• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Out of curiosity then, roughly what % used a shotgun vs handgun (or rifle or other non-firearm like spray, baseball bat, etc) and how many of the non-shotgun users did lose and do you feel they wouldn't have if they had used a shotgun (or any firearm if they hadn't used one)?

I'm not in front of my stats, but maybe 10-15% use a shotgun. Rifles are the least common by a fair margin. Handguns the most by a large margin.

I hesitate to try and guess what would have happened had something been a bit different. I mean, some things are obvious. The guy who gets clubbed while trying to get a gun lock off his shotgun, for example. It's easy to say the outcome could have been different without a gun lock, but you still don't really know he would have won.

Shotguns hit harder, hit more often, and for whatever reason seem to be psychologically tougher to face. I say "seem to be" based on shotgun users get shot back at less often, even if they missed. It's possible random, though.

I will *always* default to a long gun if given the chance.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Careful, your real world facts might make the tacti-kids have a head implosion!?

BBI is my "go to" on "real world" scenarios....This is hard for me to admit...(:)) But dang it he is kind of smart when it comes to such things....I'll argue with him on anything but not when it comes to real world scenarios regarding firearm's in defensive use...He's done his homework and I hope some day he puts it all in a book.....

IMHO he is the natural successor of Massad Ayoob.....No B.S. and "just the facts..."

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I figured it wasn't too large a %.

Your second point begs the question of how to have secure yet quick access to your shotgun? I'd guess it's been discussed before, yet it seems relevant to this discussion. Unlike a handgun, you're not going to carry a shotgun around your house. So if you always leave it in your bedroom, what are the best methods to keep it from being stolen during breakin while you're not present yet you can still easily get to fast when needed? Something like a simplex-based long gun case you can bolt down? Or something like this wall lock (why do you need a key override on a manual simplex lock???)?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Your second point begs the question of how to have secure yet quick access to your shotgun? I'd guess it's been discussed before, yet it seems relevant to this discussion. Unlike a handgun, you're not going to carry a shotgun around your house. So if you always leave it in your bedroom, what are the best methods to keep it from being stolen during breakin while you're not present yet you can still easily get to fast when needed? Something like a simplex-based long gun case you can bolt down? Or something like this wall lock (why do you need a key override on a manual simplex lock???)?

I put my HD pieces in the safe if I leave and get them out when I am home. It is an effort but it is also the answer to your questions.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    in my home, a Moss 500 12ga is easily reached overhead, and reserve handguns in night tables with Surefire flashlights. you can mount lights on a SG very easy. Ebay has ton of listings under Shotgun Tactical Lights/ flashlights. You can even use some zipties or tape. You can get a rail mounted under barrel. I spent a few years as a Deputy Marshal and all the squad carried Shotguns. Rifles started to become more as active shooter reports around country. I would use an AR if I owned one, but I do have a couple of hunting shotguns, and short barreled riot type. #4, 00Buck, and Deer Slugs, all work and would not hesitate to use them all. Send the best if needed.
    My Wifey can shoot very well with a 4in M10 38spec. I prefer a Glock 19, or a G21. Both work. Good luck in your choices. I have mine.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    #4 shot is good for the 12 ga. Have you ever fired an AR pistol one handed? You need to try it before you buy it because it ain't as easy as it seems, especially if trying to use a light with other hand. Not saying it can't be done, just that it may be more challenging than you realize because there is a lot of weight out there on the end of that 10" barrel.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A question for the professionals, how often does a burglary escalate to a shootout after an alarm system has started sounding off. I would think this instance would be rare but don't know. Home invasions would be different and here I have also wondered what the percentage is that the invaders have been to the residence before.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I put my HD pieces in the safe if I leave and get them out when I am home. It is an effort but it is also the answer to your questions.
    I'll admit more effort than I'm willing to do every night. It would be one thing if the safe was in the bedroom closet, but it's in the basement and bedroom is on the top floor. And I know my wife would not do it if I were not home so I need a solution for the bedroom itself. Of course, I hadn't considered her using the shotgun but I'll need to see if she would prefer that over a 9mm. I just got her to shoot again after 20+ years but only .22 so far. I'm not going to push her.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    #4 shot is good for the 12 ga. Have you ever fired an AR pistol one handed? You need to try it before you buy it because it ain't as easy as it seems, especially if trying to use a light with other hand. Not saying it can't be done, just that it may be more challenging than you realize because there is a lot of weight out there on the end of that 10" barrel.

No I have not fired it one handed but that would be something that would be done a lot when it comes to training. Shooting while standing, kneeling, off hand and 1 handed(both hands) are just a few of the things that would been lots of range time to get good at. I also fully understand ideal would never be one handed but train for the worst and everything else is easy.

There is a lot of info to think about for sure. As it stand the pump will stay in place until I can really train up on any other firearm, might be something I start training and realize it won't work for me so stick with the pump.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A question for the professionals, how often does a burglary escalate to a shootout after an alarm system has started sounding off. I would think this instance would be rare but don't know. Home invasions would be different and here I have also wondered what the percentage is that the invaders have been to the residence before.

I can't think of one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I use an in wall security cabinet. Put the key in when I'm home, take it out when I leave.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    My wife has a Sig P320 with a light on her side of the closet. I usually just put my carry gun on top of my nightstand when I go to bed, with a flashlight next to it. I have an 870 tactical with an elzhetta mounted light in the safe. Thinking it may become another bedroom gun.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Of course I also have a 300BLK sbr with a light, aimpoint, and a suppressor, too. Had thought about making that a bedroom option. I may soon have more guns in the bedroom than the safe. Maybe I should just make my bedroom into a safe. Another INGO inspired epiphany!

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    3) Consider ways to reinforce the walls that would be in the line of fire.

At 13 and 16 your kids should be trainable. Determine your shooting angles and how the shots might over penetrate your kids rooms. Determine the dangerous places to avoid in their rooms and the safe places your kids should shelter in their rooms. Work out the signal and emphasize you will be eliminating the threat and they are not to leave the safe corner until you or mom come to get them.

Also think about the bad guys shooting angles and determine safe/dangerous places in your kids rooms.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Sorry if I missed it in a previous post... Personally prefer a shotgun over AR (or similar) for this application. Simpler to operate, less maintenance, fewer finicky parts, easier to recover from a malfunction, and less need to aim as precisely.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Sorry if I missed it in a previous post... Personally prefer a shotgun over AR (or similar) for this application. Simpler to operate, less maintenance, fewer finicky parts, easier to recover from a malfunction, and less need to aim as precisely.
    Respectfully, there are a few points in your statement which your experiences and those I've learned / experienced in classes disagree.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a P226 with light, on top of the nightstand. Extra mags in the top drawer. On the other side of that is my wooden gun cabinet, unlocked. It has 2 loaded 870s (00 buck). So they are about 6 feet from me when I get out of bed. I have some rifles in it as well, with mags lying next to the stocks, but obviously not my first grab in an emergency. It is just me and the wife here. If someone crashes the door in the middle of the night, overpenetration isn't my primary worry.

I can still shoot wild birds with a shotgun, including grouse. So I feel my chances are pretty good with a shotgun.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    In our home, I have a Glock 22 with night sights and light in a quick access handgun safe, for home defense. The Glock is loaded with Federal HST. Me and the wife also have our personal protection pieces in .380. Both loaded with Golden Sabers. Having children in the home I can not have loaded weapons unless locked up or directly in our control.

Top Bottom