. Young man had applied for his LTCH and his single mom "already knew how to shoot," her snubby .38. :rolleyes:

Coach brought a variety of guns for the young man and his mother to shoot. These good friends of mine both came away better educated, way safer and ready to reevaluate their ideas on carry guns.

This was not terribly expensive to me and really was a great investment, giving me solid piece of mind that I had sent these long time friends down the right path.

I'm sure there are others that do this sort of thing. The folks I trust are BFT and ACT.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've got her talked into a 38 special revolver. I Told her they make light recoil rounds for them. I also told her i would pay for a trigger job if she needed a smoother lighter trigger. She accepted that on those terms.
    So now gentlemen what are your recommendations for a 38 special revolver 2-3" barrel for around $300.

[FONT=&amp]S&W 103039

[/FONT]
    jqSJrZp.jpg

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-bodyguard-38-no-laser

I've seen them go for the $300 region before. They're nifty with a pretty light trigger for a DA revolver.

Get federal wadcutters. It's a great defensive load and clocks in at the 700+/-fps range so it has cartoonishly light recoil and still does significant damage to the target.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fed...o-148-grain-match-wadcutter-gm38a-p-1187.aspx

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    People wear coats up here on the corn tundra. Gots the same clothing penetration problems as what Colt and Remington ran into, which is why they transitioned from round ball to pointy bullets for the their percussion revolvers.
    What's the good enough snubby HP (hoody piercing) round?

Too bad nobody makes an awl-some line of FMJ spire point ammo.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Another last thought and I'll shut up.

I sent a graduating young man and his mother to a private training session with BFT some years back. Young man had applied for his LTCH and his single mom "already knew how to shoot," her snubby .38. :rolleyes:

Coach brought a variety of guns for the young man and his mother to shoot. These good friends of mine both came away better educated, way safer and ready to reevaluate their ideas on carry guns.

This was not terribly expensive to me and really was a great investment, giving me solid piece of mind that I had sent these long time friends down the right path.

I'm sure there are others that do this sort of thing. The folks I trust are BFT and ACT.

+1

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    [FONT=&amp]S&W 103039

[/FONT]
    jqSJrZp.jpg

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-bodyguard-38-no-laser

I've seen them go for the $300 region before. They're nifty with a pretty light trigger for a DA revolver.

Get federal wadcutters. It's a great defensive load and clocks in at the 700+/-fps range so it has cartoonishly light recoil and still does significant damage to the target.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fed...o-148-grain-match-wadcutter-gm38a-p-1187.aspx

I've had them all, from the terrible 642 (recoil) to the better recoil of a Ruger LCR.
    In my limited experience, the Ruger LCR .357 with .38 sp. rounds was kinder in recoil & trigger than the Ruger .38 sp. recoil & trigger.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... In my limited experience, the Ruger .357 with .38 sp. rounds was kinder in recoil & trigger than the Ruger .38 sp. recoil & trigger.

Yeah, the 357 model LCR is 3.5 oz heavier than the 38 LCR - which is why some people get the 357 LCR and run 38s in it for lower felt recoil - the tradeoff being extra weight. No such thing as a free lunch.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I am 75 and carry a .32 ACP as my hands can't take .45 ACP or 9mm. The .32 is a good round for old hands. Recoil is lighter than .380 ACP and it does more damage for size than any of the larger bores. I have several different Rugers clambered in .32 H&R but they all seem to weigh a lot to carry but almost no recoil. I like the way a 1903 Colt fells, the Beretta 1935 seems smaller but shoots the same. I also have several small frame Smiths and Colts in .32 S&W Longs carried by police that are soft shooting and light. Most have a butter smooth action both single and double action. Reach is short enough that a small hand should be able to shoot easy. Stay away from the .32 Colt round as it uses a hell bullet. If you reload you can increase the rounds power and reload better bullets. Soft cast bullets work very well and what I have seen on coyotes they speak as good as the .45 ACP.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well guys I was able to see this young lady and I took several revolvers and pistols multiple calibers 22lr upto 9mm and 38 special to let her try out. She was unable to use any kind of firearm. She could not rack the slides nor had the strength to pull the trigger of my LCRX. She was disappointed to say the least.

Any suggestions on what she could use other than a firearm?

