• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Disagree. Shotgun it's extremely hard to master. I can sit a full weekend with a new shooter and them very proficient with an ar. It takes years for a casual shooter to be competitive with a shotgun. Keeping a shotgun fed is extremely hard, then trying to get 2 rounds on moving target with a pump is even harder. Add low light, maneuvering indoors with an 18"bbl, keeping multiple targets tracked while pumping...

Shotguns are easy is a myth.

I had some pumps but they are not for me as you say. I found the 930 Mossburg and never looked back. Owned a few and had pretty solid performance on all but 1 that I bought from and Ingo member that lied about the gun. Go figure. But I repaired it and it was flawless with just a bit of effort on my part.

Pump guns rock. I like them well enough but with age comes choices.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Disagree. Shotgun it's extremely hard to master. I can sit a full weekend with a new shooter and them very proficient with an ar. It takes years for a casual shooter to be competitive with a shotgun. Keeping a shotgun fed is extremely hard, then trying to get 2 rounds on moving target with a pump is even harder. Add low light, maneuvering indoors with an 18"bbl, keeping multiple targets tracked while pumping...

Shotguns are easy is a myth.

I don't think you're gonna master anything doing it only 3-4 times a year. I also don't think shotguns are easy. I do believe that shotguns make formidable home defense guns when someone can run one.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I don't think you're gonna master anything doing it only 3-4 times a year. I also don't think shotguns are easy. I do believe that shotguns make formidable home defense guns when someone can run one.

I can turn a casual shooter into an effective defensive shooter over a weekend with an ar15. You just don't see those results with shotguns. And no need to be a master, most defensive gun uses are by casuals.

If you have a range to yourself or with some friends, set up 5 to 10 targets and random distances behind varying cover. Time a run with a pistol, shotgun, and an ar15. The ar wil be consistently the fastest and most accurate choice in any sampling of shooters.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My shtf rifle is a lightweight Bushmaster carbon with a red dot and fore grip. But nothing has actually hit the fan yet. I had it a while, and it hits where I point it. Buy enough rifles and you'll finally find the one. I'm still looking for the other.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Remington 870 20Ga. American Engineered, American Made. Easy to Master. If you are sportsman minded as well as defense you can even get it in Nice Walnut.

I'll disagree also, especially a pump for someone relatively inexperienced. Limited capacity, slow to reload, more recoil than necessary even with 20 ga., limited range, etc. Then there is the short stroke problem and you still have to aim. The less a person needs to do to operate it, the better.
    My vote is also for the AR. Easy to learn, virtually no recoil, reloads are fast, heck of a lot more capacity, if need be 300+ yd shots are possible. Only downside it the initial $ may be a little higher.
    A S&W M&P Sport II or Ruger AR556 is around $550 or so, a decent long battery life red dot another $150. Buy a couple spare mags and a few hundred rounds of practice ammo and a couple boxes of good defense ammo for SHTF. Still under a grand total. I've got both rifles I've mentioned, no problems at all, and are surprisingly accurate.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'm partial to shotguns AND ARs. I like an 1187 for the unwelcome doorbreaker greeting committee, backed up by a spiffy 870. But for general defensive use, not much beats an old AR carbine and a couple of magazines. Not being one of the cool kids, I do prefer old fashioned carry handle mounted irons. But that's just me.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Agreed that the myth that shotguns are easy is false. That being true, I Love the Shotgun! Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590 with an 18”-20” barrel and setup correctly with a shorter stock, good sights and some extra ammo is an economical and effective tool.

Right now the best bang for the buck has to be an AR-15. Prices are creeping up as availability is starting to go down. People have been snatching up ARs this week.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sounds like a good plan. As I incur more health problems I think that a PCC that uses g17 mags to match my pistol would be easier to use than my win 1300. I also think it would be easier for wife and 15yo daughter to use. I guess it all depends on an individuals situation, closeness of neighbors, health, etc.

Careful. I gave my wife a quick intro on the AR-9 because I had to leave on business in the middle of this madness and I wanted her to have more tools than her EDC pistol. She found it heavy and wasnt comfortable with it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Careful. I gave my wife a quick intro on the AR-9 because I had to leave on business in the middle of this madness and I wanted her to have more tools than her EDC pistol. She found it heavy and wasnt comfortable with it.

Interesting, does she handle any other long guns?

If I may ask what brand and length AR9 you have, I was leaning towards a 10.5" pistol but far from making a decision.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Interesting, does she handle any other long guns?

If I may ask what brand and length AR9 you have, I was leaning towards a 10.5" pistol but far from making a decision.

No, strictly a pistol packin mamma. LOL

Its a 16" PSA AR-9. LOVE the thing.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

For comparison, my wife does enjoy long guns but even she wasn’t fond of the weight of my 10.5” AR9. We ended up building her own 7” AR9 to help control the weight.

The other thing to keep in mind is that AR9s don’t necessarily have the softest recoil. It’s not bad by any means, but it can be more than expected. We run the Taccom3G 3 stage buffer system in both of ours as is smooths the recoil impulse out.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

Ive got a 2"9mm upper i can pin on my pdw braced lower. It's an absolute unit. I need to try an endomag so i don't have to swap in a colt adapter.

20200605130449.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For comparison, my wife does enjoy long guns but even she wasn’t fond of the weight of my 10.5” AR9. We ended up building her own 7” AR9 to help control the weight.

The other thing to keep in mind is that AR9s don’t necessarily have the softest recoil. It’s not bad by any means, but it can be more than expected. We run the Taccom3G 3 stage buffer system in both of ours as is smooths the recoil impulse out.

running 147s I find helps. Everyone that has shot 147s say they really like the impulse. Its very smooth.

You can also run a CMMG Banshee upper (I think) That has a special bolt that tries to mimic the rolling block of the MP5. I think they call it radial blowback.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    running 147s I find helps. Everyone that has shot 147s say they really like the impulse. Its very smooth.

You can also run a CMMG Banshee upper (I think) That has a special bolt that tries to mimic the rolling block of the MP5. I think they call it radial blowback.

Agree on both counts. 147s feel great and CMMG’s radial system is an awesome choice.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

Then you need to get her an AR pistol like mine that you shot at ProTeq.

Attachments

• DSC_8963w.jpg
      DSC_8963w.jpg
      76.9 KB · Views: 19

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've become a big fan of 10 gauge shotguns after some experiments and tests. Point at a muzzle flash and with 18 00 pellets it's almost a guaranteed hit. That's half the magazine of an AR, all at once.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Ok, to update, primary purpose would be home defense vs raging mobs. I have other guns to carry if I feel the need. I will definitely train and learn the gun but doubt I'll be at the range often because I work a lot.

5.56 AR seems like a good place to start. Any brands to avoid? Any features to look for? Would like to stay under $1k but decent quality is priority.

Do most all of them come with 30 round mags?
    Well, if your looking to deal with short ranged situations where multiple targets may have to be dealt with, then how bout a pistol caliber carbine? Check out the Ruger offerings.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I've become a big fan of 10 gauge shotguns after some experiments and tests. Point at a muzzle flash and with 18 00 pellets it's almost a guaranteed hit. That's half the magazine of an AR, all at once.

Wow. 10 gauge for home defense .Ouch. I've got a 20ga shockwave that sends 20 1/4" pellets. With LESS recoil and faster follow up shots. ;)

Top Bottom