• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I don't see what I really wanted. Three things:
    3) This one I had hope for. I wanted to see the dropped gun rule changed.

They did. Any dropped gun is a DQ now, whether loaded or not.
    Page six, item S2.

I'm happy about that, no matter what else is changed.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    My brain starts to hurty after reading a bunch. I don't like the kneepad ruling where it has to be hidden... if I need a knee pad and it's 120 degrees outside I have to wear pants? WTH is that all about?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm going over it a second time so I might need another pair of eyes, but is it now calling out that shots designated for the body only count in the body of the target? No "Head Shots are Body Shots" deal? It sort of sounds that way but it also sounds like a specific course of fire description of 2 to the body is what they are talking about.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm pretty underwhelmed so far. Have barely skimmed the book, but going from the reports around the internet...

still no language to ensure clubs follow the book and not make up their own rules: :noway:
    (eg not requiring membership, muzzles pointed over berm on reloads, etc)

[STRIKE] a .22 division:
    So much for the "spirit" of the game.[/STRIKE]
    [No such rule to be found in the book... internet rumor??]

no more round dumping rule: :yesway:

still confusing as Fk when you can/can't reload: :noway:

still confusing as Fk when you can/can't move between positions: :noway:

much of the revision focused on equipment dribble: :noway:

much of the revision focused on classification system dribble: :noway:

still no kneepads + shorts in a game that requires you to take a knee frequently, often in rocks: :noway:

[STRIKE]Still no 180: [/STRIKE]
    s1.2 allows for a 180: :yesway:
    I'll give that a thumbs up, but it's really only 1/2 thumb since IMO it should be mandatory.
    (muzzle safe points require you to see what the shooter sees to make an accurate call.)

So far, the thumbs up rate is [STRIKE]1/9[/STRIKE] 1.5/8

-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Confirmed IDPA Rule Book Changes

• Authorization for a .22lr class for local matches to reduce the cost of participation and make it even more new shooter friendly.
    I can't find anything about .22 in the book.... I've done text searches for .22, .22LR, rimfire, rim, etc ....

-rvb

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    From here it looks like they fell by about 10 seconds pretty much across the board and are now just a second or three south of esp. Maybe I'm seeing things wrong.

I agree with you that there is a whole lot of good stuff. :):
    I don't like the Texas Star being called out as a no - no, I understand why, but , heck, it is fun.
    The 'shoot one match and then you must join' thing is really my only big heartburn. Good for IDPA HQ salaries but bad for other purposes, at my local club it is unenforceable anyway, you can't have a match and exclude any club member.

Yes, you are right, totally my mistake on SSP. I thought the new time is what it's always been. Which makes me now wonder why in the world we haven't all shot it MA already:laugh: I might just get the 9 out and try it next time.

Thanks for sharing that about RB, I didn't know it. Anytime folks start jibbering about "we're going to follow ALL the rules" that's the first thing that comes to mind. Makes sense now.

My brain starts to hurty after reading a bunch. I don't like the kneepad ruling where it has to be hidden... if I need a knee pad and it's 120 degrees outside I have to wear pants? WTH is that all about?

Fortunately, Mike, you will only need knee pads now on the last shot/string of a course. Kneeling and getting up to finish a course is out, unless, of course, there's mud:):

[/LIST]I can't find anything about .22 in the book.... I've done text searches for .22, .22LR, rimfire, rim, etc ....

-rvb

I don't see it either. Joyce announced it, but it's just not there that I can find.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Yes, you are right, totally my mistake on SSP. I thought the new time is what it's always been. Which makes me now wonder why in the world we haven't all shot it MA already:laugh: I might just get the 9 out and try it next time.

Thanks for sharing that about RB, I didn't know it. Anytime folks start jibbering about "we're going to follow ALL the rules" that's the first thing that comes to mind. Makes sense now.

Fortunately, Mike, you will only need knee pads now on the last shot/string of a course. Kneeling and getting up to finish a course is out, unless, of course, there's mud:):

I don't see it either. Joyce announced it, but it's just not there that I can find.

There needs to be a mud rule where you have to have a COF that has a slip hazard and if you do, but are safe, you get extra points or something. Or have lots of mud where the kneeling would take place :D

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    well, I'll hold final judgement until this is out of draft form, but my draft verdict is this update isn't improved enough for me to renew my membership...