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Well guys I was able to see this young lady and I took several revolvers and pistols multiple calibers 22lr upto 9mm and 38 special to let her try out. She was unable to use any kind of firearm. She could not rack the slides nor had the strength to pull the trigger of my LCRX. She was disappointed to say the least.

At this point, I'd suggest that she focus on her observational and awareness skill set. Improve overall security of home. Other thoughts...

• Improve her overall fitness level. Even if that means walking for just a few minutes each day. Fit people are harder to kill/take advantage of
    • Keep the doors/windows locked
    • Garage door closed
    • Pay attention when in public (gain understanding of situational awareness levels...white, yellow, orange, red - see J. Cooper)
    • Don't invite strangers in the house
    • Set up a doorbell camera so she can interface with outsiders without compromising security.
    • Install outdoor lighting for night use...some motion activated and/or time-based
    • Perhaps set up a smart speaker (e.g. Alexa) with some emergency contacts so that she can issue a call for help if needed.
    • Install panic button that will sound indoor and outdoor alarm

Any self defense tool (e.g. pepper spray, gun, baton, etc.) could probably be easily used against her for the initiated. Better for her to learn all about early indicators of crime and how to avoid the situation all together. I highly recommend reading "Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Outdoor motion lights. Loud alarm systems. Camera security systems, possibly with auto call services. Air horn. Dogs.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I have helped several young and older shooters with revolvers and while not ideal they can use their trigger finger from BOTH hands to pull the revolver trigger. Most revolver trigger guards are big enough to accommodate two fingers at once. Again not ideal but it works for those that I worked with that couldn't reliability handle rhe trigger the conventional way.
    Some were even pretty accurate that way but all were excited just to be able to finally shoot the gun.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm wondering what technique she tried using to rack the slide? "Index finger/thumb" pinch strength isn't always the best so I tell people to try the "palm three finger squeeze - push with opposite hands" method.

[video=youtube_share;kbayNc6D9HY]http://youtu.be/kbayNc6D9HY[/video]

My next best suggestion would be a single action 22 WMR pistol. There are 12 round versions available. Extra rounds in case of a dud!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm wondering what technique she tried using to rack the slide? "Index finger/thumb" pinch strength isn't always the best so I tell people to try the "palm three finger squeeze - push with opposite hands" method.

[video=youtube_share;kbayNc6D9HY]http://youtu.be/kbayNc6D9HY[/video]

My next best suggestion would be a single action 22 WMR pistol. There are 12 round versions available. Extra rounds in case of a dud!

I had her try that also. She just doesn't have the hand strength.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Have her try a tip-up .22 or .32. My 83 year old lady friend loved her Beretta .32 tip-up. When she died her kids found it in her blue jean pocket. She could not rack the slide on auto's and most DA pulls today requires a jeep to help pull the trigger unless they are worked on by a smith. She could pull the trigger on my small framed S&W .32 but didn't like the fell in her hand.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Have her try a tip-up .22 or .32. My 83 year old lady friend loved her Beretta .32 tip-up.
    When she died her kids found it in her blue jean pocket.
    She could not rack the slide on auto's and most DA pulls today requires a jeep to help pull the trigger unless they are worked on by a smith.
    She could pull the trigger on my small framed S&W .32 but didn't like the fell in her hand.

The .32 acp is a good solution!
    I have had a dozen of the Beretta tip-up barrels, & kept one just because I like it so much.
    For a point & shoot close-quarter gun, they are more accurate than you'd think at 21'.

I would not recommend the .22LR.
    I've not had an issue with the .32 acp going bang, but can't say the same for the .22LR.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville

Not everyone is capable of proper usage of a firearm, just like not everyone is capable of safe driving. Sometimes self defense tools become detrimental to the user and those around them.

My wife has bad arthritis and cannot rack anything. She has dry fired a LCR357 and LCR22. The LCR22 she could not pull the trigger but on the 357 she did, barely, but she did. We were just talking today about "what if"; sort of like your lady friend; we need to look at other options. The heart is there but the coordination and strength is not.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Have her try a tip-up .22 or .32. My 83 year old lady friend loved her Beretta .32 tip-up. When she died her kids found it in her blue jean pocket. She could not rack the slide on auto's and most DA pulls today requires a jeep to help pull the trigger unless they are worked on by a smith. She could pull the trigger on my small framed S&W .32 but didn't like the fell in her hand.

That might work. Now where do you find a tip up now days?

Top Bottom