• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I was fortunate enough to shoot a 17M yesterday and I was impressed with it. Seems to have less felt recoil than any Glock I've shot other than a 19C but that's comparing apples and oranges. Best factory trigger I've felt on any Glock and accuracy was excellent but no farther that I shot (10 yards) not a proper test. No innovations but IMHO more of an improvement than the Gen 4 was over the Gen 3. Actually other than the mag release I'm not sure the Gen 4 was an improvement.
    I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the new model, IF it mimics the "M" model and I can see the possibility of a few converts. :) Who knows, maybe this could be the one that doesn't hate Churchmouse?:alright:

That's precisely the type of review I expect to hear from a lot of people in the coming weeks. All things considered I believe it is the best pistol Glock has produced to date.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So, what you are saying is that those of us that have not bought a new Glock since 1987 may consider this pistol?:D

I think this pistol will impress a lot of folks. It's not a night and day difference but collectively all of the small improvements yields a significantly improved handgun in my opinion. I'm not expecting it to convert any non Glock people away from their pistol of choice but the Glock folks will be very happy.

That said, it is believed by many that coming up with something bad to say about any new firearm makes someone sound like a pro so you can expect there will be plenty of that as well.

Buckeye911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    NEW PALESTINE
    I think this pistol will impress a lot of folks. It's not a night and day difference but collectively all of the small improvements yields a significantly improved handgun in my opinion. I'm not expecting it to convert any non Glock people away from their pistol of choice but the Glock folks will be very happy.

That said, it is believed by many that coming up with something bad to say about any new firearm makes someone sound like a pro so you can expect there will be plenty of that as well.

Always someone has something neg to say.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    More of the same except now without finger grooves and ambi slide stop, which only helps left hand guys. There's no true ambi mag release and no front serrations as they have talked before and the flared magwell does little

You obviously haven't shot one, or even dry fired one.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    What were you expecting? A Glock that makes espresso and does your dishes for ya? A Bedazzled Glock? Glock making 1911's?

So after all those changes.....do you still have to pull the trigger to take the thing apart? Hopefully that loaded chamber indicator saves some hands.....

I just find it funny that for glock people....glock can do no wrong. Introduce a single stack 9 years after anyone else. Keep producing one of the only pistols out there with uncomfortable finger grooves. Get "credited" for making the first striker fired pistol, even though many predate glock. I'm really shocked the ambi slide stop hasn't been credited to glock yet even though they're late to the boat on that one too.

Recall? No, never in glockland. Can we keep improving perfection? Well, yes we can, but when other companies constantly test and find better ways to do things people claim that the older pistols out there were junk and unsafe (sig reference)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    So after all those changes.....do you still have to pull the trigger to take the thing apart? Hopefully that loaded chamber indicator saves some hands.....

I just find it funny that for glock people....glock can do no wrong. Introduce a single stack 9 years after anyone else. Keep producing one of the only pistols out there with uncomfortable finger grooves. Get "credited" for making the first striker fired pistol, even though many predate glock. I'm really shocked the ambi slide stop hasn't been credited to glock yet even though they're late to the boat on that one too.

Recall? No, never in glockland. Can we keep improving perfection? Well, yes we can, but when other companies constantly test and find better ways to do things people claim that the older pistols out there were junk and unsafe (sig reference)
    C'mon man, you don't even like Emerson Knives, how can we take you all serial and stuff?

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Everything in this industry has as many fanboys as detractors. How many people praise Hi Points because "they're cheap" and "they go bang every time?"

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    C'mon man, you don't even like Emerson Knives, how can we take you all serial and stuff?

Got a point, and I don't have a lot of tats (none in fact). I've owned 1 Emerson though....and I'll admit any day of the week....ZT makes better Emersons than Emerson

Everything in this industry has as many fanboys as detractors. How many people praise Hi Points because "they're cheap" and "they go bang every time?"

