• Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    worddoer,

you are in the VAST minority of glock owners. I admit, for the most part, I can't stand (possibly hate glocks), the pistol and the company and the fan boi mentality. Most of them think glock is perfect, everything is a glock copy, glocks never fail, and so many police departments carry glock because they're just sooo damn perfect. They never question why something is the way it is.

I think you're one of the few people out there that may actually realize glocks can have a stoppage even. They're man mad objects and they can and will fail and as a glock fan you actually admit that there are other good pistols out there.....almost never hear that

Glock makes pistols that work most the time, that is the only credit I can give them. Does that make them the only reliable pistol out there? Hell no. Glock fan bois don't know the meaning of complimenting a good pistol because it's "a glock copy", most of them anyway. Again, you're in the minority

Your post should really impact both sides of the glock view, both supporters and haters, because there is a double standard for the bias/hate posts.

Your post was informative, non combative, and I enjoyed them.

Still can't stand glocks though

What are you a fan of?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think this pistol will impress a lot of folks. It's not a night and day difference but collectively all of the small improvements yields a significantly improved handgun in my opinion. I'm not expecting it to convert any non Glock people away from their pistol of choice but the Glock folks will be very happy.

That said, it is believed by many that coming up with something bad to say about any new firearm makes someone sound like a pro so you can expect there will be plenty of that as well.

Ah, "incremental stack-up"?:D (First coined by Jeff Cooper).

I know what you do for a living so I take your opinions seriously. I hope to handle one this weekend (perhaps today if I can skate early down to Indy). I hope NRA gets Tam one.

Taylor22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Morgan county
    I’d like a 19 perhaps. I own a Gen4 and the finger grooves do not bother me in the slightest. I’ll wait and see the reviews and see if I can get my hands on one to Test and make a decision then. When/if they upgrade the 26, I’d be more interested in it then.

Nitro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2017
    Columbus
    I do actually like that they got rid of the finger grooves, it makes it more versatile. I also like that Glock added the beveled slide to make it easier to holster. It looks slicker, less box look to it. They also made it a lot more ambidextrous for those left handed folks out there. Never owned a Glock but have shot a few, they seem really reliable so I can only imagine how reliable there Gen 5 is going to be shooting for such a high round to jam standard.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    worddoer,

you are in the VAST minority of glock owners. I admit, for the most part, I can't stand (possibly hate glocks), the pistol and the company and the fan boi mentality. Most of them think glock is perfect, everything is a glock copy, glocks never fail, and so many police departments carry glock because they're just sooo damn perfect. They never question why something is the way it is.

I think you're one of the few people out there that may actually realize glocks can have a stoppage even. They're man mad objects and they can and will fail and as a glock fan you actually admit that there are other good pistols out there.....almost never hear that

Glock makes pistols that work most the time, that is the only credit I can give them. Does that make them the only reliable pistol out there? Hell no. Glock fan bois don't know the meaning of complimenting a good pistol because it's "a glock copy", most of them anyway. Again, you're in the minority

Your post should really impact both sides of the glock view, both supporters and haters, because there is a double standard for the bias/hate posts.

Your post was informative, non combative, and I enjoyed them.

Still can't stand glocks though

M67

Thank you for your response. It's nice to see that we can have civil discussion still. It has become a dying art in our modern social media day. It's just so much easier to yell and hate. And yet, nothing improves with that mindset.

But I will admit that I did not used to have this mindset. I seem to be becoming more libertarian-ish who wants to have civil debate as I get older.

I think Glocks are kinda like Toyota Camry's of the past. They are adequate at many things, but not perfect at anything. And now, after the military contest that also spurred innovation in the civilian market, we have more durable reliable and usable options than we ever had.

Sig P320, FN 509, FN FNS, Glock Gen 5, Steyr M, CZ P10C, HK VP9, S&W M&P 2.0, Springfield XD M or Mod2, Walther PPQ, Canik TP9 SF Elite and the Beretta APX just to name some of my top picks. They all have had issues in some form or fashion, and likewise they all have benefits as well. At least now days, we can look at all the information and decide for ourselves what pros and cons fit our needs and situation the best.

I still have not figured out why so many of us in the gun owners world lock onto a brand so tightly or become such fanatical fanboys. It seems that we attach our own personal worth to our selection. It's just a tool. I have never seen someone get that worked up over a hammer....other than Tim the Toolman Taylor. ;) To be honest, I am not into much anything else, so maybe this happens with other items as well...like vehicles. If so, this is a sad product of our current society.

