• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I think all day-sleepers can agree that we don't expect everyone else around us to adjust to our sleep schedules. That's a very snowflake-like thing to expect from strangers. What we do is buy blackout curtains, noise machines, earplugs, sleep masks, fans...whatever it takes to get our ZZ's in. I often work from 1330 till 0400 and sleep till noon so the lawn mowers, leaf blowers string trimmers etc.. at 10am on a Saturday or Sunday get rather annoying. What I do not expect is for the whole neighborhood to adjust to me...the needs of the many and whatnot....

Testify, brother.
    My normal work hours are 2200-0600, so I ordinarily sleep up to around at least 1500, but I don't expect for the neighbors to just stop on my account.
    Put an extra pillow over the side of my head, or (haven't had to do it yet, but it's an option) pop in some foam earplugs.
    We third-shifters have to acknowledge the reality that about 70% of the world is first-shifters, about 20% second-shifters, and a scant 10% are third shifters.
    We have to adapt to the rest of the world, not the other way around.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I too am a 3rd shifter ( 11yrs) and have learned to deal with neighbors mowing, weed trimming, working on cars etc while trying to get some sleep. I try to he a courteous neighbor but when I gotta get stuff done sorry about ya. I would just continue doing things as you always have and they should get the hint

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Testify, brother.
    My normal work hours are 2200-0600, so I ordinarily sleep up to around at least 1500, but I don't expect for the neighbors to just stop on my account.
    Put an extra pillow over the side of my head, or (haven't had to do it yet, but it's an option) pop in some foam earplugs.
    We third-shifters have to acknowledge the reality that about 70% of the world is first-shifters, about 20% second-shifters, and a scant 10% are third shifters.
    We have to adapt to the rest of the world, not the other way around.

No, no, no... you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to demand "protected class" status. ;)

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I hate DST. If I want to get 7-8 hours sleep, i need to go to bed when it's still light. I don't expect anyone to stop what they are doing outside between 7am-10pm. I'd prefer to live in the sticks, but my other half doesn't agree, so the neighbors and us are stuck trying to tolerate each other! Not really that bad, i figure everyone does something that bugs the others at times. As long as it's not intentional or downright inconsiderate, i don't care much.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    What kind of neighbor leaves an anonymous note?

I had a neighbor open my apparently misdelivered bank statement a couple weeks ago and then cowardly leave it in our mailbox with an anonymous oops note. If I find out who they are, I'll tell them in person I'd just as soon they move from the neighborhood for my comfort.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon

I had a neighbor open my apparently misdelivered bank statement a couple weeks ago and then cowardly leave it in our mailbox with an anonymous oops note. If I find out who they are, I'll tell them in person I'd just as soon they move from the neighborhood for my comfort.
    Wow! Yes, the first thing a person does when they get mail is see who it's addressed to, this also helps weed out the junk mail when I read "Current Resident" it's going straight to the trash.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

Says the guy with no personal information at all on his INGO profile.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Do what you can to be a good neighbor; leave a note on your own car for the disgruntled person to read to the effect of you understand their sleeping situation and though you will do you best to keep the noise down, it is unrealistic to expect the surrounding neighbors to cater to their specific situation, and that you appreciate their willingness to be good neighbors and show grace to you.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I hate DST. If I want to get 7-8 hours sleep, i need to go to bed when it's still light. I don't expect anyone to stop what they are doing outside between 7am-10pm. I'd prefer to live in the sticks, but my other half doesn't agree, so the neighbors and us are stuck trying to tolerate each other! Not really that bad, i figure everyone does something that bugs the others at times. As long as it's not intentional or downright inconsiderate, i don't care much.

Wrong thread!:rockwoot:

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Well, I can rule out one of my neighbors since she was mowing until 9:15pm this evening. I was watching to see if anyone was going to come out of the woodwork with a note to put on her car but it didn't happen. That narrows it down to the neighbors on my other side or those behind us.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, I can rule out one of my neighbors since she was mowing until 9:15pm this evening. I was watching to see if anyone was going to come out of the woodwork with a note to put on her car but it didn't happen. That narrows it down to the neighbors on my other side or those behind us.

They will out themselves. People like that can not help it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Often needing to be up at 4am to catch early commuter flights, I also can attest to the difficulty of trying to get to sleep at 7 or 8 PM, especially during the height of all this daylight we're "saving". And the community park/basketball court is directly across the street from our house.

It would be completely unreasonable of me to ask the kids to stop congregating at the park/playing basketball, merely because I need to get to sleep obnoxiously early.

Instead, I use ear buds.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    People have neighbors? Man... I've got it lucky!!! I left that lifestyle in preference of my "next-door neighbor" living almost a mile away...

I'm just kidding around (although my next-door neighbor really is almost a mile away). I tend to agree with what most said, make an attempt to be courteous but you have to do what you have to do and "no noise after 8 pm" is a bit unreasonable...

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Although I don't like the way the message was delivered, I don't think that it was an unreasonable request. If it were me, I'd try to comply when it was possible. My neighbors (really the wife, cause the husband is hen pecked) in back came to tell me how and where I'd mow in back of my fence after I first moved in. They told me how my sump pump discharge pipe should be extended and placed. I told them that I couldn't do that because the last I knew water didn't run uphill. One time during our HOA annual yard sale, I parked my pickup on the easement on my property so I had room in the garage for sitting and selling. They came by to have me explain why it was there. After I told them multiple times that it was on my property, I think that it finally sunk in. They have never once acted sociable or pleasant. They haven't bothered me now for several years. Your neighbors might not be getting enough sleep and are grumpy. Of course that isn't your fault, but I certainly wouldn't become an asshat just because of an innocuous note.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Mike, I agree, and I'm just going to continue being (what I thought) a good neighbor. I think the anonymous note was what really annoyed me. If I'm bothering anyone then I want to know it, and I want to know WHO I'm bothering. An anonymous note seems cowardly.

Top Bottom