• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    What brand, model and size is your current monitor? Size is measuring the viewing area(not including any frame) diagonally, corner to corner.

You can easily check your monitor resolution right in Windows.
    Right click on the background of your screen, missing any icons. That should bring up a dialog box. Then click on 'Display Settings'. Then click on 'Advanced display settings' It should then tell you what your resolution setting is.
    Just follow these directions...
    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-screen-resolution-windows-10-2

Dell E2414H it is 24" and is 1920 x 1080......

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Man, you guys have really been informative to me. I was wondering how to tell what generation a CPU was.....now I know. You also answered another of my questions about hard drives...I now understand you can have SSD and a regular like 1TB hard drive, is that correct? I had assumed you get one or the other.....guess not though. I had been looking at units with something like Intel HUD graphics or something like that, but you guys think I actually need a different graphics card than that, like that AMD jkaetz posted?

Monitor resolutions I have no clue on...I don't even know what my monitor now is. I can tell you though, I recently had my eye doctor make me some computer glasses...glasses I only wear while trading. I love how I don't get headaches with them, but the monitor drives me nuts because I can see that like numbers are made up of hundreds of little dots, those dots bug me....before I couldn't see them, but with glasses it is all I see.

I can tell you cost means a lot less to me than anything, but at the same time I am a frugal type and just don't want to blow money to say I paid the most for my pc. I literally use my computer mainly trading, and when trading I usually have 2 chat room scanners running, one for stocks and one for options, a news scanner, TDA Desktop, TDA Think or Swim which I scan charts and make trades. I do this all right now with one 24" screen. Everything runs ok, just I notice sometimes my trade app gets delayed(which is not good when 15 seconds can mean 20-30%). I just want to get to at least 2 monitors and be expandable to 3 or maybe even 4. Right now I find myself missing news or alerts because I am watching charts when the alerts are made. I would just like to be able to watch more at the same time.

I usually always buy from Dell, but that is not set in stone. I just like them because I have a business account with them. Thank you guys for giving me some knowledge on this stuff. When I go to buy I will post it here before so you guys can tell me your thoughts.
    I wouldn't expect you to need dedicated graphics. Most 24" displays are 1k/HD (1920 x 1080) and 27" are 2k/QHD (2560 x 1440). You can find 4k displays in that range but they'll be more $$ of course. Intel's integrated graphics should be able to drive a pair of 1k displays without a problem. If you go up from there you might need a dedicated GPU but you can always try it and see. Adding one is a pretty easy task.

Your note about seeing the dots is an interesting one. You will likely see those on any display that isn't 4k. The ability to see them will also increase as the size of the display goes up unless you also increase the resolution (total number of dots). I used 24" 1k displays for years before finally moving up to a pair of 27" 4k displays. At that level things look nice and smooth. This all comes at a cost though. My home displays are still much lower resolution as I don't want to fork over the $$ for the 27" 4k displays myself.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Is TDA Desktop the same as Tradestation? Do you use Tradestation? That is the application that recommended the higher resolution. If you don't use that one you can get by easier with on-board graphics.

Thinkorswim has pretty low system requirements.

No, I don't think they are the same.....in fact I think Tradestation is a totally different company. Thinkorswim is a TDAmeritrade product and the one I use the most.....

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I wouldn't expect you to need dedicated graphics. Most 24" displays are 1k/HD (1920 x 1080) and 27" are 2k/QHD (2560 x 1440). You can find 4k displays in that range but they'll be more $$ of course. Intel's integrated graphics should be able to drive a pair of 1k displays without a problem. If you go up from there you might need a dedicated GPU but you can always try it and see. Adding one is a pretty easy task.

Your note about seeing the dots is an interesting one. You will likely see those on any display that isn't 4k. The ability to see them will also increase as the size of the display goes up unless you also increase the resolution (total number of dots). I used 24" 1k displays for years before finally moving up to a pair of 27" 4k displays. At that level things look nice and smooth. This all comes at a cost though. My home displays are still much lower resolution as I don't want to fork over the $$ for the 27" 4k displays myself.

So does that mean with 4K I wouldn't see them dots? Thinking about ordering a couple of these......https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-27f...onitor-natural-silver/6219205.p?skuId=6219205 .

I am guessing this is about the best one? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...-4k-uhd-monitor-black/5484022.p?skuId=5484022

Thanks again guys!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Where is the breakpoint of $ vs overkill for this gent coming off of this tired older system? Does he need to throw a grand or more at it or will $5-700 do?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So does that mean with 4K I wouldn't see them dots? Thinking about ordering a couple of these......https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-27f...onitor-natural-silver/6219205.p?skuId=6219205 .

I am guessing this is about the best one? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...-4k-uhd-monitor-black/5484022.p?skuId=5484022

Thanks again guys!
    The first one you listed is 1k (1920x1080). You'd be able to see the dots. The second is 4k (3840 x 2160) and you should not be able to see the dots. "Best" is subjective of course. Being that I spend 8+ hours/day looking at a display I'm very critical and have a pair of these. That is likely overkill for your use though. Fortunately monitors are relatively easy to try out and return if you don't like them. You could get one of each size from best buy and see which one your eyes like best.

Where is the breakpoint of $ vs overkill for this gent coming off of this tired older system? Does he need to throw a grand or more at it or will $5-700 do?
    $500 - $700 will get a good machine. Not latest and greatest but not ready to age out either. For Intel at least with the 10th gen processors coming out now the 8th gen stuff and even some 9th gen stuff will get very reasonable. Still need to add displays if you're not re-using.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    No, I don't think they are the same.....in fact I think Tradestation is a totally different company. Thinkorswim is a TDAmeritrade product and the one I use the most.....