For me, I am interested in the Gen 5's. They address several of my dislikes. Also, out of a practicality standpoint, I have so many mags holsters and accessories for Glocks that I am not sure if I want to / can afford to move to a new platform at this time. Maybe later. But for now, I would like to see some range reports after some hard use to see how these Gen 5's hold up and run.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I will have a G19 Gen 5. It has every feature that I want except an extended slide lock lever, and that is cheap and easy-peasy to install.

FINALLY those GD finger grooves are gone.
    Is that a smooth face trigger I see on the 19? Stock?
    From the pictures, their new finish looks like the old slick one. I like that.
    Beveled muzzle end of the slide? Looks really good. Less boxy, more sleek.

In other news, Dremel stock just took a hit. :):

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I will have a G19 Gen 5. It has every feature that I want except an extended slide lock lever, and that is cheap and easy-peasy to install.

FINALLY those GD finger grooves are gone.
    Is that a smooth face trigger I see on the 19? Stock?
    From the pictures, their new finish looks like the old slick one. I like that.
    Beveled muzzle end of the slide? Looks really good. Less boxy, more sleek.

In other news, Dremel stock just took a hit. :):

Yep another upgrade, the smooth face trigger for the 19
    The new finish does resemble the old finishes

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I just don't understand why Glocks arouse such strong feelings. I mean, it's a pistol like many others. No, it's not perfect (nothing is). Yes, it's absolutely a solid choice that has a deserved reputation for durability.

Neither the haters nor the fanboys have much credibility with me.

Talk about getting in the thick of thin things.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I just don't understand why Glocks arouse such strong feelings. I mean, it's a pistol like many others. No, it's not perfect (nothing is). Yes, it's absolutely a solid choice that has a deserved reputation for durability.

Once you care enough about a topic to get on a forum and discuss it further these arguments happen. Not just glocks the same thing goes on a garage and tool forum I frequent over snap on / mac / matco.... it goes on and on. Forum people tend to have stronger opinions because more than likely we dove into our purchases alfter already investing a ton of time investigating and comparing (tools, guns, etc etc...). I own 5 different brands of pistols and I'm very happy having a lot to choose from, but we all get roped into the marketing and brand loyalty every now and then. Sig really is pushing the subversive brand loyalty by getting people to buy into the legions so they can have exclusive access to purchase accessories with the chevron on it... Glocks get hated on all the time (most of the time it's nonsense) so people who own and enjoy shooting them often have to go on the offensive.

Then glock makes a series of changes to address what buyers are having done in the aftermarket. The changes are to widesweeping things like the grip, a lot of guys "refused" to buy a glock because of the fingergrooves alone. What is their excuse now? None so they get all amped up over glock not doing enough to differentiate the generations.

It's all nonsense and people enjoy getting worked up and having a little drama that does not matter to displace some drama going on for real.

Back on topic
    I will seriously consider a gen 5 19. I have a gen 3 Vickers 17, gen 4 34 mos, so it seems like it would just round it out nicely.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I saw on another forum that the only difference in the M vs 5 is the 5 does not have the coating on the trigger guts. You could get the parts Robar coated and be effectively same - same if that's true.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Among other reasons, because it's the standard that all polymer striker guns are inevitably compared against.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I saw on another forum that the only difference in the M vs 5 is the 5 does not have the coating on the trigger guts. You could get the parts Robar coated and be effectively same - same if that's true.

Once the police start trading in their 17M's I'll buy one of those too just for the rollmark. Even the collector glocks i own I can shoot and enjoy. Glad they finally went back to no finger grooves

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Once the police start trading in their 17M's I'll buy one of those too just for the rollmark. Even the collector glocks i own I can shoot and enjoy. Glad they finally went back to no finger grooves

I have zero personally owned Glocks. Actually, other than a Shield, I have zero personally owned polymer striker fired pistols of any kind. Everything else is a revolver or Sig TDA (and one 1911).

I'll be buying my 17M when it's at the end of it's service life.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have zero personally owned Glocks. Actually, other than a Shield, I have zero personally owned polymer striker fired pistols of any kind. Everything else is a revolver or Sig TDA (and one 1911).

I'll be buying my 17M when it's at the end of it's service life.

Will you buy it for only sentimental reasons or Will you be buying it because you like it that much for its function?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    It is supposedly the Gen5 Glocks. Should look similar to the one submitted for the Army trials.

I saw those Gen V Glocks they presented for the Military trials...and I want one! I like the older Gen II models because of the smooth grips (no bumps) and with the flared mag-well and the pic-rail...IDK...just seems like a nice 'blend' of the various models into one I might like?

Top Bottom