Way too many, just like the people who trust their lives to Davis, Jennings, Raven, Jimmenez, etc.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't think I qualify as a Glock fan boy but I readily admit I consider them to be a very viable option. I don't feel that criticizing makes me sound like an expert and I only carry Glock pistols (and a S&W revolver) so I stay out of threads about Sig, 1911, H&K, M&P in spite of the fact that I've owned and carried them all and can shoot some of them better than I do a Glock. They all have their idiosyncrasies and the entire topic is extremely subjective so I've never felt it was my place to try to convince anyone what the "best" handgun is. I guess if everyone did that the handgun section of INGO would be pretty slow though so bash on.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I don't think I qualify as a Glock fan boy but I readily admit I consider them to be a very viable option. I don't feel that criticizing makes me sound like an expert and I only carry Glock pistols (and a S&W revolver) so I stay out of threads about Sig, 1911, H&K, M&P in spite of the fact that I've owned and carried them all and can shoot some of them better than I do a Glock. They all have their idiosyncrasies and the entire topic is extremely subjective so I've never felt it was my place to try to convince anyone what the "best" handgun is. I guess if everyone did that the handgun section of INGO would be pretty slow though so bash on.

Same here. I don't find Glock's particularly spectacular, but they do work for me and nothing has come along that I consider significantly better so I continue to plug along with them. I don't think that makes me a fanboy, but whatever. This new one has me pretty interested especially since my EDC 19 is getting pretty tired and could use a replacement.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Depends on what comes out for me, then I will wait this time until all the hype is over, and the real facts come out with some good ol boy testing.

Then I may go down to SR Jenkins and get one.

I dunno, I love my Gen 2 G-23 so much, how can you improve upon that bit of "GLOCK PERFECTION" ?!?

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County

Please quote for me the part of my post where I said Glock could do no wrong. Please quote the historical section of my post where I credited Glock with all handgun inventions. Please quote the section where I spoke of their infallibility. It seems that you have run into fanboys who are unjustly bias towards Glock. And you have created a unjust negative counter bias in yourself because of the fanboys. Although I am not perfect, I do try to be balanced and fair minded. I do think they are still a good option out of many good options that have become available in the last few years.

I freely admit that I own several Glocks. But I also agree with those that the "Perfection" marketing is hype and really old. I do not care for the polymer sights and depending on the generation, other items. However, I will also admit that most of my personal complaints have been resolved with the Gen 5 guns (assuming it is based on the "M" model shown in the thread).

My point still stands. Running around saying this is just a Gen 2 gun again is not an accurate statement. Just because it does not have finger grooves does not make it the same gun (as you implied in your earlier post #64). There have been many updates and refinements and IMHO good improvements over the Gen 2 guns....or Gen 3 or Gen 4 for that matter.

If you hate the bias that the fanboys spew, the appropriate response is not to become an equally bias hater spewing nothing but criticism. It is to give credit for the good while at the same time recognizing and admitting the faults. Glocks have both great and bad attributes, as all guns do. Ignore the marking "Perfection" hype. Realize that when compared to even the new polymer striker fired pistols on the market, Glocks still are adequately durable, reliable, and usable for many people. But admittedly, there are many great options in the last couple of years and those should be considered as well.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I've seen references to new hexagonal rifling but no details. Cut rifling, chf, similar to the current polygonal rifle with slightly different profile ???

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    worddoer,

you are in the VAST minority of glock owners. I admit, for the most part, I can't stand (possibly hate glocks), the pistol and the company and the fan boi mentality. Most of them think glock is perfect, everything is a glock copy, glocks never fail, and so many police departments carry glock because they're just sooo damn perfect. They never question why something is the way it is.

I think you're one of the few people out there that may actually realize glocks can have a stoppage even. They're man mad objects and they can and will fail and as a glock fan you actually admit that there are other good pistols out there.....almost never hear that

Glock makes pistols that work most the time, that is the only credit I can give them. Does that make them the only reliable pistol out there? Hell no. Glock fan bois don't know the meaning of complimenting a good pistol because it's "a glock copy", most of them anyway. Again, you're in the minority

Your post should really impact both sides of the glock view, both supporters and haters, because there is a double standard for the bias/hate posts.

Your post was informative, non combative, and I enjoyed them.

Still can't stand glocks though

Top Bottom