• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ok another great Carbine class is in the book.

We had one AK and one weird Beretta thingy.

Quite a few self induced malfunctions not the weapons fault.

Here are my notes.

BCM intermittent failure to fire I think something was up with the bolt.

PSA Not doing good several malfunctions of various types.

Anderson couple failures to extract.

The AK was 100%!

Notes
    Know the manual of arms for the AR.
    Slap and pull on the magazine
    After reloading release the bolt
    Know how to use your sling when switching from strong side to weak.

I think it's foolish to just trust something because it supposed to be top of the line, or known to be very reliable.

Find out if your rifle is going to run or not. If it fails fix it until it does run properly.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I just picked up a destitute. Quite literally 15 - 20% of my go to 5.56 rifles.

Trigger is better than I expected, though I suspect it's MIM. Barrel bore is clean. 1:8 twist.

Action is what I would term gritty, but bolt looked good and was MPI'd. I did stake the gas key and castle a little more.

Carbine length gas system, my first. I'll be interested to see how harsh the recoil impulse is.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I own KAC, LMT, Noveske, Colt, Centurion, FN, Daniel Defense, Ballistic Advantage, SOLGW, Saber Defence(defunct). With that being said, I've had the most issues with LMT. I had to send back one of their "enhanced" bolts that had chipped one of its lugs with a round count of ~2000. Also, my 308 carrier had its coating starting to flake off. I personally communicated with Gene Swanson there and he never gave me a reason as to why the bolt chipped with that few of rounds. Crickets as to coating flaking as well. They did send me a new bolt and new carrier but it took over a month and constant pestering. YMMV

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I own KAC, LMT, Noveske, Colt, Centurion, FN, Daniel Defense, Ballistic Advantage, SOLGW, Saber Defence(defunct). With that being said, I've had the most issues with LMT. I had to send back one of their "enhanced" bolts that had chipped one of its lugs with a round count of ~2000. Also, my 308 carrier had its coating starting to flake off. I personally communicated with Gene Swanson there and he never gave me a reason as to why the bolt chipped with that few of rounds. Crickets as to coating flaking as well. They did send me a new bolt and new carrier but it took over a month and constant pestering. YMMV
    That’s disappointing to hear. I had been thinking of trying to order a LMT 308… I may have to go H&K instead.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Some folks need prestige, when basic utilitarian would serve them just as well. I guess until Rolls-Royce comes out with a pickup, my F-150 will have to do.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Some folks need prestige, when basic utilitarian would serve them just as well. I guess until Rolls-Royce comes out with a pickup, my F-150 will have to do.

Sorry dude. A decent F-150 is the BCM or Daniel Defense of the car world. With the price of F-150s now they have become a borderline prestige item. My 19 year old son talks about someday owning a pickup truck as a long term goal when his job is successful enough to be able to afford one. His grandfather passed away 2 weeks ago and I asked The Boy if he wanted me to buy Grandpa’s truck? His answer was that he had not earned that type of vehicle yet. Truth be told he lives on campus and doesn’t need a car right now anyway.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Sorry dude. A decent F-150 is the BCM or Daniel Defense of the car world. With the price of F-150s now they have become a borderline prestige item. My 19 year old son talks about someday owning a pickup truck as a long term goal when his job is successful enough to be able to afford one. His grandfather passed away 2 weeks ago and I asked The Boy if he wanted me to buy Grandpa’s truck? His answer was that he had not earned that type of vehicle yet. Truth be told he lives on campus and doesn’t need a car right now anyway.

They are luxury car level. My '19 Ram Limited is insane for a pickup and the '25 Ram Tungsten blows it away.

They've gone from 19 speakers in my truck, to 23 in 2025 with 24-way adjustable massaging seats... they are far from the trucks of just a few short years ago!

A good friend of mine just got his C8 a few months ago. Ironically, his rules for when he drives his C8 are similar to my truck. I try to avoid rain and snow unless the wife and I both have somewhere to be at the same time!

And to get this thread back on track, my S&W M&P 15 has never let me down, nor did I have any failures during a recent carbine class.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    That’s disappointing to hear. I had been thinking of trying to order a LMT 308… I may have to go H&K instead.
    My LMT 308 is nice. I'm just a sample of one so I wouldn't let my experience deter you. Their QC is kind of slipping especially since they got their military contracts. The civy side has taken a backseat. I also forgot that I had to send back a "new" MRP upper that was scraped/scratched/worn. I just happened to find my work order ticket the other day when I was rearranging my gun room.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I love these, they never fail to make everyone angry! I'm a proud owner of poverty, mid tier B, and mid tier A and I love em all!

Maybe someday I'll be able to get up to Gucci...
    The Gucci tier rifles are just as good as the mid b in most cases. They just give you bragging rights on the internet, that's the only advantage in most cases.

I still think buying buying mid tier b or a on this list with Gucci parts that matter is the way to go.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So I am involved in several Carbine classes a year. This gives me a causal list of malfunctions and issues with weapons and optics. This is sometimes upsetting for shooters that have some coin in a AR that does not work.

The lists are funny to me if you think you can tell a weapons quality and reliability from the YouTube’s or a shot show. You my friend are delusional.

Hit the range in a challenging class and see what happens.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So I am involved in several Carbine classes a year. This gives me a causal list of malfunctions and issues with weapons and optics. This is sometimes upsetting for shooters that have some coin in a AR that does not work.

The lists are funny to me if you think you can tell a weapons quality and reliability from the YouTube’s or a shot show. You my friend are delusional.

Hit the range in a challenging class and see what happens.
    The list above is a lot different than most. You might agree with several of their choices.

Top Bottom