Actually you mentioned "TDAmeritrade desktop tradestation" back in post #42. So I thought it was a TDA product but now you are right - it isn't. Tradestation has the higher graphic system requirements. Thinkorswim has lower requirements. So you should be fine with on-board graphics, especially with a recent generation CPU since the graphics have gotten better with newer generations.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    My current desktop I built myself.

I won't go back to off the shelf computers.

However, been in IT for a long time. I really like what dell has been putting out.

Probably wouldn't take anything less than 16gb of RAM and an SSD for the hard drive.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    You also answered another of my questions about hard drives...I now understand you can have SSD and a regular like 1TB hard drive, is that correct? I had assumed you get one or the other.....guess not though.

Right, you can have several storage memory devices. Like 2 or 3 SSDs and another 2 or 3 spinning hard drives. Just depends on the physical room in your case and the capabilities of your power supply.

So you could have a spare drive just for IRS data and another separate drive for the real books... :D

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    You can certainly have multiple disks as stated above.

In my box I have 3 SSD drives and 2 spinning drives.
    Where as everything should run perfectly fine just know you will see a slight performance difference between the two.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Ok, I bought a doorbuster computer from Dell earlier. It is an i5 9th Gen 1tb, 12G memory.....but I had like 2 minutes to buy before they sold out and couldn't figure out how to add the SSD. It was $699 and I got for 399. Should I call them and see if they can add it from Dell? Think it is $50, but I was rushed before this sold out and couldn't get it to change on order. Is hooking up a SSD easy to do if I just buy one can I install it?

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving.

Thanks!

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Ok, I bought a doorbuster computer from Dell earlier. It is an i5 9th Gen 1tb, 12G memory.....but I had like 2 minutes to buy before they sold out and couldn't figure out how to add the SSD. It was $699 and I got for 399. Should I call them and see if they can add it from Dell? Think it is $50, but I was rushed before this sold out and couldn't get it to change on order. Is hooking up a SSD easy to do if I just buy one can I install it?

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving.

Thanks!

Hey, congratulations! That sounds like a nice machine. What is the i5 model number?

I would call Dell and have them do it, but only if they install Windows on the SDD.
    Physically adding the SSD is very easy, yes you could do it easily, however you want Windows installed on the SSD.

If you wait and install an SSD yourself you will have to migrate Windows from the hard drive to the SSD.
    That can be done but it would be much easier if that was done at Dell.

Now they could have a machine like the one you bought all ready to go with Windows installed on the hard drive and just add the SSD - that would be very little help.
    You would have to verify during the call that they would add the SSD and then install Windows on it.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Hey, congratulations! That sounds like a nice machine. What is the i5 model number?

I would call Dell and have them do it, but only if they install Windows on the SDD.
    Physically adding the SSD is very easy, yes you could do it easily, however you want Windows installed on the SSD.

If you wait and install an SSD yourself you will have to migrate Windows from the hard drive to the SSD.
    That can be done but it would be much easier if that was done at Dell.

Now they could have a machine like the one you bought all ready to go with Windows installed on the hard drive and just add the SSD - that would be very little help.
    You would have to verify during the call that they would add the SSD and then install Windows on it.

i5 9600......? Is that the model #? Dell upgrade they take out the 1tb and replace with the 256 SSD, for $50....didn't you guys say it is better to have both? I may just take this machine when I get it to a computer guy and let him install the SSD. Can someone skilled in this stuff migrate Windows easily if machine is brand new? Is that i5 a decent one? Thanks!

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    i5 9600......? Is that the model #? Dell upgrade they take out the 1tb and replace with the 256 SSD, for $50....didn't you guys say it is better to have both? I may just take this machine when I get it to a computer guy and let him install the SSD. Can someone skilled in this stuff migrate Windows easily if machine is brand new? Is that i5 a decent one? Thanks!
    If you go that route grab an ssd from Amazon while they're still on sale. I can help you out if you can get the machine to me. I may even have some work for you if you're interested. Feel free to PM.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Yes, that i5 looks like a good one. Six cores, 3.1 GHz base frequency, will run 3 monitors and only 65 watts TDP. Very nice!
    Passmark score: 13,931 which is very good but only 3 samples so the score could be less accurate than it will be with more samples.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    If you go that route grab an ssd from Amazon while they're still on sale. I can help you out if you can get the machine to me. I may even have some work for you if you're interested. Feel free to PM.

Thank you so much for that offer....any certain brand of SSD I should order? I am seeing if my brother in law knows how...if he don't I may just make arrangements to get with you. Is that something I would need to drop off to have done?

And Ingo comes through again.

CM, INGO is an amazing place with some great people!

Now there is a good deal!

Yes, that i5 looks like a good one. Six cores, 3.1 GHz base frequency, will run 3 monitors and only 65 watts TDP. Very nice!
    Passmark score: 13,931 which is very good but only 3 samples so the score could be less accurate than it will be with more samples.

You guys are awesome! I would have had no idea what to buy without you guys helping me along.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thank you so much for that offer....any certain brand of SSD I should order? I am seeing if my brother in law knows how...if he don't I may just make arrangements to get with you. Is that something I would need to drop off to have done?
    If it goes smoothly it should only take an hour or so. If it argues a bit more. What is the computer model? Some of Dell's desktops even have an m.2 slot in them. I've used sandisk, crucial, samsung, Toshiba, and intel ssd's all with no problems. Since you're not going for max performance they will all serve you well. I just stick with the larger name brands.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    If it goes smoothly it should only take an hour or so. If it argues a bit more. What is the computer model? Some of Dell's desktops even have an m.2 slot in them. I've used sandisk, crucial, samsung, Toshiba, and intel ssd's all with no problems. Since you're not going for max performance they will all serve you well. I just stick with the larger name brands.

I think it is a 3671.

Top Bottom