• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    I will be getting my son his LTCH for his 18th birthday in May just as I did my daughter. They are both responsible young people and have earned my trust.

Buckaroo

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    My father gave me a gun when I was 19 after I received my LTCH. As long as he is responsible, I think it's a good idea for him to have the means to protect himself.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My son just turned 18 last week and we are getting his LTCH soon. He has been shooting many years & carries when we are on the Farm. He shot his first full auto M-16 @ 11yrs of age. :ar15: No,it wasn't at Knob Creek either!:D

Tony

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    Just to share my experience,

I started carrying in IN (South Bend) when I was 18. Got pulled over for speeding 4 times before moving to China at age 22. Each time I simply handed over my LTC along with DL, each time I was told to drive carefully and let go without a ticket.

The 4 LEOs (1 state trooper, 2 SB PD, 1 ... forgot) never mentioned the LTC or firearms at all.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    If you're asking because you doubt his maturity level is where it needs to be, then I'd get him some training or round out those rough edges in his character first.

A Friend of 2A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    As long the young adult is mentally mature (in the parents eyes) and can meet the state guidelines for their LTCH then why not let them carry when my daughter turn 18 and if she wishes to carry, then I have a pink Mosquito waiting for her. She already knows its hers and has fired it on a semi-reguler basis, (as my schedule allows me to take her to the range or her uncle's farm for target practice). Even as I type, there is a full copy of the state guns laws on her laptop.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    As a parent, it is natural to be concerned when a child first goes to school on their own, drives a car or carries a gun. They all involve responsibilities and hopefully, we as parents instill the appropriate values and set the right examples.

I had my first .22 rifle at 14; shotgun at 16; issued M16 at 19 and issued revolver at 25. In retrospect, I was probably more responsible with the .22 because it was an awesome responsibility. After awhile, the old "familiarity breeds contempt" crept in to some extent.

Bottom line, if a 19 year old is responsible and trustworthy, then he'll likley be just fine. BTW - Safety goes beyond carrying. He needs to be sure to have the gun secured when not in his possesion.

Top Bottom