-rvb

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Anybody know what the new rules will be if your gun breaks? I read past it maybe or just couldn't find it.

In explanation, current rules say you have to replace a busted gun with one of the same type, action and caliber. I'm hosed as I'm a one like this and one like that person. For example, I could shoot one of 4 guns in esp but couldn't use any gun as a backup for any other :n00b:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Anybody know what the new rules will be if your gun breaks? I read past it maybe or just couldn't find it.

In explanation, current rules say you have to replace a busted gun with one of the same type, action and caliber. I'm hosed as I'm a one like this and one like that person. For example, I could shoot one of 4 guns in esp but couldn't use any gun as a backup for any other :n00b:

You don't have 2 1911s in the same caliber? Wow!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    You don't have 2 1911s in the same caliber?

Just ain't normally a belt and suspenders kind of person.

Might really ought to be if I'm going to think about traveling to a bigger match a couple times a year I suppose. Worst case I think a 2011 could be considered the same type and action as a 1911 so maybe I could do something like that and still have a viva la difference thing a goin.

Was really hoping that the new rules would let your back up gun just be any legal gun for the class you are shooting.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Ah -ha

Submitted By
    Ty Clark on 5/7/2013 at 10:33 PM
    Issue Related To
    Equipment
    Specific Rule (Section
    F2.B.8
    Issue With Current Rule
    The rule states you must use the same firearm unless in becomes unserviceable but does not specify what my used as a backup.
    Proposed Solution
    Allow any firearm that is legal in the division be used should the original firearm become unserviceable.
    Hide

Maybe there is hope for me yet. Would go along with the 'keep things affordable' goal.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Just ain't normally a belt and suspenders kind of person.

Might really ought to be if I'm going to think about traveling to a bigger match a couple times a year I suppose. Worst case I think a 2011 could be considered the same type and action as a 1911 so maybe I could do something like that and still have a viva la difference thing a goin.

Was really hoping that the new rules would let your back up gun just be any legal gun for the class you are shooting.

I'm sure they'll get this one sorted out before finalizing the rulebook per the proposal you listed below.

In my opinion, it's just good insurance to have a back-up gun if you're shooting majors. When you put together the time, fuel, entry fees and so forth you can loose a lot if a 3 cent spring snaps on your gun. Of course, I probably go overboard with it. Not only do I have a back-up, I keep a enough springs, pins and parts in my range bag to practically build a new revolver as well:laugh: That vid of Jerry's gun breaking on him encouraged me to do so.

Now, to some other rules. If I'm interpreting everything correctly it seems that we've gained the opportunity to reload in the open on the move. We're keeping the opportunity to tac-reload on the move behind cover. But we've lost the opportunity to load on the move behind cover. Interesting. The nice thing about IDPA is that everyone basically has to go about the course the same way, so nothing is lost as a competitive advantage. But, if the rule stays as is, I'll probably have to learn it the hard way through a procedural or two:laugh:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    In my opinion, it's just good insurance to have a back-up gun if you're shooting majors. When you put together the time, fuel, entry fees and so forth you can loose a lot if a 3 cent spring snaps on your gun.

Now, to some other rules. If I'm interpreting everything correctly it seems that we've gained the opportunity to reload in the open on the move. We're keeping the opportunity to tac-reload on the move behind cover. But we've lost the opportunity to load on the move behind cover. Interesting. The nice thing about IDPA is that everyone basically has to go about the course the same way, so nothing is lost as a competitive advantage. But, if the rule stays as is, I'll probably have to learn it the hard way through a procedural or two:laugh:

Besides being a good idea there is a definite cool factor. The master that normally beats everyone else (hence forth to be referred to as the master beater, or MB for short) lost his front optic at Lewisport and then just calmly walked to his truck and grabbed an identical gun. That is just neat.

Thinking about the reloading stuff makes my head hurty too, I'm going to save that pain till after all is said and done.
    Saw where a 150 pf was proposed for esr, I think I like 150 with a 200 grain or lighter bullet but with a 230 grain I'm not sure that 652 fps makes for a viable self defense load???

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    there is going to be a lot to digest both as a shooter and as an SO...heck, even the score keeper has his duties properly outlined so everybody is going to have to go back to school it seems. That is a good thing I think. So far I haven't seen much that has disappointed me...I'm overjoyed at the 'round dumping' decision! :D

Top Bottom