• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For those of you shooting IDPA, the organization finally released the new rulebook. I found it last night... What's new?... don't know yet... need to read it.They have changes outlined in red to flag the new parts. Seems like more info on running a match and responsibilities of SO's and MD's, Just have to go check it out!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    For those of you shooting IDPA, the organization finally released the new rulebook. I found it last night... What's new?... don't know yet... need to read it.They have changes outlined in red to flag the new parts. Seems like more info on running a match and responsibilities of SO's and MD's, Just have to go check it out!

will have to give it a read tonight..... we'll see if they improved it enough for me to renew my membership. They took long enough....

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    From the top of the first page of the "new" rules:

Effective April 15, 2005

[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]Language from the Rules Addendum 07062010 has been[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]
    [FONT=Arial,Bold]inserted in the appropriate placed in red type face. The pages[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Bold]numbers will vary from the original[/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

This looks to be the 2005 rules w/ the 2010 addendum inserted in red.

"nothing to see here. Move along."

-rvb

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Looks pretty much the same. 1911 guys get an extra ounce for CDP, and there's an explicit allowance for tri-topping, hi-power cuts and whatnot. (Can't have wizz-bang Wilson custom guns being ruled illegal, now can we? )

Those Tiger Teams sure were super busy these last 2 years! :laugh:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    mostly fine tuning some of the rules... the only one I don't care for is "At no time is it permissible to fire while holding a magazine or speed loader/moon clip."

If it is OK to fire while holding a flashlight, baby seat , doorknob or what ever, then holding a magazine is not different..
    As long as the magazine in question started in a holder or pocket..

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Did you see the new FTDR penalty for failure to wear enough 5.11 and/or 'tactical' branded gear and clothing?

:laugh:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    :): I was waiting for someone to pick up on it, but wanted to see what folks would say.:D

I figured something was up when there was no talk on enos... then when I couldn't find any news on idpaforum, I decided to take the time to open the rules myself. If new rules were out, those forums would be abuzz w/ threads on major changes... a form of cliffnotes if you will...

it made it even better that even after I pointed out they are the same old rules, we got comments about the "changes." :facepalm:

I figured the tiger teams would have new rules out before my membership expired (had a couple years to go), then I could decide whether to renew or not... but they must be raising those tiger teams from cubs. my membership expired a couple months ago... interest in the outcome is waning... :coffee:

-rvb

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I figured something was up when there was no talk on enos... then when I couldn't find any news on idpaforum, I decided to take the time to open the rules myself. If new rules were out, those forums would be abuzz w/ threads on major changes... a form of cliffnotes if you will...

it made it even better that even after I pointed out they are the same old rules, we got comments about the "changes." :facepalm:

I figured the tiger teams would have new rules out before my membership expired (had a couple years to go), then I could decide whether to renew or not... but they must be raising those tiger teams from cubs. my membership expired a couple months ago... interest in the outcome is waning... :coffee:

-rvb

Yeah, even if the book was released today it's still going to be a long time before it's finalized. Their plan is to send the book out to the membership and have the membership comment on it. The book then goes back for review in light of the comments/problems/suggestions/general gripes and THEN will be finalized. They have set up a section on the website for those comments/questions/clarifications, so at least they've got that far. Still, it's going to be a while.

The only thing I know for sure about the rulebook is that at the indoor nats Joyce said the book was in hand save for one team (administrative, or something) and that they were "not looking to be IPSC lite but wanted to get back to IDPA's roots."

I have absolutely on idea what that means:dunno:

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Had me going for a minute. The last I heard was May or June, and that was only about two weeks ago, so the new rules appearing sooner rather than later was the last I expected.
    I predict first look in September, and finalization in Oct-Nov for a Jan 1 effective date.

P.S.-
    Don't you just love all the categories on the IDPA forum with "Pre-2012" and "Post- 2012 Rules" in the title? Kinda missed that 2012 thing. FTN

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Got an email from Joyce tonight about the new book. It will be up on the website for the membership to look at from May 7-28. Members can post input during that time. After the 28th it will go back for review and finalization.

Looking forward to what they came up with. I'm hoping for an optics division because I think M&P COREs are cool:D

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    You know, I wasn't all that concerned/excited so forth with the new rulebook coming out (tomorrow), but these snippets that Joyce spoke about have got me interested! Here's a few I've come across from her interviews:

Springfields are in for SSP

Confirmed IDPA Rule Book Changes

• An increased flexibility for local clubs to hold specialty matches (like the Backup Gun Nationals) for specific guns or people.
    • Authorization for a .22lr class for local matches to reduce the cost of participation and make it even more new shooter friendly.
    • SSP has been redefined to be for striker fired guns
    • Changes to the rule using muzzle safe points
    • Development of a code of conduct
    • Changes to the clothing rules (vest, kneepads…)
    • Changes to the classifier
    • Allowance for shooters to move backwards in classification
    • Annual review of the rule book
    Confirmed No’s

In addition to the confirmed changes there were a few confirmed “No’s” that I believe will be of interest to many members.
    • CDP will remain 45acp only.
    • There will be no power factor changes for ESR or SSR
    • Appendix carry is still forbidden
    • Slide mounted optics are still a no… for now
    “You’ll have to wait for Monday Tuesday”

Lastly there were a number questions that weren’t “specifically” answered and you’ll need to judge the meaning for yourself (although I think we should expect changes).
    • Changes to the classifier scoring
    • Maximum trigger weight
    • Standardization of the gun weight
    • Legalization of caliber conversions
    • Penalties for dropping loaded mags
    • Requirement of loading to division capacity
    • Ability to move across openings with an unloaded gun after engaging all the threats
    • Simplification of the cover call
    • Change to the round dumping rules
    You can check it out here: IDPA's Joyce Wilson talks about recent IDPA rule book change - When the Balloon Goes Up!

