• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    On a side note, the experience (if any) with law enforcement will depend primarily upon the attitude of the officers involved. I've had officers pitch a fit that I choose to carry a handgun, and I've had other officers who acknowledge that there is absolutely nothing wrong with carrying a handgun. It all depends on the attitude of the officer involved. YMMV.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I was stopped a couple of times with a handgun in the car, I was only asked for my license once. He nodded, handed the license back, gave me a warning for the traffic violation and left.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Damn, some of you guys are just pups! I feel old all of a sudden.:D

I feel the same way... I started carrying at 17 and a half thanks to Uncle Sam. I was in the MP's so I carried a 45 daily. When I turned 18 I got my LTCH and have carried or had one within reach for the past 30+ years.

My 21 year old daughter has recently applied for her LTCH and once she gets it I have a nice little 642 with her name on it.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Damn, some of you guys are just pups! I feel old all of a sudden.:D

I feel the same way... I started carrying at 17 and a half thanks to Uncle Sam. I was in the MP's so I carried a 45 daily. When I turned 18 I got my LTCH and have carried or had one within reach for the past 30+ years.

My 21 year old daughter has recently applied for her LTCH and once she gets it I have a nice little 642 with her name on it.

Kids!! :laugh:

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Maturity and training.

I really depends upon his maturity level and if you've trained him right. The US military hands a weapon far more deadly than an handgun to 18 year olds every day of the week. He who carries must be able to carry the weight of the responsibility as well.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    If he/she is old enough to go to war and fight and die for our country (with guns) and old enough to vote then they are old enough to carry. The biggest issue here is determining whether he/she is educated, mature, and level headed enough to bare this responsibility. I carried at 18 and it was probably a mistake in most peoples eyes (occasionally my own looking back).

If they can handle it, then more power to them!!!
    This, PERIOD!

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    As long as its legal, its fine with me :) Most people know how to use guns from an early age. As long as they have their LTCH they should be fine and more power to them for taking steps to protect themselves.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I have carried since I was 18. 22 years. I have never had any LEO say anything about it.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    My son has now received his LTCH and I have a few questions.

How many here have a son/daughter carrying at 19 years old? My son is wanting to carry and I'd like opinions on what the ramifications COULD be if he is stopped for say a traffic violation etc... and is asked if he has any weapons on him or in the car. How do police look at a 19 year old carrying a handgun?

The handgun he will/would be carrying is an SR9 that actually belongs to me since he cannot purchase one himself. He has paid me back for the pistol and I will have to have some sort of paper written up stating I have transfered ownership to him.

FWIW, he has been around firearms all his life, has taken the Hunters Ed course and has exibited to me he has the complete understanding of safety involved with any weapon.

Appreciate any input!:yesway:

I started carrying at 19, as for getting stopped by the police I never got stopped so I would not know how they react. But, as long as your son isn't doing anything wrong there is nothing the police can do.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I am 19 and carrying every day. You'd be surprised by how many people have stopped me in a months time to ask how old I was and asking why I open carry. The only thing I would think would decide whether your son would carry, IMHO, would be whether he knows or not what he has on him, what he can do, and have a little common sense about it. And +1 to who ever said to have an answer ready for anything asked. When I've got nothing to do at work, I run any question I possibly can through my head and try to come up with an answer.

And make sure he can keep a level head when he is kicked out of somewhere for carrying.

I went into the Brickyard Billiards on 40 by Western Bowl while OC'ing to ask how much it would cost to play. I had someone appear out of a dark corner and ask me if I was a cop, to which I had to reply no. "We don't allow pistols in here, you need to leave."

I could have had a lot to say, including "How do you know half the people aren't hiding it?", but common sense said just say ok and leave. And I did. The guy has known me for a year or two, and knew I was 19.

Depends on who you deal with.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I went into the Brickyard Billiards on 40 by Western Bowl while OC'ing to ask how much it would cost to play. I had someone appear out of a dark corner and ask me if I was a cop, to which I had to reply no. "We don't allow pistols in here, you need to leave."

I could have had a lot to say, including "How do you know half the people aren't hiding it?", but common sense said just say ok and leave. And I did. The guy has known me for a year or two, and knew I was 19.

No only common sense, but also the law. The law doesn't give the visitor the option of debating the issue, asking for a supervisor, etc.. If an agent or owner tells you to leave, I would strongly suggest at least moving towards an exit. If you want to debate, ask for a supervisor, etc., do it while moving towards the exit. You never know if some off-duty cop is standing right there and decides you need to go to jail for refusing to leave the property once you were asked and it is determined you had not "contractual interest."

