• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Some neighbors just want to be a pain in the butt. I grew up in downtown Osceola. About a mile easr of there is one of the busiest railyards around. We were used to sleeping through train horns. A lady across the street would come over and complain to my parents that us kids were playing too loud and she wasn't able to get to bed at 7:00 pm. But the neighbor on the other side was always working on his racecar or Harley.

She even had the local LEO come out with her once during this "discussion." While she was talking, the train horn was blowing (we were 2 blocks from the tracks) AND the other neighbor was testing his new rev limiter. The officer just asked that we didn't get as loud as the train and we'd be ok.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Lol.....some cops are just plain awesome.

Some neighbors just want to be a pain in the butt. I grew up in downtown Osceola. About a mile easr of there is one of the busiest railyards around. We were used to sleeping through train horns. A lady across the street would come over and complain to my parents that us kids were playing too loud and she wasn't able to get to bed at 7:00 pm. But the neighbor on the other side was always working on his racecar or Harley.

She even had the local LEO come out with her once during this "discussion." While she was talking, the train horn was blowing (we were 2 blocks from the tracks) AND the other neighbor was testing his new rev limiter. The officer just asked that we didn't get as loud as the train and we'd be ok.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Years ago, I had the same problem. I was mowing around 8:30pm and a neighbor pulled the same stunt. Next week, at 2:00am, I drug out the construction lights and mowed my lawn. I left a note in my mailbox, "it can get worse". Next day, the note was gone and I never had a complaint again.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Years ago, I had the same problem. I was mowing around 8:30pm and a neighbor pulled the same stunt. Next week, at 2:00am, I drug out the construction lights and mowed my lawn. I left a note in my mailbox, "it can get worse". Next day, the note was gone and I never had a complaint again.
    Wow! Also, was your neighbor ever found? :)

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    1. Write 'colorful' reply regarding pounding sand, involving oneself romantically with their own mother, etc., at bottom of note
    2. Make 1 dozen photo copies of note/reply
    3. Buy these: http://a.co/gAGGfvO
    4. Staple individual packs of #3 to each copy of note/reply
    5. Distribute to nearest neighbors anonymously
    6. Continue living life as you see fit.

* save remaining packs of #3 for range trips.

Maybe that should be purple...maybe not.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It's great to be a nice neighbor if you can be, but I have limited hours to get things done around the house. To me, anything before 10pm and after 7am is fair game.

Agree with this whole heartedly but I adjust per daylight; no uncapped headers or other noisy activities unless it's generally considered "day time". The neighbors across the street have several boys and a few years back while they were into dirt bikes they liked to race around sans baffles late into the day. Only one time did I feel the urge to cross the street and ask them to shut it down as the sun had dropped but just as I was opening my front door to go talk to them their dad came out and gave them the what for. I let dad know I appreciated his interest in the same noise "rules" I followed.

Last edited:

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I agree, I was brought up with the reality that daylight hours are working hours. I also think there is a difference between someone working and there is noise versus someone just having fun and making noise.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I typically go to bed at 8 p.m., up at 3:15-3:30 a.m., and I also love an afternoon nap when I can get one. As others have said, I don't expect my neighbors to adjust (but boy do I wish they would :):).

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    No easy answer to this. I'm surprised what a tough crowd we have. One of my reasons for moving to the country years ago was to avoid neighbors and their noise. It worked.

IMO mowing, trimming, leaf blowing, should really be done by 8 PM. There are other people trying to have a relaxing evening. Same as the guy who is up at 7AM mowing totally wet grass. Flame on.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    My neighbor across the street is a real ass. Disking, plowing, planting and picking his crops at 10pm. Stupid farmers.

Like others said, I'd ignore the note if they can't talk to you face to face.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I think all day-sleepers can agree that we don't expect everyone else around us to adjust to our sleep schedules. That's a very snowflake-like thing to expect from strangers. What we do is buy blackout curtains, noise machines, earplugs, sleep masks, fans...whatever it takes to get our ZZ's in. I often work from 1330 till 0400 and sleep till noon so the lawn mowers, leaf blowers string trimmers etc.. at 10am on a Saturday or Sunday get rather annoying. What I do not expect is for the whole neighborhood to adjust to me...the needs of the many and whatnot....

Spot on. Having worked 3rds, 2nds, and 1sts in the same week, sleep was a valued commodity. Blackout curtains were my friend. Lawn mowers and the like didn't bother me much.

When is the open carry and 24hour machine noise party?

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Is she a blonde or brunette?

THIS is the winner of this thread.
    I'd try to wrap it up by 8 or so, just to try to be a good neighbor.
    That said, time and tide wait for no man. Do what you have to do to keep up your house.
    Anyone who can't understand and hasn't the cojones to knock on your door and talk to you in person isn't worth a second thought.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Everybody and their brother was working overtime cutting grass last week during the rain? If that's all your neighbors have to gripe about, I'd say they're gonna live.

Top Bottom