• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    My son has now received his LTCH and I have a few questions.

How many here have a son/daughter carrying at 19 years old? My son is wanting to carry and I'd like opinions on what the ramifications COULD be if he is stopped for say a traffic violation etc... and is asked if he has any weapons on him or in the car. How do police look at a 19 year old carrying a handgun?

The handgun he will/would be carrying is an SR9 that actually belongs to me since he cannot purchase one himself. He has paid me back for the pistol and I will have to have some sort of paper written up stating I have transfered ownership to him.

FWIW, he has been around firearms all his life, has taken the Hunters Ed course and has exibited to me he has the complete understanding of safety involved with any weapon.

Appreciate any input!:yesway:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    My son has now received his LTCH and I have a few questions.

How many here have a son/daughter carrying at 19 years old? My son is wanting to carry and I'd like opinions on what the ramifications COULD be if he is stopped for say a traffic violation etc... and is asked if he has any weapons on him or in the car. How do police look at a 19 year old carrying a handgun?

The handgun he will/would be carrying is an SR9 that actually belongs to me since he cannot purchase one himself. He has paid me back for the pistol and I will have to have some sort of paper written up stating I have transfered ownership to him.

FWIW, he has been around firearms all his life, has taken the Hunters Ed course and has exibited to me he has the complete understanding of safety involved with any weapon.

Appreciate any input!:yesway:

My GF's 18 & 19 year old kids carry. I gave her a couple pistols that she gave them. They got their LTCH on their own. I taught them to use the weapons. They understand they are not toys and that every time they take it out of the holster they can kill themselves or someone else.

I have no problem with them carrying at all.

Good for you and rep for letting your son carry.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I started carrying at 18, some LEO's won't like it but some LEO's don't like anyone carrying. He can purchase a handgun from you or any other private party just not a FFL, it's up to you and him to know whether he is responsible enough to carry.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    One of my Foster Daughters started carrying at 18 after she got her LTCH.
    I trained her, and felt confident that she was responsible enough to do it.
    She worked for a while as an armed Security Guard.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You don't need any paper transfer either. Handshake or a nod is sufficient. ;)

Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it's legal. If he's responsible and wants to, he should.

Encourage him to get more training as well. :)

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I did some training with my dad the summer I started carrying, great father son bonding time

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    If he/she is old enough to go to war and fight and die for our country (with guns) and old enough to vote then they are old enough to carry. The biggest issue here is determining whether he/she is educated, mature, and level headed enough to bare this responsibility. I carried at 18 and it was probably a mistake in most peoples eyes (occasionally my own looking back).

If they can handle it, then more power to them!!!

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I would say that there is a good chance he will receive some extra attention if stopped while carrying. I know I did when I was stopped and the LE saw I had a pellet pistol in the car. I was 19 or 20 and the stop turned into a 2 hour ordeal. Just make sure he knows his rights. Tell him to practice responses to various questions he may be asked.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Ramifications are the same for him as they are for you or me. It's legal for him to carry, it's legal for him to own a handgun.

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    When my 20 YO son turned 18, he wanted a handgun for his BD present. I bought him what he picked out, an FNH .40. He went the day after his 18th BD, and applied for his LTCH by himself and paid all the fees. 8 weeks later, his LTCH arrived and he has carried (where he legally can)ever since. We have had several discussions on legal issues and safety. I have also given him several "refresher discussions". My 17 YO is now trying to figure out what handgun he wants me to buy him for his 18th BD.

Even though they can't buy the weapon or the pistol ammo until they're 21, my kids heve been around me, my guns, hunting, target practice, hunter's ed., etc. for a long time. I still belive at that age, even though they are legally adults, a responsible parent will know if they are ready to carry at that point.

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I have carried daily since I turned 18 I'm 19 now. I have never even so much as gotten a funny look from a cop while carrying. No matter where I have been. And I don't know about not being able to buy ammo. I've bought pistol ammo since I got my gun. No one has ever carded me for it or even gave it a second thought. :dunno:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    <---Another that started carrying a gun at 18. (20yrs ago, jeebus I am getting old.)

That said, it depends on the mental maturity of the 18yr old, your his father, you know him best.

As far as the possible encounters with LEOs, well that depends greatly on the reasons for the encounter and the LEO involved.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    You mention safe gun handling. Does that include a study of the applicable laws?
    That is a very good point, and it's just as important as safe handling training. It seems to me there is a higher likelihood of running afoul of some law, than actually having to use your weapon in a defense situation. I consider myself to be educated on the carry laws in our state, but I'm sure there is a lot I don't know too, and I've heard stories from guys I work with that just flat amaze me at how un-informed some people are, and they have a LTCH!

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Both our daughters started carrying between 18 & 20.

Both have had encounters with Police while carrying and had no issues, difference between boys and girls though too I am sure.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I wanted to carry at age 19. Due to some RIDICULOUS misinformation, I thought that I had to be 21 to purchase a pistol or that my parents had to be the ones to purchase the handgun for me...had I known I only needed to be 18, I'd have applied for my LTCH on my 18th birthday and bought a handgun soon thereafter.

In the end, I applied for my LTCH and recieved it at 20, and the day I turned 21 I bought my first handgun. I regret not verifying that the information my parents recieved was incorrect...if I had, I'd have started carrying a year sooner. Live and learn :D

Top Bottom