• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    My 12 gauge is a fairly new addition. I have my ar pistol by the bed, because I have more confidence in my ability with it. More time with the 12 gauge may change that, time will tell.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    :twocents::twocents:IMO the choice of weapons is secondary to your plan of action. Like was said up thread, residential walls that are capable of stopping ammunition that's capable of stopping an assailant, just don't exist here. Pre plan your lanes of fire and your defensive positions of choice.

Harden your perimeter. Alarms are not that expensive. Furry alarms with teeth can be high maintenance but can detect trouble before an electronic one.

Unless your situation requires going down the hall to scoop up small children, a long gun is superior to any handgun.

My primary HD long gun is my 870 for it's stopping power. I'm not worried about limited mag size and speed of reloading because I'm betting that most thugs will decide that there's nothing in my home worth dying for.

My AR is in reserve in case the wheels really come off society (SHTF apocalypse/riot) or some gangsters want revenge and my 870 is in the evidence room.

My shotgun is staged across the bedroom in my 1st chosen defensive position. I have eye&electronic ear protection, flashlight, and shoulder holster with pistol/ammo at my night stand

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    I guess I find it funny that so many discount a shotgun due to it's "slow reloads". While in this thread where a INGOer introduced a study of 12,000 gunfights he says this........

Reloads – Just as Tom Givens observed in the data from his student involved shootings, reloads are incredibly rare in defensive incidents. Fights are won and lost with the ammo that’s in the gun when it’s drawn and fired. Reloads, if they occur, typically happen after the fight is over, to top off the gun, as shown in this video. John estimated that fewer than 8 of the 12,000 videos he’s viewed included a reload that happened during the fight that had any bearing on the outcome.

Yes, I'm aware that most modern handguns have large magazines and shotguns are typically 2-10 shells but still?

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    My HD AR is loaded with 55 gr. Hornady V-Max in an effort to lessen the over penetration problem. As for the under penetration problem that accompanies some varmint rounds, I have 30 of them in the mag. :D
    My HD 12 gauge is loaded with 00 Buck with slugs on the side saddle. Old school all the way.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I guess I find it funny that so many discount a shotgun due to it's "slow reloads". While in this thread where a INGOer introduced a study of 12,000 gunfights he says this........

Reloads – Just as Tom Givens observed in the data from his student involved shootings, reloads are incredibly rare in defensive incidents. Fights are won and lost with the ammo that’s in the gun when it’s drawn and fired. Reloads, if they occur, typically happen after the fight is over, to top off the gun, as shown in this video. John estimated that fewer than 8 of the 12,000 videos he’s viewed included a reload that happened during the fight that had any bearing on the outcome.

Yes, I'm aware that most modern handguns have large magazines and shotguns are typically 2-10 shells but still?
    On the assumption that you were addressing my post, we're not in disagreement; just miscommunicating.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    A little late to the party but if over penetration is a big concern to you, I found this video useful.

[video=youtube_share;1z_GQfsNB3M]http://youtu.be/1z_GQfsNB3M[/video]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A little late to the party but if over penetration is a big concern to you, I found this video useful.

[video=youtube_share;1z_GQfsNB3M]http://youtu.be/1z_GQfsNB3M[/video]

Put some appliances/furniture/closet full of cloths in there somewhere. Maybe a sink/toilet.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have never had a home owner lose who used a shotgun and fired it. Not a single time.

I don't know enough about the .300 to have any input on it.

BBI, you need to write a book some day titled "What Worked". That would be an interesting read, I'm sure. I'd love to see a compilation of real results with what worked and what did not.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    12 gauge shotgun with 00 Buckshot Federal Flight Control wad. One shot stops. No fliers. Pistols shoot holes in things, rifles shoot holes through things, shotguns rib slabs of meat of things and throw it on the floor.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Have it and read it. Good book but each chapter is an essay on a different aspect of self defense. I'd love to see something a little more focused on the history of what hardware choices worked and possibly what training the defending person had going into the fight.

The book is a real eye opener though and should be read by anyone considering carry for SD. Read that book and you'll think twice about shooting someone to protect your stuff. Shooting to protect life is easy to understand, but shooting to protect your car or some other insured bit of stuff is questionable in the long term cost of the fight. The book does a good job of helping to understand the real cost of using a gun.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...3) Consider ways to reinforce the walls that would be in the line of fire.

If one's floorplan and decor allow, I think the easiest way is strategically placed bookshelves. Plus their moveable if room occupancy changes, etc.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Should be fine on Kindle.

It's spelled "Kendall"....Geeze....

920x920.jpg

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    12 g vs 300

If supressed the 300 has an advantage for hearing and situational awareness. Using subsonic ammunition is a plus. If not - either works well to stop a threat. An SBR surpressed would be ideal for Home and close quarter application.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    It seems that it is impossible to mitigate the risk of penetration with any viable round;however, I think a pistol has some handling benefits while a rifle has some accuracy benefits. Why not use a sub gun with a pistol round since it gives you acceptable velocity and stopping power and the advantage of a firearm with a stock with a slightly longer barrel? I personally would prefer using my sig mpx 9mm or cz scorpion(both are in 9mm) though a vp9 does the job currently. A rifle, carbine, or subgun type setup will give you better accuracy under stress than a pistol especially if you are waking up from deep sleep.

I also think subsonic blackout would be a good option if you wanted to use an ar15; it kills hogs all day (night) here in Florida. It will have pistol carbine like ballistics from what I have read. If you want more powerful 300 blackout then go with supersonic 300 blackout. From what I have seen, there is no magic bullet that will kill bad guys efficiently but not go through drywall with the potential of hurting innocents.

I personally dont like shotguns. I personally think shooting an ar15 in a home is a bad idea due hearing loss, over penetration, handling around corner, impractical in my bedroom, etc. An ar 15 is designed for 50-200 yard engagements (typically) so using it for a 3-5 foot fight doesnt seem best. 300 black subsonic makes this practical in my opinion. A carbine does the same job chambered in 9,40 or 45 (without getting into a mind numbing caliber debate) and with today's options for sub guns you can get a good solution.

I have a 300 blackout ar.
    I have a cz scorpion that sleeps with a suppressor (octane 9).
    I have a sig mpx,
    I use a vp9 but if i had time to grap the cz suppressed i would.
    I have a Mossberg jm930(jerry miculek) shotgun for 3 gun only--i trust it for competition (kind of) but I would not trust its reliability for home defense.

Last edited:

LARRY1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    i also use a 12 gauge shotgun with 00 buck, I just added a light to have both hands free for what ever. my neighbors are not real close, but I have an ar as a backup plus a 45 acp ruger pistol. I hope I never need any of it. just me and the wife so it is more Is more simple for me.

Top Bottom