As far as carrying young, it all depends on the kid. I personally can't bring myself to sell guns to certain relatives, and I don't think I could ever sell or gift a gun to a son or daughter. People change, and I don't want something I purchased or gave to be the cause of a tragedy. I picture myself as extremely mature when compared to others, even good friends. They may not drink, or get into fights, are respectable to most folks, but they might do something stupid like leave a gun laying around. Even that can have disastrous consequences. So I have a rule: No guns to family, unless in extreme emergencies and only after they have proven to me they are in the carry mindset (meaning they show me the safe they purchased if not going to carry 24/7, have ideas on what they would do if in danger, etc.). For friends, depends on the person and how I know they live.

I came to this after selling my cousin a Glock. Then I hear how he is out partying, like most kids his age (this was when he was around 21 and older). On two occasions, he left a handgun in his car and friends got pulled over with it. No one ever went to jail over it, but he had to get it from ISP twice. Thankfully I think he sold it, or I hope so!! I think now I wouldn't worry too much, since he is older and wiser. Still, just because something is legal doesn't mean one needs to not care. Really think things through. My good friends from growing up ask me about guns almost every time I see them. I tell them I am no longer into guns, because I have sold off lots of the things I used to be able to afford when I was younger. They still want to get into guns, or are considering one. I tell them when they get a gun, I will help them in anyway...shooting is fun. I am not one to tell anyone they need to get a gun, should have a gun, etc.. To me, owning a firearm is a huge responsibility, and the person who desires one should be 100% on their own when doing so when it comes to the actual purchase, asking questions, etc.. I will give my best advice based on their situation, but I don't like to direct people, or push them, towards the notion they need or must have a firearm.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    "... I don't think I could ever sell or gift a gun to a son or daughter. People change, and I don't want something I purchased or gave to be the cause of a tragedy.

You don't think spoons make people fat, and pencils mis-spell words, do you?

I hear what you're saying, but I wouldn't let that be your hang-up about it.

What someone does with something you give/sell them(be it a gun, car, knife set for their wedding gift, etc) shouldn't have any bering on your emotions if they turn around and abuse or mis-use the inanemate(sp?) object.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    You don't think spoons make people fat, and pencils mis-spell words, do you?

I hear what you're saying, but I wouldn't let that be your hang-up about it.

What someone does with something you give/sell them(be it a gun, car, knife set for their wedding gift, etc) shouldn't have any bering on your emotions if they turn around and abuse or mis-use the inanemate(sp?) object.

What Indy was saying is somewhat how I was feeling. I KNOW my son is FULLY aware of the responsibilities when carrying/handling a firearm. If I didn't feel he was, I would NEVER consider allowing him to carry if I wasn't with him. I didn't want to feel I was going to be letting/allowing him to possibly be put in a situation simply because of his age. His respect for a firearm was never in question as far as I am concerned.

As far as not having any bearing on my emotions, he IS my son, so my love and concern for him would have a bearing on my emotions IF something were to happen (God forbid) since I bought the firearm for him in the first place.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    My son has now received his LTCH and I have a few questions.

How many here have a son/daughter carrying at 19 years old? My son is wanting to carry and I'd like opinions on what the ramifications COULD be if he is stopped for say a traffic violation etc... and is asked if he has any weapons on him or in the car. How do police look at a 19 year old carrying a handgun?

The handgun he will/would be carrying is an SR9 that actually belongs to me since he cannot purchase one himself. He has paid me back for the pistol and I will have to have some sort of paper written up stating I have transfered ownership to him.

FWIW, he has been around firearms all his life, has taken the Hunters Ed course and has exibited to me he has the complete understanding of safety involved with any weapon.

Appreciate any input!:yesway:
    He is a man right?

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

He is a man. Treat him like a man. That's all

Ok, got 'cha. Only point I was making was, no matter how old he gets he still is my son. My love for him, and concern for his well being will always be on my mind.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I KNOW my son is FULLY aware of the responsibilities when carrying/handling a firearm. If I didn't feel he was, I would NEVER consider allowing him to carry if I wasn't with him.

I think we are in agreement that its it's not about the tool, or object. You have enstilled the right values in him, trust him, and have educated him to the laws and situations he may be presented with.

I pray that I feel the same way about my son at that age...he is a toddler right now.

As far as not having any bearing on my emotions, he IS my son, so my love and concern for him would have a bearing on my emotions IF something were to happen (God forbid) since I bought the firearm for him in the first place.

I would suspect that you would have a similar reaction if you didn't purchase a firearm for him to protect himself with and something preventable were to happen. Or if he was in a position where a firearm would save his bacon, and he wasn't able to because of the choice you made...especially since you feel he has the mental capacity and maturity to be responsible and smart with such a tool.

Top Bottom