The only one I'm sad about is the "NO" to optics- I WANT A CORE!:laugh:

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Confirmed IDPA Rule Book Changes

• Authorization for a .22lr class for local matches to reduce the cost of participation and make it even more new shooter friendly.

• I'll be in the minority, but I don't like this.
      It's Defensive Pistol, not a rimfire game. There are rimfire games out there, so IDPA doesn't need to be one.
    Confirmed No’s

In addition to the confirmed changes there were a few confirmed “No’s” that I believe will be of interest to many members.
    • CDP will remain 45acp only.

• Another one I don't like. I wanted 10mm back in CDP. Still waiting for a good explanation why it was dropped. Saying "It only effected the three people in the country who ever shot 10mm" is cute but not an explanation.

• Ability to move across openings with an unloaded gun after engaging all the threats

• Yay! Yeah, I have complaints already, but that one right there makes up for a lot. I hated that ruling before. If they were threats and you neutralized them, they were no longer threats. Now, I assume that if you think you neutralized them, move across, then find in scoring you didn't- you are hosed. That should make things interesting.

[*]Simplification of the cover call
        That's one I will have to see. Could be good. Could be bad.

-------------

I don't see what I really wanted. Three things:
        1) I'd like to see the scoring times changed. A full second per point down would be fine with me. I also know it won't happen.
        2) A bigger penalty for an FTN. If the real life threat was truly an immediate threat to your life and you didn't neutralize it, you failed and may die. The scoring penalty should hurt bad. I didn't expect to see that change either.
        3) This one I had hope for. I wanted to see the dropped gun rule changed.
        Further explanation on that one:

As it stands now:
        -If you drop a loaded gun, you're DQd.
        -If you drop an unloaded gun, it's up to the SO or MD.
        I think it should be a DQ regardless. What are the first words in the rule book? All guns are always loaded. Then later in the book it gives two different actions to be taken, depending on whether the gun is loaded or not. Why? They say to always treat them as loaded, then do that.

This rule saved me once. I banged my elbow into a stage wall when showing clear and lost the gun. Per the book, I was not DQd. I feel I was negligent, even though the gun wasn't loaded. Did I want to be DQd? No, of course not, but I'd have volunteered to be if it would have got the rule changed.

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm liking this more and more as I look through it.

Round Dumping no more, although FTDR is left, it's basically left for explicit cheating.

No more sandbagging. Like USPSA you can only drop one class belows your highest class in semi or revolver.

The database is now the official record keeping of IDPA, not the cards. All classifier scores, etc must be uploaded in 7 days. I'm sure HQ would allow an extension for something like a computer crash experienced at RB.

As mentioned, no more revolver neutral business. Reloads are cool in the open.

One thing I'm surprised about is that SSP classifier times didn't fall. CDP and ESP did (slightly). Interesting.

Weight has been moved up in SSP but the dustcover business still applies. XDs are in.

New terminology "pull the trigger" instead of "hammer down.":laugh:

45Gap is cool in 45acp designated guns. Might look into that a bit:D

All in all, good stuff!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    One thing I'm surprised about is that SSP classifier times didn't fall. CDP and ESP did (slightly). Interesting.

All in all, good stuff!

From here it looks like they fell by about 10 seconds pretty much across the board and are now just a second or three south of esp. Maybe I'm seeing things wrong.

I agree with you that there is a whole lot of good stuff. :):
    I don't like the Texas Star being called out as a no - no, I understand why, but , heck, it is fun.
    The 'shoot one match and then you must join' thing is really my only big heartburn. Good for IDPA HQ salaries but bad for other purposes, at my local club it is unenforceable anyway, you can't have a match and exclude any club member.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Old times
    Times for: CDP ESP SSP ESR SSR
    Master (MA) 91.76 or less 89.41 or less 98.82 or less 100.82 or less 102.35 or less

New times
    Times for: ESP SSP CDP ESR SSR
    Master (MA)
    89.00 or
    Less
    91.00 or
    less
    92.00 or
    less
    101.00 or
    less
    102.00 or
    less

CDP 91.76 goes to 92 (up .24)
    ESP 89.41 goes to 89 (down .41)
    SSP 98.8 goes to 91 (down 7.8)
    ESR 100.82 goes to 101 (up .18)
    SSR 102.35 goes to 102 (down .35)

Big drop in the SSP time, 98.8 down to 91 flat, but the rest are about the same, give or take a few tenths.

Top Bottom